Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Can't you find a replacement locally? Im sure JKM in Oxford street has something that could work?

It's in the post free of charge from thomson :thumbup:

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger off philistine! She's a thing of beauty that just happens to have a hex screw stripped in the most inconvenient place. I should have realised Thomson would have used imperial hex bolts.... :oops:

Isn't that just a regular grub screw? Most hardware stores should stock them.

Have you managed to remove the stripped screw already?

That like your local engineering supply store?

They have pretty much every nut, bolt, screw and thingy in existence. :P

Edited by Maxxis

Isn't that just a regular grub screw? Most hardware stores should stock them.

Have you managed to remove the stripped screw already?

What does it look like?

Regular grub screw, but I can't remove from the cam. i don't know if you get easy-outs in that size.

What does it look like?

Probably one of these...

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m3tMVYTFJhyqt0N1FOkumpw.jpg

According to the Thompson manual is a 2mm. Going to be interesting getting it out, but if you can find a reverse thread brill bit in that size you may be in business, otherwise tap in a small flathead screwdriver and try that. It shouldn't be too tight in there...

Probably one of these...

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m3tMVYTFJhyqt0N1FOkumpw.jpg

According to the Thompson manual is a 2mm. Going to be interesting getting it out, but if you can find a reverse thread brill bit in that size you may be in business, otherwise tap in a small flathead screwdriver and try that. It shouldn't be too tight in there...

Or if you can't... and you have a throw-away drill bit that's JUST too big to fit, just hammer it gently into the keyed section of the bolt and set the drill to reverse, then set the bit into the chuck after it's seated and drill it out without actually drilling into it.

Or if you can't... and you have a throw-away drill bit that's JUST too big to fit, just hammer it gently into the keyed section of the bolt and set the drill to reverse, then set the bit into the chuck after it's seated and drill it out without actually drilling into it.

I'll give that a shot this weekend, I was worried about drilling the thread out but this might just work :thumbup:

I'll give that a shot this weekend, I was worried about drilling the thread out but this might just work :thumbup:

Yeah, you don't want to damage the thread. But this won't, and as long as you remove the seatpost from the bike, and the saddle from the seatpost, and brace the little lever properly, it should work. As long as you're careful and don't go all Hulk Smash on it, that is. You're going to have to get it out sometime anyway!!!

You can bring the bike to my place and use any of the tools I have. I just wont be doing any drilling or tapping on your bike.

Haven't you butchered that grub screw enough already? :whistling:

Haven't you butchered that grub screw enough already? :whistling:

NO :devil: If it doesn't work there's still a part on its way from to thomson, so there's no harm in trying

NO :devil: If it doesn't work there's still a part on its way from to thomson, so there's no harm in trying

If we do a ride this weekend I can always bring my easy outs and see if the smallest one will work..

Okay - question. i950 or Lev?

Is the Lev worth the extra just for the better cable routing, or is there something I'm not getting?

Lev. Yes. Yes, it is worth it!

(Keep in mind that I was willing to drill an insert on my SL-R to get rid of the cable "loop")