Who want to show me (MTBer from far away) a beautiful Tour in your region

Salah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live between Durban and Cape Town,that is,Port Elizabeth, which is also on the coast.Whilst we might not have the climbs that you have in Switzerland,there are plenty of great rides.

However,I don't want to confuse you,so talking from my personal experience,I would suggest Cape Town as there are so MANY different places to ride (and seriously beautiful).A number of these rides are out of Cape Town,for example in the Stellenbosch area (but not more than maybe an hour's ride in a car).

If you happen to go through my city then you are always welcome to join us on a ride or two! A lot of our mtb'er's are currently training for the Trans Baviaans mtb race.It is a ride of 230 km's and has to be done within 24 hours.There is serious climbing to do in this area.

Lucerne is such a beautiful place (we were there last June),I would love to cycle around there.

@tubehunter and Crow

That is not a bad idea :-). I mean i am a little bit free in my time. I thought first to come in December but with Crows opinion I am thinking about End of January. But End of Februaray or March is to late. Thats a little bit the problem. Are there no races between December and the Beginning of February?

@SwissVan

I saw on the map from Capetown to Plettenberg is near the coast right? But I would suggest that the mountains arent usual near the coast? Or am I wrong? I am from Chur in Switzerland. I dont know if you know this city :-). In the South of Switzerland near the mountains.

@selous scout

I looked on the Map where Port Elizabeth is. Thats a little bit after Plettenberg from Capetown.Plettenberg is the place which SwissVan said. Yes Port Elizabeth is probably xomparable to Lucerne. They have both water :-). We a little lake and you the big big sea. So I would suggest both place are nice.

That looks awesome, but I hate it when people don't put prices on their website

It is very expensive

That looks awesome, but I hate it when people don't put prices on their website

They used to list the prices. I did the Bots one some years back, and I seem to recall it being about R4K. I think Kranswurm has been more recently…

@tubehunter and Crow

That is not a bad idea :-). I mean i am a little bit free in my time. I thought first to come in December but with Crows opinion I am thinking about End of January. But End of Februaray or March is to late. Thats a little bit the problem. Are there no races between December and the Beginning of February?

@SwissVan

I saw on the map from Capetown to Plettenberg is near the coast right? But I would suggest that the mountains arent usual near the coast? Or am I wrong? I am from Chur in Switzerland. I dont know if you know this city :-). In the South of Switzerland near the mountains.

@selous scout

I looked on the Map where Port Elizabeth is. Thats a little bit after Plettenberg from Capetown.Plettenberg is the place which SwissVan said. Yes Port Elizabeth is probably xomparable to Lucerne. They have both water :-). We a little lake and you the big big sea. So I would suggest both place are nice.

I wouldn't go further than Plet. Ride Harkerville (http://www.easterncapemountainbiking.co.za/index.php?page_name=route&route_id=33) and Petrus se Brand http://www.mtbiker.co.za/trails/petrus-se-brand-knysna

Go bungy jump at Stormsrivier http://www.faceadrenalin.com/

Do a canopy tour of the Tsitsikama forest http://stormsriver.com/canopy_tour_tree_top_tour_stormsriver_tsitsikamma_garden_route.html

Ride an Elephant http://www.knysnaelephantpark.co.za/

Go all Twilight and visit the Wolf Sanctuary http://www.wolfsa.org.za/content_sanctuary.htm

And do a Tsitsikama trail walk

When you're done there work your way back to CT by riding trails in Wilderness, Sedgefield and George. From Mossel Bay work your way inland and come through the Karoo all the way to the Mother City. Then the real riding starts...

They used to list the prices. I did the Bots one some years back, and I seem to recall it being about R4K. I think Kranswurm has been more recently…

I remember it being R6500 the last time I checked.

@ Salah Must say that by now we know you ant to climb, but there are a LOT of places to ride that will be a once in a lifetime experience. Throw in some climbing rides and you'll have an experience kids dream of...

Best will be Cape Town or Pietermaritzburg.

Pietermaritzburg is 80km away from Durban which will be the nearest international airport. The opening round of the UCI XC and DH is held in PMB and it, and Durban, is known for some great trails and is the home of Morewood and PYGA.

Cape Town has arguably the most trails in close proximity and all of them make for a great ride. It is also near the winelands, Table Mountain, Robben Island and lots of other touristy stuff to do. If you come to Cape Town I'll be happy to show you around and can even organize a descent bike for you to ride.

Crow, coffee and lunch for riding your bike is a good trade. How do you keep landing these amazing deals??

Crow, coffee and lunch for riding your bike is a good trade. How do you keep landing these amazing deals??

I pay it forward! :thumbup:

I remember it being R6500 the last time I checked.

Even for that price, it's still well worth it! :thumbup:

Probably my best cycling experience ever.