Advice needed - 20km/40km????

martinsnyman

Thanks for the correction.... :blush: No offense

As I read your post I realized that had done a year of Aerobic riding (40km plus every morning five days a week) before starting with intervals and such. I re-read your first post and would suggest martinsnyman rather follow your advice :thumbup:

No worries man! I like how humble you are by the way. It is nice to see and not often seen that someone will change their minds publically. So, cool, we are all still learning as it is a sport that is actually a lifestyle.

40.....btw if you do a few more races before the 94.7 mtb race you will find you are going to be left extremely disappointed by the 94.7. Riding a bike is never k@k but that "race" is about as close you get to experiencing a k@k ride IMO.

40.....btw if you do a few more races before the 94.7 mtb race you will find you are going to be left extremely disappointed by the 94.7. Riding a bike is never k@k but that "race" is about as close you get to experiencing a k@k ride IMO.

Hi there - please elaborate? Not very challenging or what?

Well um..... you will more than likely be seeded near the back. There are too many people, too many bottle necks, and it really isn't a very interesting route compared to what we have on offer in other races around JHB. Go there with the idea of it being a fun ride, nothing more. You will be way fitter and stronger than your eventual finishing time suggests. I have done this race with my 9 year old neice to introduce her to fun riding and I suggest you do the same with a young family member. At least then when you are beaten by 3000 tannies and kiddies in takkies starting in 2 groups ahead of you, you will have an excuse. I may sound like a snob but seriously there are a dozen races inbetween now and the 94 that are waaaaay more fun, challenging and prettier. As I said, this is only my opinion. Other may think it's great. In the end we do this for fun.

hey martin, like the_break said, ride the 20's for a while... when u start finishing them in the top 15 spots you will know when its time to move on to bigger races!

If I had to wait to finish top 15, I would never have made the transition to the longer distances. :blush:

(just don't hang about the 20kms for too long, an adult outsprinting a 9yr old to the finish is not cool.)

Edited by Fester

I agree. try the 40. You have nothing to loose. I did the Argus after plottering around town with my kid for a while. I did one 36km flat training ride before and that was it. Sure I cramped like I have never cramped in my life, etc. but then again it was 42 degrees when I crossed the finish line. It is mostly about what is between your ears as they say. I cramped half way and asked myself I must decide if I wanted to finish or not. If I was gonna bail I would bail at that point. No way I was gonna cycle with cramps and then bail. Decided to finish. 2nd half of race took over 4 hours. 1st half under two. The human body is capable of strange things. Unless you try you wont know this... So if you are generally in good health (the fact that you could do a 20 suggests so) then go for it. Just use some crampstop or simular before the time. Without it your body will rebel if you are not used to the exercise.

I agree. try the 40. You have nothing to loose. I did the Argus after plottering around town with my kid for a while. I did one 36km flat training ride before and that was it. Sure I cramped like I have never cramped in my life, etc. but then again it was 42 degrees when I crossed the finish line. It is mostly about what is between your ears as they say. I cramped half way and asked myself I must decide if I wanted to finish or not. If I was gonna bail I would bail at that point. No way I was gonna cycle with cramps and then bail. Decided to finish. 2nd half of race took over 4 hours. 1st half under two. The human body is capable of strange things. Unless you try you wont know this... So if you are generally in good health (the fact that you could do a 20 suggests so) then go for it. Just use some crampstop or simular before the time. Without it your body will rebel if you are not used to the exercise.

Hehe I can see why you cramped so badly and took so long to do the race. You crazy man! :)