29r Carbon Frames

markgc

Do you have contact details for them please?

Calvin Botha. Email him, he hardly ever answers his phone. calvinrbotha@gmail.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calvin Botha. Email him, he hardly ever answers his phone. calvinrbotha@gmail.com

Thanks

Were you parked outside the Truth in Green Point this morning ... saw a 4x4 type white car with a TMB wheel cover ... I came down the stairs on a bright Shova with a white jacket.

Considering getting a new light carbon frame?? I have a Giant XTC 1 29, im finding it bulky and heavy.

Any suggestions..Budget <R10k

The Giant XTC 1 29 Alu frame is 1.56kg

The Momsem carbon is 1.36kg and will cost you R12,950. For a 200g saving. Thats R64,750/kg - more expensive per kg than say....an Italian sports car...

Rapide is 1,250g and is "only" R8,000 for a 300g saving. Much better deal at a meager R26,666/kg - about 100x as expensive as my favourite imported "ground on the breasts of virgins" coffee.

If carbon floats your boat and you feel dead sexy riding it then have at it and blow the cash. If you're after a weight saving then skip a few burgers a month and bang the R8,000-R13,000 in your back pocket. If you're already at <6% body fat then there are much more cost effective ways of losing weight...

Give us your bike specs and I'll recommend a much better way to save weight...

The Momsem carbon is 1.36kg and will cost you R12,950. For a 200g saving. Thats R64,750/kg - more expensive per kg than say....an Italian sports car...

What a coincidence... my blank Chinese frame is 1.357kg and it cost me less than a 1/3rd of that.

Edited by Azonic

If you buying carbon to save weight then you making a mistake .

Each material gives a different ride characteristic , if you buying carbon for the ride it delivers then cool .

Remeber alloy stiff , rigid

Carbon is more forgiven and a more comfy ride .

I own a giant xtc alloy and its stiff as hell

I also own a carbon Cannondale flash and that bike is way more comfy than the alloy , it has a far more forgiven ride .

Buy a bike / frame for the ride you like not its weight .

Thanks

Were you parked outside the Truth in Green Point this morning ... saw a 4x4 type white car with a TMB wheel cover ... I came down the stairs on a bright Shova with a white jacket.

Yup. That was me. I saw you hopping the steps. Your back tyre looked a little flat.

Yup. That was me. I saw you hopping the steps. Your back tyre looked a little flat.

Heavy back pack and big boned rider ... and that is a little 2.1" temporary tyre ;)

Each material gives a different ride characteristic , if you buying carbon for the ride it delivers then cool .

I also own a carbon Cannondale flash and that bike is way more comfy than the alloy , it has a far more forgiven ride .

:clap:

The Giant XTC 1 29 Alu frame is 1.56kg

Rapide is 1,250g and is "only" R8,000 for a 300g saving. Much better deal at a meager R26,666/kg - about 100x as expensive as my favourite imported "ground on the breasts of virgins" coffee.

If carbon floats your boat and you feel dead sexy riding it then have at it and blow the cash. If you're after a weight saving then skip a few burgers a month and bang the R8,000-R13,000 in your back pocket. If you're already at <6% body fat then there are much more cost effective ways of losing weight...

Give us your bike specs and I'll recommend a much better way to save weight...

You make a valid point..heres what it looks like, fairly standard as it came..

Changes made so far:

- Wheelset to Mavic Crossmax

- Tubeless Maxxis Crossmarks tyres

- Full XT

- Spez Henge Seat

- XTR Pedals

Well said Iron! :clap:

What a coincidence... my blank Chinese frame is 1.357kg and it cost me less than a 1/3rd of that.

Coincidence indeed! :ph34r: Maybe even the same factory! We want pics Azonic!

Coincidence indeed! :ph34r: Maybe even the same factory! We want pics Azonic!

The UD carbon is a beaut up close.

post-1965-0-03379200-1342181511.jpg

post-1965-0-65943400-1342181536.jpg

post-1965-0-75591300-1342181572.jpg

post-1965-0-60381200-1342181597.jpg

But it's a 26er. Hardly comparable.

But it's a 26er. Hardly comparable.

What are you talking about? My frame is a 29er.

Edited by Azonic