Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" or Pyga Dual 29"

CJVDM

The oke wants a Cannondale or Pyga and now you guys want to sway him into getting a Silverback - WTF

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question then. I would go with the Pyga as the Cannondale is nice but as mentioned servicing the shock is not only finicky but helluva expensive too.

Also ask yourself whether such an expensive purchase is worth while given the type of riding you will be doing (competitive top 50 or social top 5 amongst friends). Don't for one second think that the salesperson is going to give you insight into cheaper alternatives more suited to the type of riding you will be doing as he's earning a living off your cash. He also knows that come service time he can ask you a premium as you are cycling the premium.

The oke wants a Cannondale or Pyga and now you guys want to sway him into getting a Silverback - WTF

The problem, i weigh 105kg, mostly a weekend warrior buy try to do a weekly night ride as well.

Which one would you recommend, taking into account the cost????

Well, he is a weekend warrior and cost is a concern. If he were Bill Gates it would not matter what a bike costs. We are merely giving additional good options that cost less than the two bikes he has been looking at. The components of the Silverback Mercury Elite are comparable to those of the Cannondale, but the bike only costs about R18 000. I'm not saying he should necessarily buy a Silverback, but that there are other brands out there that offer very good value for the casual rider.

Cannondale Scalpel 26" vs Pyga OneTen 29" is a bit like comparing a Ford Focus raleigh car with a VW Taureg Paris Dakar contender

They are 2 very different machines

Will be test riding the PYGA over the weekend and will comment following this :)

We expect a full review on Monday with Pichas ey!

Well, he is a weekend warrior and cost is a concern. If he were Bill Gates it would not matter what a bike costs. We are merely giving additional good options that cost less than the two bikes he has been looking at. The components of the Silverback Mercury Elite are comparable to those of the Cannondale, but the bike only costs about R18 000. I'm not saying he should necessarily buy a Silverback, but that there are other brands out there that offer very good value for the casual rider.

If cost is an issue then the Giant Anthem 29er is the better option. In fact for me the Anthem will be just a bit better suited to the type of riding I do, XC marathon and some trail riding when not training for fitness.

Hairy you are playing with fire... If you look at comments from Cycho and others who have ridden the PYGA, Start saving.....

Hairy you are playing with fire... If you look at comments from Cycho and others who have ridden the PYGA, Start saving.....

I recon a pic of the PYGA next to my Shova would be a great little memento before having to sell all I own :)

Will be test riding the PYGA over the weekend and will comment following this :)

Yes, thats what im looking for. Someone with 1sthand experience So many people are recommending the Pyga but have never ridden it and basing their comments on the reviews. But the review did draw my attention as well and i spoke to one of the testers (Steve at cyclelab) who also believes that its a brilliant bike.

Cannondale Scalpel 26" vs Pyga OneTen 29" is a bit like comparing a Ford Focus raleigh car with a VW Taureg Paris Dakar contender They are 2 very different machines

Yes, and therein lies my frustration. I am not saying im going to win any races (in fact ill bet on not winning any races) but i would still want something that is considered to be fast. I am sure the Pyga is more comfortable but i wouldnt want to sacrifice speed for comfort. But the question is whether you are really sacrificing speed or not? which i suppose brings us back to the whole 26 vs 29 discussion. According to Steve, (and he is not dissing the 29er) the whole of South Africa is 29 verskrik while most of Europe is sticking to 26ers. If the Cannondale was 29er, would your answer have been the same?

I want to say Cannondale - but ....you'll have more fun on the Pyga

An everyone keeps saying that......, which is eventually probably the thing that will deter me from buying the Cannondale....

My aim is eventually to do the Sani2C next yr (and W2W this yr if i can get an entry).

I might be looking at a hardtail as well, but reckon if the Pyga is getting such good reviews it must be worth it ;) I just dont like the current brushed alu finish. I'll wait until a better looking frame is produced. The Cannondale is just available right now :D

Yes, thats what im looking for. Someone with 1sthand experience So many people are recommending the Pyga but have never ridden According to Steve, (and he is not dissing the 29er) the whole of South Africa is 29 verskrik while most of Europe is sticking to 26ers. If the Cannondale was 29er, would your answer have been the same?

No , then the Dale

Just a note.

I have a Shiny Silver PYGA at my desk, it looks SO MUCH BETTER in the flesh vs the pics and it has a nice feel to her. Granted I just cycled about 3k's from collecting her back to the office in a rather rainy CT CBD.

So now I look forward to playing over the weekend :)

H

Just a note.

I have a Shiny Silver PYGA at my desk, it looks SO MUCH BETTER in the flesh vs the pics and it has a nice feel to her. Granted I just cycled about 3k's from collecting her back to the office in a rather rainy CT CBD.

So now I look forward to playing over the weekend :)

H

So....???? Any reviews yet????