AM tyres... what you running?

patches

I'm on WTB Vigilante 2.3front and a Trailboss 2.4rear,grip like crap on a blanket but these are the Tcs light and fast and the side wall are a bit wobbly when too soft.Also have the Spez Slaughter Grid and I must say I am very surprised by them fast rolling and decent grip, only run it in the rear and definitely not in the wet. Would definitely look at the Magic Mary and HH or NN but with snakeskin.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne, I'm yet to have a puncture with my single ply  WTB 2.3 Vigilante on the front. I run the super strong dual ply WTB 2.2 or Wolverine or 2.25 Trailboss on the rear and haven't had a rear flat since doing so even though most of my riding is at Hakahana. I'm nearly 100kgs too...

Also stock the full Onza range but I havent tested them out myself yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...65 pages of tyre information. :eek:

I like bikes and tyres, but even thats a bit much for me.

So, i hope you don't mind me asking a question that has probably been answered, but as i am riding again in 2 days and it will take me 4 to read this entire thread, i am going to be a knob (thats a tyre joke) and ask the question:

I have 650b Nobby Nic EVO tyres on my Cube 140mm travel bike.

I dont like them. They keep getting punctures from silly little thorns that are so soft, they should not be giving punctures. 

I am not a weight weeny, Don't really mind too much on the weight of a tyre combo. 

I am looking for something a bit sturdier with thicker sidewalls. 

Suggestions?

I went from Nic to to a Toro on the front - about a year ago. Couldn't believe the difference. Not too much heavier either. The other day I went back to the Nic for a giggle, and didn't take too long to remember why I hated that tyre on the front. All looks and no guts.

I went from Nic to to a Toro on the front - about a year ago. Couldn't believe the difference. Not too much heavier either. The other day I went back to the Nic for a giggle, and didn't take too long to remember why I hated that tyre on the front. All looks and no guts.

dont flame me but whats a Toro ??

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a store that has any 26" Schwalbe's in Super Gravity Pace Star compound!?

Thinking Magic Mary, Rock Razor or New Nobby Nic.

Phoned around a few of the usual places but not much luck... Evo had but all in trailstar which will wear too quick.

AFAIK the SG casing only comes in the Trailstar or VertStar version... 

Just checked on the site, and nothing in SG with Pace Star. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

AFAIK the SG casing only comes in the Trailstar or VertStar version...

Just checked on the site, and nothing in SG with Pace Star.

Oh really. Mmmmm... Ok, then guess the Magic Mary Trailstar SH would be the one to go for as the RR won't last long at all with the smaller knobs. Well I don't think it will anyway... Trailstar at the back generally wears pretty quick. Keen to try the RR though.

Have you tried the RR Myles?

Oh really. Mmmmm... Ok, then guess the Magic Mary Trailstar SH would be the one to go for as the RR won't last long at all with the smaller knobs. Well I don't think it will anyway... Trailstar at the back generally wears pretty quick. Keen to try the RR though.

Have you tried the RR Myles?

I loved it. 

Centre knobs are fine - only place I really didn't like them was on wet roots whilst climbing, but that was also a technique thing.

Side knobs are same as the MM, so it GRIPS when you lean it.

Oh - it also packs up in muddy conditions due to the smaller spacing on the middle knobs. But it doesn't really hold on to it as much as the Rocket / Nobby from what I remember. 

But as a rear tire - BRILLIANT. 

I loved it.

Centre knobs are fine - only place I really didn't like them was on wet roots whilst climbing, but that was also a technique thing.

Side knobs are same as the MM, so it GRIPS when you lean it.

Oh - it also packs up in muddy conditions due to the smaller spacing on the middle knobs. But it doesn't really hold on to it as much as the Rocket / Nobby from what I remember.

But as a rear tire - BRILLIANT.

Awesome. Thanks Dude. Think I'm gonna give it a go. Sure it'll also be slightly lighter than the MM SG. I'm running a trailstar MM on the front and loving it. Will be nice to have a faster rolling tire on the rear too.

Awesome. Thanks Dude. Think I'm gonna give it a go. Sure it'll also be slightly lighter than the MM SG. I'm running a trailstar MM on the front and loving it. Will be nice to have a faster rolling tire on the rear too.

oh, it rolls SIGNIFICANTLY faster than both a HD and MM. Felt like the wheel had lost a kilo. 

A Hans has to be one of the boggiest tyres I've ever used on the back. It's a GREAT back tyre when you don't have to pedal to the top, but OMG. It drags harder than a Thai ladyboy.

oh, it rolls SIGNIFICANTLY faster than both a HD and MM. Felt like the wheel had lost a kilo.

A Hans has to be one of the boggiest tyres I've ever used on the back. It's a GREAT back tyre when you don't have to pedal to the top, but OMG. It drags harder than a Thai ladyboy.

Hahahaha. Wicked... Sold! Thanks Dude.

If you can source a RR SG, let me know. I have also been looking for one as a rear tire for a while....

Ordered yesterday from evobikes Remi. I believe they still have in stock. Just ring them to confirm.

Ordered yesterday from evobikes Remi. I believe they still have in stock. Just ring them to confirm.

thanks