[Event] To HELL & BACK MTB 2 Day Stage Race

EcoBound MTB Events

Queen Bree had better be pulling through to Cape Town afterward. whistling.gif I'll come fetch you if I have to.

If only!! so close and yet so far w00t.gif

Afraid I'm flying out on Friday and back to Joburg on Sunday after stage 2..... with hindsight, I should probably have planned a little detour smile.png

oh well... next year I'll have to do things differently

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome race!!

Wonderful vibe at the bottom, you will have a blast.

Most enjoyable race I did last year (and I did 9)

Edited by white tiger

Apparently we only have 2 more weekends left to train. Am I the only one that's a little nervous? unsure.png

Nope you are not alone, starting to have nightmares of never-ending monster climbs with no water and cool 42 deg celsius temp

unsure.png blink.png wacko.png

p.s. this is me and my "other woman", when you pass me say howzit

post-38473-0-61989400-1351578671_thumb.jpg

Nope you are not alone, starting to have nightmares of never-ending monster climbs with no water and cool 42 deg celsius temp

well now that's comforting unsure.png

errmmm... I don't think I'll be passing anyone, but if I do see you I'll definitely say hi!

• 3 weeks later...

So how did it go Fanie? I prepared myself for the worst.... and it was tougher than that whistling.gif

So how did it go Fanie? I prepared myself for the worst.... and it was tougher than that whistling.gif

eeeiisssh. it was the toughest thing I have ever done in my life.

Suffered for six hours one each day and the climbing was pure torture on day 2.

The other participants made the most difficult sections a lot easier though. even had "tiger-man" walk up a few hills with me (he probably saw that i was FINISHED).

I had a puncture just as you come off the section of farm road, i think it's about 4km from the finish, bombed the tyre and the valve decided to break. I popped in a tube only to discover I somehow broke my co2 adapter! No pump, no co2 I started walking to the finish, after a 150m sprint down the tar road a oompie with a land rover (full of bikes) pulled up and assisted by lending me his floor pump. So i was at least able to cycle over the finish line.

Crossing the finish line rates as one of the best moments in my life!!

Well done Fanie! I have a renewed respect for anyone who does this event! I was also in the saddle for 6 hours on the first day and 6 hours + on day 2 blush.png

That climbing on day 2 was like nothing I've ever experienced in my life... and I was really scared going down into The Hell on day 1. My fear of heights got the better of me.

I'm not sure if I'll do this again

and I was really scared going down into The Hell on day 1.

+1 after going down elandspad & swartberg i need to replace my brakepads blush.png. i stopped halfway down swartberg to rest my cause my hands couldn't hold the break levers any more.

i have a whole new outlook on hill's that's for sure

I'm not Fanie but here goes cool.png

Also thought it was extremely tough, not sure how one could have prepared for that freakin neverending climbs (nothing like that near Cape Town), I swore loudly a few times when I reached the "top" of a mountain, only to see the road snaking a few km's further up another mountain. Then the rocky dangerous downhills just as tiring and no flat bits to recover.

I do not want to see another hill for weeks but I might just be back next year thumbup1.gif

Well one fanie & nancy for finishing - 6 hours in that heat is no joke!

PS I hope that guy who fell and broke his hip is ok and recovering!

Thanks skubarra! and well done to you!

I also wore my brake pads out completely and also had to stop on the descents to give my forearms a break!

Ouch - I saw a helicopter circling on day 2 to airlift someone out of the valley

i passed the injured man at the top of heartbreak hill. only found out at the last waterpoint that the chopper was for him. hope he's ok

PS I hope that guy who fell and broke his hip is ok and recovering!

Gerard Genis is recovering well after a hip operation Monday morning.

We wish Oom Gerard a speedy recovery!

Gerard Genis is recovering well after a hip operation Monday morning.

We wish Oom Gerard a speedy recovery!

Good to hear. Good luck with the recovery Oom!!