What do we need to become a better skilled Mountain Biker?

Hi Guys, I read some articles here on thehubsa.com and I thought I would let you know about my thoughts on technical training and skills.

What do we need to become a better skilled Mountain Biker?

I believe…

beginners should practice the following elements first:

• General fitness + flexibility
  • Mounting and dismounting
  • Body positioning
  • Balance
  • Braking
  • Shifting
  • Hill starts
  • Pedalling technique

Once comfortable with the above, riders can begin practicing the following:

• Cornering – get a feeling for timing, distance and the ground conditions
  • Pick up your front wheel – so may different ways
  • Leaning back when riding down hill
  • Pushing and pumping
  • Pedalling technique

Once comfortable with all of the above, riders can begin practicing the following more advanced skills:

• Advanced cornering – tight slow corners, fast corners...
  • Manual – keep your front wheel up for more than 1m
  • Bunny hop – practice on flat pedals first
  • Jumping (not very important) - practice on flat pedals first
  • Pedalling technique – advanced
  • And much more…

Now we can talk about Training Programs, Intervals, recovery drinks and skills/technique training for specific disciplines

What else is important?

Ride on…

I can do some more advanced stuff, but it seems I'm a beginner... Hill starts still get me, just can't get going sometimes. :blush: Feel like a tortoise on it's back! (But it's getting better...)

Nice post!!! Op clearly has thought about this, thought I was a half decent novice but from that list I am not to sure any more.

What about adding performing a wheelie to the list somewhere, I mean a 10m peddled one. First on an uphill then flat then downhill?

Edited by DaddyG

Once comfortable with all of the above, riders can begin practicing the following more advanced skills:

• Advanced cornering – tight slow corners, fast corners...
  • Manual – keep your front wheel up for more than 1m
  • Bunny hop – practice on flat pedals first
  • Jumping (not very important) - practice on flat pedals first
  • Pedalling technique – advanced
  • And much more…

*gasp*

Jumping... "not important"?! ... I guess if you never wanna feel awesome! :P :lol:

Start by riding as often as possible

Work on your slow balance (ride around slowly try not to put feet down and then add small obstacles as you progress)

Body position very important.

Commitment also very important.

PRACTICE!!PRACTICE!!PRACTICE.

Nice post!!! Op clearly has thought about this, thought I was a half decent novice but from that list I am not to sure any more.

What about adding performing a wheelie to the list somewhere, I mean a 10m peddled one. First on an uphill then flat then downhill?

If you can already wheelie a good way to turn this into an advanced effort is to slow down to a stop, pause there and then get going again whilst keeping the front wheel off the ground all the time. Wheeling in a circle and through cones is another great effort.

Kalamazzo, that is a good list of skills. Through the years of riding I've found the biggest factor that determines the speed at which people improve is how confident they are and how much risk they are prepared to take learning these new skills. Get them feeling 'sure footed' on a bike and they're far more likely to attempt something they haven't done before.

Like what you're doing! Follow the posts. Keep it up.

I jut cannot Wheelie, no matter what. And the bunny hopping isn't really happening so well either.

I'm ok on most technical stuff but my problem is trying to do it at speed. :blush:

Got the hill starts though :P

I jut cannot Wheelie, no matter what. And the bunny hopping isn't really happening so well either.

I'm ok on most technical stuff but my problem is trying to do it at speed. :blush:

Got the hill starts though :P

In Brian Lopes' book on technical riding he says while girls were playing with barbie, most boys were trying to get their front wheel off the ground. So we got a bit of a head start. :P

Agree on the balls.

Most important for beginners is gettting comfortable with clipless pedals.

For intermediate it is balance, steering and traction at low speed (steep and technical climbs). Also to loose fear of speed (whick is your friend, see first comment above).

Ultimately confidence is the main thing and you only get it with practice and more practice, preferably riding with friends that have more skill than you. Nothing beats adrenaline and testosterone to get you to try something you would never try when riding alone.

Nice topic.

*gasp*

Jumping... "not important"?! ... I guess if you never wanna feel awesome! :P :lol:

you always need to jump and you need to be awsome :thumbup: :P ;)