Which 29er to buy?

Troskie C

I disagree. So suggested another option to look at. How did it suddenly become no longer suitable? Your'e shopping on a budget why not rather get the best bike for your money thats not based on a wheel size. If youre dead keen on a 29er then go for it, not saying that its right or wrong either.

That's an entirely different discussion for another thread, not here where a guy specifically asks about buying a 29'er.

You added no value other than trying to preach and enforce the gospel of the little wheels.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon Frame @ cost R4000, you already have all components on your old bike

All you need is a wheel set and fork.

Frame R4000,

fork R4000

Wheelset 4000

Tyres 1000

Already way over budget,

Out of those three go with the Vida,

That's an entirely different discussion for another thread, not here where a guy specifically asks about buying a 29'er.

You added no value other than trying to preach and enforce the gospel of the little wheels.

Thats your opinion and you are welcome to it. I disagree. No one was preaching or trying to enforce anything, as I said if he wants to get a 29er thats his indaba, and that it was not a bad option but to ALSO consider what I voiced as my opinion. I did not say he has to get a 26" bike now did I? Enjoy your day

Frame R4000,

fork R4000

Wheelset 4000

Tyres 1000

Already way over budget,

Out of those three go with the Vida,

Get a wheel set and fork off the hub.

It won't be R8000.00

• 1 month later...

Looking to buy a 29er +/- R17000 question go for brand I know like Merida TFS XT D 29ER, Scott Elite, Silverback Vida 1 or what about the Titan 29R Carbon Race can get it for R16 500 dont know the brand.

Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner

Edited by RacerX

Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner Niner
thanks for that very important lesson noem hom sommer n dik wiel

Vida1,

Iv'e ridden the Vida2 and was impressed with how it felt. Not tried the Titan but i'm not a fan of carbon MTB's.

I've just bought the Titan 29R Pro Alloy (+-R14500), upgraded the M505 Brakes to XT (+-R2100) which came in under your price tag. It has a tapered steerer, full XT groupset (including hubs, the Merida has Alivio) and a RockShox Reba fork.

The Vida and Merida don't have a tapered steerer so you're sacrificing on firmness up front but they both have a better fork in the Fox. The Vida has SLX brakes which are decent but the Merida comes with M505 (Shimano Uncategorised brakes).

Be careful of a "deal", they will sacrifice some component to drop price. The M505 brakes are a common price saving strategy by the manufacturers.

I've just been down this road in the exact price range you're looking for. Also look at the Momsen AL529, it was between those two for me.

Oh, something I forgot to mention is that Titan is built in the same factory as Merida, same supplier, distributor and warranty. I stand corrected but I've been told they are even designed by Merida but this is unconfirmed.

Oh, something I forgot to mention is that Titan is built in the same factory as Merida, same supplier, distributor and warranty. I stand corrected but I've been told they are even designed by Merida but this is unconfirmed.
Thanks what is you choice between carbon and alloy is there that much dif dont know what to do big decision

Thanks what is you choice between carbon and alloy is there that much dif dont know what to do big decision

I went for Alloy because of my price point. Also I don't know carbon frames that well and they break easier, although under warranty you shouldn't have a problem.

Some people prefer alloy over carbon from what I read up. Advantages of the carbon are that you get more shock dampening and a stiffer ride. But going 29er and if you went tubeless with lower tyre pressure you'd dampen the shock through the tyres and not the frame.

Set yourself a target, mine was 29er, hardtail, alloy, XT groupset under R17K. I ruled out 26er because that's what I have and wanted to try the craze of 29er - so far so good. Ruled out soft tale because of price and weight, I'd have to compromise components to get my price point. And set a benchmark of XT groupset all round, the standard M505 brakes on most bikes in that price range are rubbish. Ruled out carbon because of price, the Titan Carbon is nice and well priced but I wasn't going to keep the entire package under R17K.

Also remember that you'll want to get extras like saddle back, spare 29er tubes (if you're coming from a 26er like me), bike computer, bar-ends, water bottle cage, ect. This all pushes your price up.

Another thing you'll want to think about is at some point upgrading the wheels and tyres. Going tubeless will set you back about R1700 alone, not to mention upgrading the rims at some point.

I had about R18k, also went Alloy, Giant XTC 0 29er.

2012 XT is awesome. Nothing wrong with a alloy frame. I've upgraded my wheels since to ZTR Crest + Hope Pro 2Evo, light strong wheels are more important than a Carbon frame IMHO.

Momsen AL729 comes in at R19990 - FULL XT - brakes everything with Crest Wheels - Tubeless conversion

Cannot beat that !!!!

Weight is quote at just over 11kgs