Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" or Pyga Dual 29"

CJVDM

Just visited Cyclelab today and they are putting a XL Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26er on sale for R32,000 (new i think normally R38k to R40k). I was also contemplating the Pyga one-ten @ R40K. Specs for both below.

The problem, i weigh 105kg, mostly a weekend warrior buy try to do a weekly night ride as well.

The Pyga would probably weight approx 12kg+ and is 29er while the Cannondale comes in at 10.1kg but is a 26er. Both are dualies. The Cannondale is probably a better climber and racing machine while the Pyga is better at uneven terrain + downhills. The groupset on the Cannondale is slightly better ?

Im torn between the 2, the Cannondale is a beautiful racing machine while the Pyga is the more rugged brother. But there is a R8,000 difference......

Which one would you recommend, taking into account the cost????

Cannondale specs

Cannondale Scalpel Carbon frame

Cannodale Alu Lefty

Shimano XT shifters

Shimano XT Rear derailer

Shimano SLX Front derailer

Avid Elixir R disc brakes

FSA Afterburner BB30 crank

DT Swiss XCR17 Wheelset

Fox RP23 rear shock

Pyga TOP SPEC. R40,500.00 INCL. VAT

FORK: REVELATION RCT3 120MM, SOLO AIR, TAPERED, BLACK REAR DER: SRAM X0, LONG CAGE, 10SPD, GOLD

FRONT DER: SRAM X9, HIGH DIRECT MOUNT, 2X10, DUAL PULL SHIFTERS: SRAM X9

BRAKES: ELIXIR, 180MM/160MM, CARBON LEVERS, STORM GREY CRANKSET: OEM X0 EQUIV. S2210, CARBON, 36T/22T, 175MM, MATT CARBON

BB: BB92 PRESSFIT

CASSETTE: PG-1070 CASSETTE 10SP 11-36

CHAIN: PC1051, SOLIDPIN, SILVER

HEADSET: CANE CREEK

BARS: T30 NOIR, CARBON, FLAT, 700MM

STEM: STYLO T20, 90MM, 5DEG, BLASTBLACK SEAT POST: STYLO T30, 25MM OFFSET, BLASTBLACK SADDLE: WTB SILVERADO

GRIPS: RITCHEY

WHEELS & RIMS: STANS, ARCH, 15MM FRNT, 142MM 12MM REAR TIRES: MAXXIS IKON 2.2

TUBES: TUBELESS INCLUDED

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of rider are you, do you like bunny hopping, kapping wheelies and doing circus tricks? If yes then go 26". The Dale will be like a very quick and excited little race pony that needs to be kept under control. The Pyga will just eat rough terrain for breakfast and then ask for more, and it is more calm and stable and more comfortable, and a much better option for heavier riders.

Why even spend so much? For R17000 you can have a Silverback Vida 1 which weighs about 11.5kg and has the best wheels and components for it's class. In my opinion if you tip the scale at 90kg plus then 500g or even 1kg is not worth the money. Did the 70km at Cullinan on my Vida 1 in just a bit over 4 hours and with a little more fitness I'm sure I can get close to 3.5 hours. I weigh 95kg coming from 110kg in the last year or so.

Technology-wise the Scalpel is an excellent bike but the Lefty does need a bit of looking after (bearing resets etc) and the maintenance must be done by someone with the skills and tools.

Also the rear travel is limited on the Scalpel and its not suitable for jumps / airtime but fine for most events we have, marathons.

Is the Pyga FS?

Why even spend so much? For R17000 you can have a Silverback Vida 1 which weighs about 11.5kg and has the best wheels and components for it's class. In my opinion if you tip the scale at 90kg plus then 500g or even 1kg is not worth the money. Did the 70km at Cullinan on my Vida 1 in just a bit over 4 hours and with a little more fitness I'm sure I can get close to 3.5 hours. I weigh 95kg coming from 110kg in the last year or so.

Vida 1 is a hardtail.

The OP ask for help deciding between two full suspension bikes.

Pyga all the way, it will give you many hours of fun in the saddle.

Vida 1 is a hardtail.

The OP ask for help deciding between two full suspension bikes.

Pyga all the way, it will give you many hours of fun in the saddle.

That's true :D , but I've found that for me coming from a old 26inch Cannondale with a headshock the Vida is like a softtail. :thumbup:

Why even spend so much? For R17000 you can have a Silverback Vida 1 which weighs about 11.5kg and has the best wheels and components for it's class.

The OP is too heavy for the Stans wheelset that comes standard on the Vida 1. And yes its a hardtail.

Perhaps consider the Silverback Mercury Elite and fit it with these: http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-29er-wheel-mountain-bike-clincher.html

It will still be cheaper than either of the original options listed. There is a whole MTBR thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/cheap-chinese-carbon-rims-673410-77.html) dedicated to these carbon wheels and apparently they are quite good. The company will even do custom built AM wheels based on rider weight and hub/spoke preference.