Sunglasses with Optical Inserts Question

Thinkbeeg

I have been cycling with contact lenses, but I hate the stuff, it's very uncomfortable. I am considering getting sunglasses with Optical Inserts, but have a few questions.

1.) Any hubbers use these? Would you recommend it?

2.) Can I take the Optical Insert to any optometrist, like spec savers and have them fitted with my prescription?

3.) I see the Adidas inserts go for +/- R650, how much should I expect to pay for my prescription inserts?

4.) Any recommended brands? Or any brand I should avoid. The big three are Adidas, Oakley & Rudy Project

Thanks

Thinus

I use them. (Adidas Evil eyes).

Was lucky enough that Discovery paid for them in full.

Love the ease of use. Take of regular glasses, put on cycling glasses. No farting around with contacts. I HATE THEM IN ANY CASE!!!!

Edited by Wannabe

I use Rudy Project Rydons, you can use the inserts ..

Edited by X-Man

I've got the Adidas ones. Work well, dont even know they are there. Discovery paid in full for the sunglasses, adn half for the optical insert.

Edited by Azi

Rudy Project Rydons with clip on's as well. Discovery paid for it in full.

Do you pay 1st then claim? Or does the optometrist do everything? Where did you get them done?

I got mine from Eye Q Opt.. They submit claim to medical aid on your behalf. No hastles.

I use the Adidas ones. have a pair for mountaineering, and a pair for cycling. both are awesome. i also have 2 pairs of Oakleys where the actual lenses are prescription (not inserts) also great!

I cycle with contacts and regular oakley sunglasses (don't mind contacts at all). I also have prescription oakleys (same frame, different).

I actually prefer the contacts because of that slight different in depth perception that the prescription sunnies create (a result of varying the distance from the lense to eye).

Another issue with prescription sunnies is the shape. Most optoms won't/can't get a prescription lense that is too curved (more than a base 5 or 6, I think). So this rules out prescription lenses for quite a few of the more "sporty" looking frames.

Which of these have optical lenses. Don't want the inserts.

ok, so not exactly "cycling" glasses... but this is what my prescription lenses are in (base 5 curved lense)

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/jalana/cabinet/oakley/holbrook-blk_p1.jpg

and these are the regulars that I wear with contacts underneath

http://reflectzyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/oakley-holbrook-6.jpg

got sick and tired for issues with glasses and especially the costs, had the lazer thing done last week and now as happy as a cat in a cream factory :thumbup: