29er Gearing Mindf*ck

Azonic

Confusion doesn't explain...

I've been riding/racing 26'ers forEVER. All the way since MTB's had 7 gears at the back, and Nishiki's had 46/36 rings in the front.

I'm not a bad rider, I'd like to believe. A Professional Amateur :whistling:

My current sled is a Merida 96'er 2000D Carbon, 26". And I love it, it goes really well. On this bike I am running a 3x10 system, 22/32/42 XT crankset with a 11x36 cassette.

Enter 29'er custom build within a week or two...

I have NO idea what crankset I should be putting on this bike... or should I say, what ratio rings. I'm leaning towards a 2x10 setup with a 42x28 X9 crankset with a 11x36 cassette. Good idea, bad idea? Too steep on the easy side? I read that a 28 x 36 "easy" gear is about the same as a 22 x 28 ratio - but it doesn't say whether that's on a 26'er or 29'er.

Back in the day, cassettes were 11/12 - 28 with a 22 granny and you could pedal up the side of a house with that...

What says you? 26er to 29er converts, what to go for?

And another question, hopefully Johan B can answer this one...

There is a nice crankset on CRC that I'm after, but its "meant" for a 9 speed system. If I have a 10 speed cassette and chain (I guess the chain is the thing here), will that chain run over the rings of that "9 speed" crankset? I've heard guys put 10s rings on, but stock? Will it work? I'm guessing a 9 speed crankset - the rings are a ballhair further appart to give space for the slightly fatter 9 speed chain. So that being said, with a 10s chain being marginally narrower, lets say you are in big ring and you click once down to middle ring (if you had a 3 ring crankset). The front jockey will have to move a little bit more before it starts touching the chain to start moving it to the smaller ring. AND, the middle ring is also fractionatly further away from the big ring than on a "10 speed" crankset. Will that shift (work)?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38/26 on the front and 11/36 on the rear ( 2x10 ).

Remneber you have a bigger wheel to spin so unless you built like hulk you need to ease up on the topend a bit

I went from 44/32/22 - 11/32 on a 26" to the above and find it to be a pleasure .

Edited by Iron

Confusion doesn't explain...

I've been riding/racing 26'ers forEVER. All the way since MTB's had 7 gears at the back, and Nishiki's had 46/36 rings in the front.

I'm not a bad rider, I'd like to believe. A Professional Amateur :whistling:

My current sled is a Merida 96'er 2000D Carbon, 26". And I love it, it goes really well. On this bike I am running a 3x10 system, 22/32/42 XT crankset with a 11x36 cassette.

Enter 29'er custom build within a week or two...

I have NO idea what crankset I should be putting on this bike... or should I say, what ratio rings. I'm leaning towards a 2x10 setup with a 42x28 X9 crankset with a 11x36 cassette. Good idea, bad idea? Too steep on the easy side? I read that a 28 x 36 "easy" gear is about the same as a 22 x 28 ratio - but it doesn't say whether that's on a 26'er or 29'er.

Back in the day, cassettes were 11/12 - 28 with a 22 granny and you could pedal up the side of a house with that...

What says you? 26er to 29er converts, what to go for?

There is a nice crankset on CRC that I'm after, but its "meant" for a 9 speed system. If I have a 10 speed cassette and chain (I guess the chain is the thing here), will that chain run over the rings of that "9 speed" crankset? I've heard guys put 10s rings on, but stock? Will it work? I'm guessing a 9 speed crankset - the rings are a ballhair further appart to give space for the slightly fatter 9 speed chain. So that being said, with a 10s chain being marginally narrower, lets say you are in big ring and you click once down to middle ring (if you had a 3 ring crankset). The front jockey will have to move a little bit more before it starts touching the chain to start moving it to the smaller ring. AND, the middle ring is also fractionatly further away from the big ring than on a "10 speed" crankset. Will that shift (work)?

I may be way out of line here but weren't you one of the PA29ER

People against 29ers.

I went for 38/24 and a 12/36 on the back.

For me 26 on the front leaves me a bit short on gears on the steep climbs

+1 on Iron's comments.

Front chainring ratios you have to look at 1 x1.5 (that is 26 x 39 sizes) if you are looking at 2x10.

Furthermore, I would suggest the following for a 29er:

175mm length crank arm (bigger wheels = bigger leverage to turn, and the 175 will help)

You will note the following when riding the SAME speed with other riders on 26" wheels:

Put BOTH your bike in the highest available gear (39x11 for you like setup explained above).

Now, pedal with your friend... You will see that your cadence is still slower at the same speed, and he might have a 42T on a 26" bike.

That is the size of the wheel talking.

Much more than a 26x39T up front might be MUCH more MUNCH.

Happy building, and WELCOME to the 29" world!

+1 on the 38/24, but with an 11-36 cassette

Hi Guys

In this instance, the 24/38, the ratio is more than the industry proven 1 x 1.5 ratio.

NOTHING wrong, there will just be a "gap" in the gearing when riding between small and large chainring.

The 24 option is also viable for a 29" bike, but then go for a 24/36T ratio.

I converted from 9 spd 26" to 10Spd 29", Used the same Crank, XT 770, the front shifting feels the same...

I may be way out of line here but weren't you one of the PA29ER

People against 29ers.

Indeed. I think I might have eventually faded into the mindset that different bikes suite different courses. I'm building the 29'er for Trans Baviaans and courses where a 29e'r might be better. My 26'er won't be retired and will probably be used most of the time still. My 'Rida eats 29'ers for breakfast. But, like on Last year's Trans Baviaans - when I'm spinning my moer out on slight downhills, the bloody 29'ers just roll past you and you can do nothing but watch in awe.

Furthermore, I would suggest the following for a 29er:

175mm length crank arm (bigger wheels = bigger leverage to turn, and the 175 will help)

That is another spanner in the works for me. I use 180mm cranks... There aren't allot of options out there. So its a mission to find 180mm cranks, WITH a ratio that's workable...

That is another spanner in the works for me. I use 180mm cranks... There aren't allot of options out there. So its a mission to find 180mm cranks, WITH a ratio that's workable...

Dont waiste time looking for 180 just get 175 . unless you 7foot tall .

Edited by Iron

I converted from 9 spd 26" to 10Spd 29", Used the same Crank, XT 770, the front shifting feels the same...

Ok right, so you saying you're running a 10s cassette and chain, on a XT 770 crankset which is 9 speed... and its fine?

Dont waiste time looking for 180 just get 175 . unless you 7foot tall .

I've been using 180mm for the last 14 years, not changing now.

I initially ran a 42/28 setup on my Tallboy and after some knee discomfort switched to a 39/26 setup which for me seems to work better. Matter of Trial and error, depending on the type of riding you do. If your riding consist of mostly flat terrain with no huge mountains I would recomend the 42/28 setup whereas if mountains come into the equation I would rather opt for a 39/26setup.

I have noticed that on the 2X10 Shimano and Sram's ratio's differ - worth looking into

if you are a Professional amateur - then you should ride a 42 blade - especially if you want this rig for baviaans. and fast open stuff

I had a 42.26 and was good but kept dropping the chain off the inside of the 26. i now ride a 2x 9 42.28 and am much happier. I only use a 11/34 9 speed rear ratio. I had a 32 before with the 26 blade and rode epic on that.

I suppose you'll have to ask: are you a spinner of a grinder and choose blades to suit. the 11-36 is plenty gears for a good athlete with a 42.28 IMHO

Edited by The Italian Job