AM tyres... what you running?

patches

the NN twas 2.25 pacestar, snakeskin jobbie that predated super gravity.

Wrt HR availability, Maxxis has a larger presence in ZA than Schwalbe, meaning your LBS should be able to source it for you.

Are the NN oversized compared to their rated width? What you width are you running on the back

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the NN oversized compared to their rated width? What you width are you running on the back

with the NN @ 2.25, it paired with an HD at the back @ 2.35. 

With the Magic Mary, it was both front and rear @ 2.35.

Now, its MM up front, with the 2.4 High Roller II at the back.

Took some measurements for you. At the current tyre pressures:

Maxxis HR II:

knob to knob:57.78mm

carcass width: 54.90mm

Stated width (2.4): 60.96mm

Magic Mary:

k2k: 62.68mm

carcass: 57.52mm

stated width (2.35): 59.69mm

I'm not sure what the standard measurement for bicycle width's should be, I'm assuming the widest measurement is the most important as that will determine whether it fits within the available space on a frame.

Schwalbe says the tolerance for tyre widths is +/-3mm, with the preference for being at the lower end so as to beat frame clearance requirements.

So comparing k2k with stated widths for the two tyres:

HR II: - 3.18 mm

MM: +2.99 mm

Minion is slightly smaller and slightly outside of schwalbe's lower tolerance, while Schwalbe is larger, but just within tolerance.

Maxxis therefore is definitely narrower than stated.

So to answer your question, if the MM's measurements can be taken as standard across all of Schwalbe's offerings, then I'd have to guess that the NN's width wont be oversized, but on the wider end of the tolerance range.

Edited by Capricorn

Those are all pretty close to spec, apparently the width is supposed to be of the carcase but lots of debate around that in the webs, esp guys shouting about lots of the contis being minute/undersized.

i'd imagine there'd be lots of debate. If we look at just the carcass numbers, then the Maxxis is definitely overstated ( carcass 6mm narrower than stated width) with schwalbe being on target relative to stated tolerances.

I think a lot of the stuff on the interwebs lack's proper context, ie someone says one tyre is wider than the other, and no one asks for numbers to back up the claim. It then gets repeated until it sounds like a truth, like that that near standard claim that Schwalbe tyres are generally oversized. Clearly not.

Edited by Capricorn

No compo. Just something very interesting that I knew you'd get in on as well...

jeepers, what was the chances we were reading the exact same article independent of each other... cos i posted that to facebook 15min before u posted here..hmm, the stats on that...

Currently running Maxxis Ignitor Lust 2.35 front and Maxxis Ardent Lust 2.25 rear. Very happy with the performance.

My previous setup was a 2.35 Maxxis Highroller front and a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT rear. Also a nice combo, just got a bit randy on the rear in some corners. Nothing wrong with controlled drfting eh.

Edited by Brian Fantana

jeepers, what was the chances we were reading the exact same article independent of each other... cos i posted that to facebook 15min before u posted here..hmm, the stats on that...

Well, I'm thus case it was nil. Cos I read it as a result of you linking it in FB. And then posted it here before you could ;-P

Currently running Maxxis Ignitor Lust 2.35 front and Maxxis Ardent Lust 2.25 rear. Very happy with the performance.

My previous setup was a 2.35 Maxxis Highroller front and a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT rear. Also a nice combo, just got a bit randy on the rear in some corners. Nothing wrong with controlled drfting eh.

Any chance you have a vernier handy to measure those?

Well, I'm thus case it was nil. Cos I read it as a result of you linking it in FB. And then posted it here before you could ;-P

hahahaha.. no worries man.  As for those hills, if the climbs were a competition, then it was a pyrrhic victory. meh. also, i picked up a bug for my efforts. Coughs and fevers. yay.. :(

Salient point from the study:

The most overestimated aspect here is the frequently criticized extra weight of the wider tyre. To accelerate a pair of tyres with an extra weight of 500 g from 0 to 25 kph in 4 seconds requires an additional 4.2 W power. On the other hand the wider tyre on a grassy surface saves you 15.5 W against a narrower specimen, and this at the low speed of 9.5 kph. Moreover the rolling resistance reduction has a continuous effect while lighter weight is only of relevance during acceleration.

Salient point from the study:

The most overestimated aspect here is the frequently criticized extra weight of the wider tyre. To accelerate a pair of tyres with an extra weight of 500 g from 0 to 25 kph in 4 seconds requires an additional 4.2 W power. On the other hand the wider tyre on a grassy surface saves you 15.5 W against a narrower specimen, and this at the low speed of 9.5 kph. Moreover the rolling resistance reduction has a continuous effect while lighter weight is only of relevance during acceleration.

Can anyone say fatbike?