Epic or Joberg2c

amoryns

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Biased, but the Great coffee on joBerg2C makes all the difference :whistling:

101 are you from Seattle ?

I love the coffee, saying that, I popped in to Brooklyn and sat down for a Cappucino Grande, it was not up to the usual standard, the first time ever to be honest :(

I did have the best choc-chip muffin I ever sank my teeth in to :thumbup:

I have done both (Epic 2012 and all 3 J2C). I will not be going back to Epic anytime soon. It was nice to tick it off but the amount of times I found myself baffled at the route choices by Evans were just too many. We were A batch all the way and are both good on technical climbs. Despite this, we carried our bikes just about every day. It was frustrating beyond words. The financial investment is ridiculous as well.

JoBerg2c just gets better and better year after year. The route is sublime just about every day. The big difference though, is in the people. The people you meet on the route, in the camp and of course the fantastically friendly organisers.

If you are a serious race-snake and want to test yourself against the best in the world, enter Epic without hesitation.

If you are someone who just loves being on your bike and seeing this beautiful country of ours (fast or slow) then entering joBerg2c will be the best decision you ever make.

I have done both (Epic 2012 and all 3 J2C). I will not be going back to Epic anytime soon. It was nice to tick it off but the amount of times I found myself baffled at the route choices by Evans were just too many. We were A batch all the way and are both good on technical climbs. Despite this, we carried our bikes just about every day. It was frustrating beyond words. The financial investment is ridiculous as well.

JoBerg2c just gets better and better year after year. The route is sublime just about every day. The big difference though, is in the people. The people you meet on the route, in the camp and of course the fantastically friendly organisers.

If you are a serious race-snake and want to test yourself against the best in the world, enter Epic without hesitation.

If you are someone who just loves being on your bike and seeing this beautiful country of ours (fast or slow) then entering joBerg2c will be the best decision you ever make.

...I will never get the opportunity to do the Epic again, so its 2013 or kiss our chances good bye....also, after seeing the coverage of j2c last year, we said we would definitely want to do this race.

as far as bike choices go, I know I would be able to ride the j2c on my hardtail which will elimanate the cost of buying a DS for EPIC :blush:

I haven't done the Epic (still on the bucket list) but I have done two joberg2C's... and I'm already suffering from withdrawal symptoms. joberg2C gets my vote everytime.

Out of inetretst for the average middle of the pack sani 2 c rider how much training will i need to do to complete the Epic vs Jburg2 c. I have been told epic i would need 5 months of 12-15hr weeks ....How much training would i need for j2c?? I finished Sani trail middle of the field by doing max 5 hrs a week. basically i ride weekend 1 ride midweek

Out of inetretst for the average middle of the pack sani 2 c rider how much training will i need to do to complete the Epic vs Jburg2 c. I have been told epic i would need 5 months of 12-15hr weeks ....How much training would i need for j2c?? I finished Sani trail middle of the field by doing max 5 hrs a week. basically i ride weekend 1 ride midweek

I will get grilled for this and beaten by the hub-race snakes and professionals, but the same amount of training.

Finishing joBerg2c can be achieved with 6 or 7 hours of decent training a week. The fitter you are, the more you will enjoy this race though. If you are under-prepared you may finish but you will have some really long days (10hrs+). It happens every year but I really don't think that is something you should put yourself through.

I agree with Dangle that you should be able to finish the Epic on that level of training. But whether you want to spend all day out there every day and suffer accordingly is a different discussion completely.

I know a SA veterans team that finished top 100 in Epic and top 10 in Vets and they trained no more than 9 - 12 hours a week. To be fair they are both seasoned racers with years of riding in their legs.

Bottom line is the race can be done with far less training than you imagine. I suspect that many guys who attempt the Epic with the level of training you describe don't have the mental and emotional stamina to get to the finish.

Why a choice? - you have to ride them both - maybe not in the same year though.

So the question becomes - which one FIRST?

Epic? Do it when young and dumb prefferably... or if you want to pretend to be an elite rider. but everyone should do at least 1.

J2C? Once over the challenges, and riding for the sake of riding.

Transalp? Worth a look if you can afford it, its in Epic cost territory.

Freedom Challenge? This is on my list of to-do's - in a few years time... Brother in law is riding at the moment - yesterday his average speed for the race was 4.95km/hour....

JO BURG TOO SEE.

Epic , well there are only so many wine vinards i want to ride through ..................

Why a choice? - you have to ride them both - maybe not in the same year though.

So the question becomes - which one FIRST?

Epic? Do it when young and dumb prefferably... or if you want to pretend to be an elite rider. but everyone should do at least 1.

J2C? Once over the challenges, and riding for the sake of riding.

Transalp? Worth a look if you can afford it, its in Epic cost territory.

Freedom Challenge? This is on my list of to-do's - in a few years time... Brother in law is riding at the moment - yesterday his average speed for the race was 4.95km/hour....

the bank manager will not consent to both

BUT CAN YOU REALLY WIN THE EPIC?

I think you can if you make sure you take your own Specialized jacket along?

I think you can if you make sure you take your own Specialized jacket along?

dont forget the specialized podium shoes

JoBerg2c for me 2013

Epic to much Moola - but like said above the bragging rights would be nice - Amoryns