Was the "Bomber" MTB the first 29er?

Lexx

Who remembers the old "Bomber" mountain bikes. It was a huge Bicycle. And my first mtb. Now that I think about it, didn't they have 29er wheels on them? Because I can remember my old red "Bomber" was bigger than any of my friends bikes?

I think I had one too, was it a Raleigh Bomber ATB? Don't remember the wheel size though

nope. they were 26" bikes. but the tyres were just so damn big, and we were probably riding 24" bikes at the same time!

Ha ha,your right. We were riding those 24" bmx bikes. And then came those Monster Bomber bikes,ha ha ha. Jees, and no-one could catch me on that bike,ha ha

I use to have one too. mine was slighty smaller than the normal on, the fork broke on the one side when one of the puppils at school pushed another onto my bike while it was standing in the bikestand.

Couldnt find the right lenth fork for it at LBS in Durbanville. Fitted the one they (Raleigh) send. From there on I was riding uphill...LOL

Fork was slightly longer than the one I had before. But what the hec.

Mine was a matelic Blue.

Awesome bike, Got stolen in Springs in 1988 when we relocated there.

Woosies riding Bombers. I had a dukwiel black Hercules with drumbreaks and a Sturmey Archer three speed. That had a 28" wheel I think. Used that to ramp and ride our own singletrack at the big swing next to the spruit in Maroelana in Pretoria circa 1968. There are only houses there now.

Never joined the Bomber craze. My next bike was a DHC racing bike with five speed downtube shifters and no indexing my Dad bought me at the DHC shop near the Tek in Church street. That bike was stolen. Never got a new bike after that as everybody thought you were poor riding a bike or a poofter with no hair cycling with a bunch of bananas on your head. I followed the herd.

Woosies riding Bombers. I had a dukwiel black Hercules with drumbreaks and a Sturmey Archer three speed. That had a 28" wheel I think. Used that to ramp and ride our own singletrack at the big swing next to the spruit in Maroelana in Pretoria circa 1968. There are only houses there now.

Never joined the Bomber craze. My next bike was a DHC racing bike with five speed downtube shifters and no indexing my Dad bought me at the DHC shop near the Tek in Church street. That bike was stolen. Never got a new bike after that as everybody thought you were poor riding a bike or a poofter with no hair cycling with a bunch of bananas on your head. I followed the herd.

Jees, I wasn't even born in 1968

The Bomber was a city cruiser, go into the mountains with a Bomber at your own peril.

When you were at school the whizz kid marketers were not there yet and nobody told you about that and still the dukwiel Hercules worked. The whizzkids have been telling us crap ever since then and we are dumb enough to believe them.

Go and become a kid again and enjoy the freedom of cycling an not the crap of a twenty naainer wiff disk breaks and a 130 mm travel fock and a helmut that fits so you can complete a ride 10 minutes earlier.

I had a red one! (red was faster back then)

Me to. I also had a red one, and was the fastest kid on a bike,ha ha ha. And its true, red bikes are faster and sexier,ha ha.

But I can remember that bike was as heavy as hell.

When you were at school the whizz kid marketers were not there yet and nobody told you about that and still the dukwiel Hercules worked. The whizzkids have been telling us crap ever since then and we are dumb enough to believe them.

Go and become a kid again and enjoy the freedom of cycling an not the crap of a twenty naainer wiff disk breaks and a 130 mm travel fock and a helmut that fits so you can complete a ride 10 minutes earlier.

No thanks, I think I`ll stick to riding my 29 dually in the bergs. Dodging cars to get to school on a Bomber is just not as much fun as flying down the Jonkers singletracks.

Panther MTB. 26" Single speed, sweep bars, back pedal brakes.

Mine was red and neighbors, Jac Louis Van Wyk van blue...