Back Wheel Fell Out!!!!

Scott2luvit

Check your skewers and tyre pressures

Lube your chain (a wash and lube does not mean the chain is lubed)

If they touched any of the bolts on your seat post, stem or headset check with a torque wrench (I am yet to see a bike shop that actually torques the bolts)

If they replace any parts, ask for the used parts back afterwards, even if you just throw it in the bin as you leave the shop (shock seals, brake pads, etc)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had both 1 x steerertube not tightened correctly murphy's law doing some technical ST handlebars are straight while my front wheel turned sideways luckally managed to bail and not hurt myself.

Had a rear wheel come loose, that said however, I have knocked a CR on a rock before that loosened the skewer and it fell out too.

Bottom line is precheck everything on your bike before you go regardless if its been serviced.

buy "CR" I'm guessing you mean "QR" and if so, which way do you face them once clamped?

on the 2/4 bikes that have QR rear axles I always face the clamp lever backwards so that any long grass/rocks/whatever doesn't unlock the QR if it gets caught.

I did not know you could get them for a back wheel :huh:

Course you can... depends on the frame though... haha!

My 2 bigger morewoods have them. My little morewood is unfortunately QR only. And my Dale is QR with the option for Through Axle Drop outs (which I should try source).

I know quite a few of the Commencals also have various drop out options that will rance from SS horizontals, QR, 10mm bolt on, and 12mm TA.

As for the front... all my bikes run 20mm TA with 2 running Rock Shox Maxles, 1 running the Fox 20mm QR TA, and the other running the Marzo equvalent. I like my wheels to stay put :lol:

Edited by patches

buy "CR" I'm guessing you mean "QR" and if so, which way do you face them once clamped?

on the 2/4 bikes that have QR rear axles I always face the clamp lever backwards so that any long grass/rocks/whatever doesn't unlock the QR if it gets caught.

Good tip there :thumbup: Your avatar could be my avatars father

When I was a laatie, my old man repaired a puncture on my front wheel and forgot to tighten the quick release.

I rode with a friend, jumped over a speed bump and as I was in the air, my front wheel came out.

Just about the hardest I have ever gone down. Some guy picked me up next to the road and gave me and the bike a lift home in his car

When I was a laatie, my old man repaired a puncture on my front wheel and forgot to tighten the quick release.

I rode with a friend, jumped over a speed bump and as I was in the air, my front wheel came out.

Just about the hardest I have ever gone down. Some guy picked me up next to the road and gave me and the bike a lift home in his car

Dude that is HECTIC!

.........I like my wheels to stay put :lol:

So do I and I trust NOBODY but myself to ensure that!

I was riding with a mate when we were kids, he was on his new bomber and his brother who had put it togther for him forgot to tighten the bolt for the axle and he hit a jump, was probably about 3 ft in the air and the front wheel fell out, needles to say it was not pretty, still to this day the sight of blood makes me queezy.

Once I was riding behind my 14 yr old son, his rear wheel hit a half brick sized rock and he instantly went flying one way with the bike and the rear wheel going the opposite way. Cost me R600 to have him stitched up in the emergency room at the Kloof hospital. Upon inspection I found that the little allen screw that secures the rear derailleur hanger was missing. This caused the wheel to be less secure due to the skewer being tightened against an unsecured hanger. Worked OK until hitting the rock caused the sideways force to kick the wheel out of the frame.

check that little hanger screw! ;)

I could write a book on LBS errors from cranks coming lose after a service, faulty fitting of cassette after having a spoke replaced on the rear wheel, jockey misaligned after a service, damage done to the freewheel on a rear hub after the wheel was serviced and..and..and list goes on.

There will always be something that might go wrong, but its what and how the LBS deals with it that makes me return in future.

Mate of mine had a Volcan. The hanger broke while he was riding, and the back wheel dropped out. Pretty nasty crash.

Get this, the local agents don't have any hangers for him, they can't source it either. He has a worthless frame now. They don't even take his or his Lbs's calls anymore.

eina x 10

When I was a laatjie, we use to wheelie the Bmx... I fixed a puncture the eve before and rode normally to school.... then that afternoon behind school bus I pop a Wheelie and the front wheel fell out.. I managed to keep it going and put it softly onto the grass pavement... but eish I felt so small for a few days thereafter.....

:ph34r:

Mate of mine had a Volcan. The hanger broke while he was riding, and the back wheel dropped out. Pretty nasty crash.

Get this, the local agents don't have any hangers for him, they can't source it either. He has a worthless frame now. They don't even take his or his Lbs's calls anymore.

Geez thats just crap, he must go viral with this, I would freaking post it everywhere