Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve 10km MTB Trail

deriknell

Quite new to Mountain Biking and looking to build up my skill level somehwere quiet.

Has anybody done the Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve 10km MTB trail. Is it worthwhile trying and is it relative to a beginner?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Deriknell

Yes have done stainbank a few times and its a pretty easy ride to done, was there last friday after work to stretch the legs a bit just dont use the trail markings as they will just keep you going in circles for days!!! The route we ride is pretty straight forward.

We start at the top parking lot ( Turn left after the enterance follow the dirt road and keep right at the fork in the road) at the parking lot go onto the paved walkway past the toilets down a little then a sharp turn left onto one for the trails follow that until you hit a T junction turn right ride next to the dam then another left up a small bank which will take you into the grass fields just follow the trail until you hit the dirt road. Turn right onto the dirt road follow it and keep right at the fork, you'll pop up by the caslte, turn left onto the tared road past the castle down the hill abit but keep eyes for a trail on the left. it should be close to a big tree. turn left go up the trail( look out for the zebra) onto the grass field. follow it then turn right at the fork, it should be under a tree. follow the down hill section for about 300 meters then a sharp turn left onto more downhill which will take you through some trees (Watch out for the small rock garden thru them!) there will be a split in a small clearing two two trail makers on the floor, turn right onto the "RED" trail and enjoy the single track and small drop offs during the trail( Nothing to hetic) just follow the trail all the way and see if you can do the bigger rock garden at about the halway mark :thumbup: just keep on that same trail until there is a steep small hill on the trail that ends on another dirt road. on the other side you will see another trail that goes uphill follow that trail and you will land up on the bottom picnic area.( This is our resting spot) Continue up the hill until you see the dirt road. Its pretty much uphill form here but its not hard at all :clap: follow the dirt road untill you get to the main enterance.

The ride is short around 8k's or so and its rather fun.

There are more trails you can take which are a little bit more hectic on the legs and skills but I rekon that you try this 1st as its very easy for a 1st time rider.

Oh and dont ride alone. Its never a safe thing to do in the bush ( As you might get hurt) Its NEVER busy there with regards to the trails and its awesome to see all the wild animals so close to home( Watch out as some of the zebra dont like to move out the way :eek: )

Enjoy it, it will be a nice entery into the whole MTB thing :clap:

Cheers

Stainbank's not a great place to try build up your endurance as the trails are quite short. That said, as Red pointed out it's a beautiful little reserve with quite a bit of fairly tame wildlife which makes for a really enjoyable ride. That coupled with the reasonable entrance fee (R15), accessibility and some great little stretches of singletrack makes it one of my favourite spots in Durban especially if my time is limited and I just want a quick ride.

As regards safety, there have been a few incidents there, especially at the bottom near the river. Apparently however the guys were caught and there hasn't been anything for about a year now. I still probably wouldn't suggest riding alone though.

I've been concerned about the safety there after hearing of 'incidents' - glad to hear of regular riders though .... am I being too concerned? Getting the wrong end of the stick when actually it's fine ?

I'm keen for a ride there now!

Go for it. theres a fairly steep rock garden on the yellow route just before you cross a small river. Its the beans!!! :thumbup: Went over the bars the 1st time on it, landed in the reeds, thank goodness for soft river sand :clap:

Oh and keep eyes for a branch that covers the trail on the down section its too low to duck under as I hit it fill tilt!!!! Luckly I saw it and braced impact as it was too late to stop. Gotta love helmets, they do save lives. Would have been a k@k jol hitting it with my chest so the only option was to drop my head in the way. LOL :whistling:

We ride Stnbank regularly, and there is plenty riding available. Once you know your way around, you can spend a couple of hours playing around. it's a great place to practice skills as well. Lots of rooty, rocky knarly sections to test you and your machine.

Being the hidden gem that it is, it's quiet enough to ride most of the trails backwards for some variation.

If you can ride Stnbank, you'll be able to ride anywhere.

we had a good ride there once. and its cheap as chips. but if you havent been there and arent going with someone that can show you around it can be a little frustrating trying to find some suited riding for you. thankfully after our first exploration we bumped into someone that took us on a super fun trail.

altho i would rather recommend giba there is plenty to choose from, my preference being the blue/gravity route.

the orange route is very fun and ridable even for newbies.

the green is in my understanding the beginners route but i didnt like it very much, i found it was harder 'fitness' wise than the orange route.

we had a good ride there once. and its cheap as chips. but if you havent been there and arent going with someone that can show you around it can be a little frustrating trying to find some suited riding for you. thankfully after our first exploration we bumped into someone that took us on a super fun trail.

altho i would rather recommend giba there is plenty to choose from, my preference being the blue/gravity route.

the orange route is very fun and ridable even for newbies.

the green is in my understanding the beginners route but i didnt like it very much, i found it was harder 'fitness' wise than the orange route.

...some great new sections to the Blue trail now.... you need to get back there ASAP :)

Thanks Guys

Will def give it a try, Super amped now!

Stay in hillcrest and heard there is a track by Cotswold Downs. I can cycle there from my house. Just need to find it. Will give it a try as well.

Anybody been there before

Thanks Guys

Stay in hillcrest and heard there is a track by Cotswold Downs. I can cycle there from my house. Just need to find it. Will give it a try as well.

send me a pm or your cell number I was one of those who where responsible for building the track at waterfall and will be keen to showyou the track

Thanks Guys

Dude, if you stay in Hillcrest then why not give Giba Gorge a try too? It is a little more costly (R40 once off of cheaper for a booklet) but with plenty more trail choices and facilities.

Not sure I would be suggesting the blue route at Giba Gorge for a beginner/ noobie, rather go with the orange route if you do. There is a track in Waterfall you can ride, not done it myself yet, but only heard good things.

Not sure I would be suggesting the blue route at Giba Gorge for a beginner/ noobie, rather go with the orange route if you do. There is a track in Waterfall you can ride, not done it myself yet, but only heard good things.

Who suggested the blue route to a newbie? My mention of blue was in response to geecee. There are plenty other rides to be done there. And the new blue route is not that difficult at all.

Edited by Clint_ZA