AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just put a set of Hans Dampf pacestar on my rig, front and back, moved over from Bronsens and have some observations.

WTB Bronsen

• I am no pro rider but believe i have a relatively decent skill set and ride all my equipment very hard, i found the bronsens to be very good at straight up rolling and hard cornering( by this is mean leaning more than 25 to 30 degrees over from 90 degrees, onto the side tread) but i always felt uneasy on the transition from 90 to a hard lean. dont get me wrong i am not saying they were bad in any way but i just always had the feeling they were right on the edge of me seeing my face in the dirt.
  • yes i know it may be a skills issue but i never had this problem or feeling on my MK2 ust's
  • the 2.3 tire was a perfect choice for my style or riding and was surprised at the weight, it was light and performed well under most conditions and everywhere i tend to ride
  • i may have not had the air pressure set right for my weight which caused the issues i had i will admit but honestly i dont want to take 6 months playing with pressure to find the sweet spot.
  • one observation i had is the tread when rolling looked( from the day i put them on) and looking from the top down, to be almost worn to the point of considering new tires. this i put down to the tread blocks being so close together and this always disappeared when i stopped and looked at the actual tread left( mind over matter thing i guess)

schwalbe Hans Dampf

• the Hans Dampf are frikken heavy, more so than any other tire i have ever owned. they are very wide and seem bigger than the 2.35 as stated. i do believe they are being conservative when they state 2.35.
  • i was only able to get the pace star compound of the Hans but must be honest they grip like there is no tomorrow. no matter how i ride, fast, slow, aggressive or tame they are predictable and behave in the exact same way no matter what i do to them.
  • They are possibly the easiest tubeless setup i have ever done seating with a hand pump and a little aggressive masturbation type shaking with no problem.
  • the tread blocks are very big and quiet widely spaced.
  • my skills issue seems to be non existent with the hans.

someone said the Hans are wet weather tires but i couldn't find any information to confirm this anywhere so figure stuff it ill ride them in everything like i do all my other kit. also i have only done dry JHB winter riding on them so cant comment on wet weather performance as yet. but i am very very impressed. they are expensive but if you can find them buy them as i have been told by several LBS's that they are no longer being brought into the country( this is according to the agents apparently).

i managed to get them at R480 a tire so it was a no brainier for e to buy them, but have seen them from R550 up to R850 each.

so there you go thats my 2c worth for anyone that may want an average joe type report on the 2 sets.

again i state dont get me wrong the Bronsens are great at the price i just didnt have huge confidence i while using them for my everyday type of ride.

i will however be putting them onto my ss project as they look awesome and well lets face it i have them in the garage anyway.

Nice reviews. I like the way my Bronsons force me to commit and lean the bike over properly. :D

Taahir, take Dave up on his offer. He's been waxing lyrical about those tyres and he (like me) needs as much grip as he can get.

I know i know,

but first i have to sort this issue out. see i have a faulty tyre that is going back to the store so... (not going to get into it, tell you in person).

Nice reviews. I like the way my Bronsons force me to commit and lean the bike over properly. :D

This Bronson tyre seems very confusing.

I know i know,

but first i have to sort this issue out. see i have a faulty tyre that is going back to the store so... (not going to get into it, tell you in person).

Awesome. good luck dude

• 3 weeks later...

Have just put a set of Hans Dampf pacestar on my rig, front and back, moved over from Bronsens and have some observations.

WTB Bronsen

• I am no pro rider but believe i have a relatively decent skill set and ride all my equipment very hard, i found the bronsens to be very good at straight up rolling and hard cornering( by this is mean leaning more than 25 to 30 degrees over from 90 degrees, onto the side tread) but i always felt uneasy on the transition from 90 to a hard lean. dont get me wrong i am not saying they were bad in any way but i just always had the feeling they were right on the edge of me seeing my face in the dirt.
  • yes i know it may be a skills issue but i never had this problem or feeling on my MK2 ust's
  • the 2.3 tire was a perfect choice for my style or riding and was surprised at the weight, it was light and performed well under most conditions and everywhere i tend to ride
  • i may have not had the air pressure set right for my weight which caused the issues i had i will admit but honestly i dont want to take 6 months playing with pressure to find the sweet spot.
  • one observation i had is the tread when rolling looked( from the day i put them on) and looking from the top down, to be almost worn to the point of considering new tires. this i put down to the tread blocks being so close together and this always disappeared when i stopped and looked at the actual tread left( mind over matter thing i guess)

schwalbe Hans Dampf

• the Hans Dampf are frikken heavy, more so than any other tire i have ever owned. they are very wide and seem bigger than the 2.35 as stated. i do believe they are being conservative when they state 2.35.
  • i was only able to get the pace star compound of the Hans but must be honest they grip like there is no tomorrow. no matter how i ride, fast, slow, aggressive or tame they are predictable and behave in the exact same way no matter what i do to them.
  • They are possibly the easiest tubeless setup i have ever done seating with a hand pump and a little aggressive masturbation type shaking with no problem.
  • the tread blocks are very big and quiet widely spaced.
  • my skills issue seems to be non existent with the hans.

someone said the Hans are wet weather tires but i couldn't find any information to confirm this anywhere so figure stuff it ill ride them in everything like i do all my other kit. also i have only done dry JHB winter riding on them so cant comment on wet weather performance as yet. but i am very very impressed. they are expensive but if you can find them buy them as i have been told by several LBS's that they are no longer being brought into the country( this is according to the agents apparently).

i managed to get them at R480 a tire so it was a no brainier for e to buy them, but have seen them from R550 up to R850 each.

so there you go thats my 2c worth for anyone that may want an average joe type report on the 2 sets.

again i state dont get me wrong the Bronsens are great at the price i just didnt have huge confidence i while using them for my everyday type of ride.

i will however be putting them onto my ss project as they look awesome and well lets face it i have them in the garage anyway.

So would you buy 2.25 HDs next time? I'm looking at getting one for the front, but I'm afraid that the 2.35 is going to be too tractor. I have 2.35 Nic at the moment and that's pretty big. Flowtrail rims.

So would you buy 2.25 HDs next time? I'm looking at getting one for the front, but I'm afraid that the 2.35 is going to be too tractor. I have 2.35 Nic at the moment and that's pretty big. Flowtrail rims.

How are the HD on tar.

Get wide rims, makes my 2.25's look like tractor tires, but at a lower weight obviously.

Ya, the Flowtrails aren't narrowest rims around, and the Nics puff up on them. Think I'll do the 2.25 HD.

Ya, the Flowtrails aren't narrowest rims around, and the Nics puff up on them. Think I'll do the 2.25 HD.

I run a 2.35 HD on the front, also on a Flowtrail, it works a treat and doesn't look overly massive. In fact, I'm going to be moving it to the rear with the arrival of a new Trailstar HD, also 2.35.

I run a 2.35 HD on the front, also on a Flowtrail, it works a treat and doesn't look overly massive. In fact, I'm going to be moving it to the rear with the arrival of a new Trailstar HD, also 2.35.

Oh I will be buying Trailstar. Done with Pacestar in the front. Thanks for that.

Oh I will be buying Trailstar. Done with Pacestar in the front. Thanks for that.

Easybike are getting stock soon,I wanna run a trail star front and pace star rear,just worried if that 2.35 is gonna fit at the rear on my Flow ex and if I should go for a 2.25 rather on the rear and a 2.35 front.

Easybike are getting stock soon,I wanna run a trail star front and pace star rear,just worried if that 2.35 is gonna fit at the rear on my Flow ex and if I should go for a 2.25 rather on the rear and a 2.35 front.

What bike do you have? There's enough clearance on my OneTen, but it's fairly burly as far as rear triangles go...

What bike do you have? There's enough clearance on my OneTen, but it's fairly burly as far as rear triangles go...

Tomac Diplomat,they say it can take up to a 2.5 but I believe that the HD is larger than the 2.35 they say.

Tomac Diplomat,they say it can take up to a 2.5 but I believe that the HD is larger than the 2.35 they say.

Actually, schwalbe sizing is more accurate. Just measured my 2.35" Magic mary's, they pretty much spot on (1.9mm less than 2.35" or 59.69mm across the carcass, and 1.9mm wider across the knobs).

So that makes it 2.35"+/- 0.075". pretty accurate I reckon.