AM tyres... what you running?

patches

TRS Plus on the rear at the moment.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

how's the combo in terms of rolling resistance, compared with a 'similar' combo by schwalbe?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmm... may need to try that!

Been staring at my set for months now (recovering from injury). :( But SOON!

What are you running at the back with your TRS Race?

The TRS Race is probably very similar to the Magic in rolling resistance but way more planted and predictable.

I've managed to get the sticky TRS Race into a front wheel drift in a bit of a loamy flat corner and I could literally feel each side know digging in just holding the slide. I still managed to pump out of the corner while it was drifting without it letting go.

The TRS Race is probably very similar to the Magic in rolling resistance but way more planted and predictable.

I've managed to get the sticky TRS Race into a front wheel drift in a bit of a loamy flat corner and I could literally feel each side know digging in just holding the slide. I still managed to pump out of the corner while it was drifting without it letting go.

jeepers.  :eek:  that's quite high praise there. Its hard to imagine a tyre more predictable and grippier than a magic mary. Do you run your MMs and the E13s at the same pressures? What's that pressure?

Edited by Capricorn

jeepers.  :eek:  that's quite high praise there. Its hard to imagine a tyre more predictable and grippier than a magic mary. Do you run your MMs and the E13s at the same pressures? What's that pressure?

Yeah!!! 

Tickle me interested!

seems the difference is in the compound durometer:

For E13:

The TRS+ has a more durable dual compound – 61a centre tread, with 50a side knobs – whereas the TRSr (Race) model has a triple compound.

The base is 72a, the centre tread is 42a and the side knobs an ultra tacky 40a.

For schwalbe and maxxis:

post-6789-0-68198800-1477382835_thumb.png

So it would appear off the durometer ratings alone, that a better comparison would be between the schwalbe in vertstar compound and the E13 TRS Race, and the Trailstar versus the TRS+

While i know that Schwalble's misfortunes with low-mileage ripped knobs was a factory problem, I can't help but wonder how well those E13 Race tyres will wear. Granted, up front, there should be very little abuse compared to the rear. but as a rear tyre. i'd bet that thing would get chewed up like a dog's new toy in no time, just like every other soft compound tyre out there. 42a-40a is SOFT!

Edited by Capricorn

seems the difference is in the compound durometer:

For E13:

For schwalbe and maxxis:

So it would appear off the durometer ratings alone, that a better comparison would be between the schwalbe in vertstar compound and the E13 TRS Race, and the Trailstar versus the TRS+

While i know that Schwalble's misfortunes with low-mileage ripped knobs was a factory problem, I can't help but wonder how well those E13 Race tyres will wear. Granted, up front, there should be very little abuse compared to the rear. but as a rear tyre. i'd bet that thing would get chewed up like a dog's new toy in no time, just like every other soft compound tyre out there. 42a-40a is SOFT!

Sweet!

Whilst I haven't yet run the Vertstar compound, I know that it must be incredibly grippy if it's grippier than the Trailstar. 

And good info, Cap. Always. 

I converted from 26" to 650B last week. I bought a pair of e*13 trs+ rims from The Trailhead, with 28mm internal width. I paired the rims with a Vigilante 2.3 up front and Trail Boss 2.4 Tough casing in the rear.

The tires were quite a biatch to get on the rims and the Trail Boss with the Tough casing was very difficult to seat with a floor pump, but I managed.

post-47285-0-11527900-1477383267_thumb.jpg

The combination is great, I rode a 50kms race on Saturday to test them out and was fully amazed. Rollover was great, rolling resistance acceptable, grip was insane, wider rims providing much more support, and with the lower pressures much more forgiving.

Thanks to The Trailhead for the bitchin' rims and Dubbelbuys for the sweet deal on the tires (I haven't even paid him yet).  :ph34r:

jeepers. :eek: that's quite high praise there. Its hard to imagine a tyre more predictable and grippier than a magic mary. Do you run your MMs and the E13s at the same pressures? What's that pressure?

The Magic (trail star) I found to have a tiny unpredictable spot between top and side knobs, nowhere near as big as the DHF but definitely noticeable (more so on fast hardpack).

I have tested the TRS setup on hardpack, loose over hard, small loose rubble like terrain, sandy/loam, flat rock and rock gardens. Not one slip yet! They just seem to hook in and even make flat corners feel like your railing a rut!

With regards to pressure. I'm always fiddling between 1.6 - 2.0 bar front and 1.8 - 2.4 bar rear with a rider heft of 100kg +VAT. We tend to go to quite high pressure on some of the Hakahana stages otherwise even Super Gravity Casings get munched by our rocks.

I ran the Ibex FR 2.25 on both front and rear and only had a bit of a issue with front grip in loose or pebbly type corners.

Just upgraded the front to a Minion DHF 2.5 and still running the Ibex on the back (Center nobs are worn down nicely so it rolls nice and quick while still having the big side nobs mostly intact). So far it runs much better in the muddy flat corners and even the loamy flat corners.

Gonna give it a test run at Haka this weekend!

The Magic (trail star) I found to have a tiny unpredictable spot between top and side knobs, nowhere near as big as the DHF but definitely noticeable (more so on fast hardpack).

I have tested the TRS setup on hardpack, loose over hard, small loose rubble like terrain, sandy/loam, flat rock and rock gardens. Not one slip yet! They just seem to hook in and even make flat corners feel like your railing a rut!

With regards to pressure. I'm always fiddling between 1.6 - 2.0 bar front and 1.8 - 2.4 bar rear with a rider heft of 100kg +VAT. We tend to go to quite high pressure on some of the Hakahana stages otherwise even Super Gravity Casings get munched by our rocks.

Thanks NFNF. You've provided serious stoke for these tyres. How's the wear looking thus far?

I converted from 26" to 650B last week. I bought a pair of e*13 trs+ rims from The Trailhead, with 28mm internal width. I paired the rims with a Vigilante 2.3 up front and Trail Boss 2.4 Tough casing in the rear.

The tires were quite a biatch to get on the rims and the Trail Boss with the Tough casing was very difficult to seat with a floor pump, but I managed.

attachicon.gifDSC_0751.JPG

The combination is great, I rode a 50kms race on Saturday to test them out and was fully amazed. Rollover was great, rolling resistance acceptable, grip was insane, wider rims providing much more support, and with the lower pressures much more forgiving.

Thanks to The Trailhead for the bitchin' rims and Dubbelbuys for the sweet deal on the tires (I haven't even paid him yet).  :ph34r:

what a sexy bike and such an awesome frame colour :P

Thanks NFNF. You've provided serious stoke for these tyres. How's the wear looking thus far?

"Serious Stoke" BUT WAIT! There's more...

I've got a little more than 120km on the tyres with probably 20km of tar riding so far. No sign of wear as yet.

Sounds too good to be true even to me...

what a sexy bike and such an awesome frame colour :P

Yo Hairy

Thanks man, how are you liking yours?

The most noticeable difference between my Stumpy and the Spitty was how the Spitty loves to corner. It just loves to lean and rip.

Now with my new wheels, I cannot get the bike to slide like it did previously. Now  I experience serious g-forces when cornering. Sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out, like what happens to astronauts in a centrifuge. :w00t:  

I've got a little more than 120km on the tyres with probably 20km of tar riding so far. No sign of wear as yet.

bloody roadie ... and you say "so far" like you are happily planning more tar mileage :P

^_^ :thumbup:

Yo Hairy

Thanks man, how are you liking yours?

The most noticeable difference between my Stumpy and the Spitty was how the Spitty loves to corner. It just loves to lean and rip.

Now with my new wheels, I cannot get the bike to slide like it did previously. Now  I experience serious g-forces when cornering. Sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out, like what happens to astronauts in a centrifuge. :w00t:  

LOL ... you also came off a stumpy onto a spitty!

It is one of the best bikes I have been on, if not the best. 

Climbs very well with the shock wide open (Especially with the drop out in the middle setting), far better than my stumpy did.

The frame stiffness is just awesome, and the bike feels really composed ... .all the time!

Do find the longer stays require a little more body language to lift the front wheel vs the old stumpy, but you learn to adapt.

LOVE the suspension feel .... nice and supple to start with, and offering great mid stroke support....you can pump this thing and not blow through the travel (Like most other bikes I have tried). Corners .... you said it best.

I am running the Hans D's front and rear on a 21mm internal width rim ..... the next upgrade might well be nice and wide rims, but that must wait a little till I have given the current set a reason to be replaced.

Been enjoying the Hans D's so far, just have to make sure you get your pressure right.