Who want to show me (MTBer from far away) a beautiful Tour in your region

Salah

Hi Sportfriends

I'm considering to come (December or January) to South Africa. I would like to escape from the snow in Switzerland :-). I heard your country is really beautiful and has a great nature for Mountainbiking.

I am an active Mountainbiker (especially uphill). Therefore, a holiday tour (with any one provider) is not really a solution for me. Now I've got the tip from a friend in Cape Town to ask on this Site. Does anyone of you want to show (no matter if only a 1/2 day or the whole) me his/her favorite track? Of course I would pay a coffee or/and the lunch or whatever we need as a Thank you.

Or do you have other tips? Thank you and the best wishes from far North.

Salah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Salah welcome to the hub

First of all I think you should say to wich part of SA you are coming to

Hi BioMouse

Thanks for the answer and the logical hint. But to be honest I dont really care. I want to go to the part of SA which is the best to do some great tours. I love Mountains and I think there have to be some mountains to bike. I am also really thankful for any kind of hints in which region I should go.

And at the End i am sorry for my English. I know it is far from perfect :-).

Best will be Cape Town or Pietermaritzburg.

Pietermaritzburg is 80km away from Durban which will be the nearest international airport. The opening round of the UCI XC and DH is held in PMB and it, and Durban, is known for some great trails and is the home of Morewood and PYGA.

Cape Town has arguably the most trails in close proximity and all of them make for a great ride. It is also near the winelands, Table Mountain, Robben Island and lots of other touristy stuff to do. If you come to Cape Town I'll be happy to show you around and can even organize a descent bike for you to ride.

Edited by The Crow

Another tip: Dec and early Jan is school holidays and tourist high season. It is a great time of the year weather wise, but can get a bit crowded at all the usual tourist destinations. Along with that comes peak season rates and charges which can get quite expensive as well.

Consider coming end Jan of Feb as the weather will be great, warm with little change of rain, and everywhere you go won't be over-crowded.

Shhooooweee now that's a question. If you find yourself in Johannesburg you can join us for some cool rides but they won't rival Switzerlland! There are some really amazing places to ride all around the country and you'll get lots more invites/suggestions. Off the top of my head, Durban area: Holla trails, Giba gorge. Knysna area: Harkerville. Cape town: Tokai.

Go stay in Stellenbosch (Sauser`s home), it`s a town about 50km from Cape Town, from here I am willing to go show you some of the greatest mtb riding in South Africa. But be warned it can get very hot in December.

Edited by Berg Bok

Sabie and Nelspruit area (close to Kruger National Park) has awesome mountain climbing riding. Google Mankele mountainbiking park. Rain and mud is a given for this area in January though, but it makes it even better.

Sabie and Nelspruit area (close to Kruger National Park) has awesome mountain climbing riding. Google Mankele mountainbiking park. Rain and mud is a given for this area in January though, but it makes it even better.

Was thinking to recommend that area. I think what it comes down to is Salah must think and decide what else it is they'd like to see, visit and experience.

PMB/ Durban, Cape Town (including Stellenbosch, Tokai, Tygerberg Club Trails, Bottelary Hills Trails and Grabouw) and Nelspruit / Sabie are all good choices and I'm sure where ever it is they end up going there will be someone there to take them riding and a lekker braai afterwards!

Do Cape town for a while then go up north to Sabie/Hazyview then end at Pietermaritzburg

Edited by Cavendish

Yeah, I agree. There are places to ride all over SA so rather decide what else you want to see and do and then fit in your riding around that. As a Durban/Coastal boy myself I'd recommend flying into Jhb, heading to Durban and then making your way down the coast to CT. Plenty of riding to be done on the way!

Hi all. It is nice to see the kindness of the people from SA. Thanks for the answers.

@Crow

I will think about changing my holiday Time from December to End of January. Your opinion about avoiding the Touristtime sounds really good. It is also really nice that you offer to ride a day with me. Even if you dont know if I am a stupid Swiss :-). Do you ride alot with some people from abroad? Of course I would take my Mountainbike with me. You know that, we Bikers love to ride the Bike we are used to.

@manbearpig

You live in Johannesburg. Of course we in Switzerland heard alot about this city. But would you also say that Capetown oder Durban is better for Biking? I would say your opinion would count alot. You know Johannesburg really good.

@Berg Bok

Your answer is the second (after Crow) who would advise to go End of January?

@Berg Bok and Clint_ZA

Thanks for the offer. Why is that no Problem for you guys in SA to show somone you dont know some tours? Of course this is really nice but even in the friendliest place you find some people who are a liitle bit special :-).

@all

Wouldnt it be necessary that we all known us a little bit more? If you want to ask something about me to be sure if you want to show me some trails: Go on i am prepared for any questions :-).

@KnobbyMech and Crow

Hehe that means I have now 3 Area of which i have to choose. Your country is so big so i cant visit all 3. Hmm that means i have to choose. In which of the 3 regions (Cape Town, Durban, Sabie) are the biggest mountains? I ask because the most i love is to ride uphill and have a great visit over the nature from above. There must be any kind of differences in the region. Arent there?

I will have something about 3 weeks. I know this are not 2 months but I think if I read your answers I will see a great nature.

Hi all. It is nice to see the kindness of the people from SA. Thanks for the answers.

Pleasure

Do you ride alot with some people from abroad?

Have done this twice before. Was lots of fun, even for me, to meet new people and to take them out riding. Hooked up with a couple from France over a weekend so I had time to take them sight-seeing as well. Lots of fun! Have also done something similar with two guys who rode down from the Netherlands on their motorbikes. Met them along the way and took them sigh-seeing along our coast lines. Beautiful.

@manbearpig

You live in Johannesburg. Of course we in Switzerland heard alot about this city. But would you also say that Capetown oder Durban is better for Biking? I would say your opinion would count alot. You know Johannesburg really good.

I wouldn't spend time in Joburg to ride. It is mostly flat with not that much single track.

@all

Wouldnt it be necessary that we all known us a little bit more? If you want to ask something about me to be sure if you want to show me some trails: Go on i am prepared for any questions :-).

Best will be to arrange a meet and greet over a braai when you are here! We do it old-school! :thumbup:

But for now...

Why South Africa?

What do you ride and why the climbing preference?

What else would you like to see / visit while you are here?

Do you know that we have electricity? :D

Are you coming with your family? Kids?

@KnobbyMech and Crow

Hehe that means I have now 3 Area of which i have to choose. Your country is so big so i cant visit all 3. Hmm that means i have to choose. In which of the 3 regions (Cape Town, Durban, Sabie) are the biggest mountains? I ask because the most i love is to ride uphill and have a great visit over the nature from above. There must be any kind of differences in the region. Arent there?

I will have something about 3 weeks. I know this are not 2 months but I think if I read your answers I will see a great nature.

Cape Town:

Lots of mountain with lots of trails in fairly close proximity. Trails can be rocky especially after a long, hot summer. But weather down here is nice even on a hot day. Can be windy, but chances are you won't feel that when in the mountains. It is the #1 tourist destination (if I remember correct) and the city that makes most foreigners want to stay!

Durban:

Weather is HOT and HUMID. Very humid...tropical is the word I'm looking for. Trails are smoother with lots to choose from. Not as mountainous as the other two options.

Sabie:

Weather is also quite tropical, but not as humid as Durban. Lots to see and do here on and off the bike. You'll be able to see, if you're lucky, the Big 5 in their natural habitat. Can see the Big 5 and lots of other animals in Cape Town as well, just not in an as natural environment. Lots of trails and roads to ride.

I think Durban will (could) have the least climbing of the three. Help me out here guys?

Three weeks will be enough. Well, holiday abroad can ALWAYS be longer, but you'll get to ride LOTS and will be able to visit lots of interesting places. You'll even have enough time for a trip up the Garden Route and do some riding whilst doing it

Edited by The Crow

In my opinion if you want the best mountains that would be Sabie area. You can climb for hours. But as mentioned it is likely to be vey wet and muddy so as long as you don't mind the mud you'll enjoy it the most.

Can go do some game seeing at the Kruger Park as well.

This area is also a very big tourist attraction.

I'd say your best bet is between Cape Town and Sabie, but if hills is what you want, Sabie is the place.