Buying a MTB.

Johan Schade

I'm a average rider.Compete in 30-40 km MTB rides in WC.

Need a little help from the pro's.

Suspension -

Rock Shox Recon silver and gold. What does Fox offers for die same price?

Any other advise will be nice.

Johan

Edited by Johan Schade

Looks like this topic fell off the map, so I am sort of hi-jacking it for the moment.

I am also in the market to buy a MTB, most probably new. Budget not more than R7500-R8000

So I am browsing specials etc. but what I would like to know is a few of the technical things, such as:

What are the most important components to look at, e.g. is it better to go for the bike with the better brakes or shocks etc.

Then, it would be nice to know the order of quality of components such as Shimano and SRAM.

With regards to brakes, what is OK?

Please help, I am in the dark here.

Fork, the first thing, really, what are your goals? Be honest with yourself as to what you want to achieve and be realistic. This will define if you are looking into hard tail or dual.

Also, why do you not want second hand?

And this is the hardest question, are you a guy who likes to fiddle with your bike and always want to upgrade bits and bobs.

With components, that is a whole can of worms.

Do you want a 26" or 29"? Hardtail or dual suspension?

EDIT: You should know that a DS is quite a bit more expensive than an HT and 29er is more expensive than a 26" at any given spec level. So, you will get the best spec'd bike for your money if buying a 26" hardtail. But, then again, specs are not the only consideration...

Edited by Delilah

Thanks, forgot to mention, i'm set on hard-tail 26, my mind tells me its cheaper to maintain and i can get better spec for by $$

I am not aiming to do big MTB races, I prefer road races, but I do want a MTB to do groenkloof, weekend aways, odd shorter races, mtb with friends and wife.

As much as I would like to fiddle around, I just do not have the time.

And regarding second hand, I do not know enough to make a call on used parts just to learn later that I now have to buy a new crank etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the help

Look at the fork - must be air

And wheels must be good too

The new slx is good enough mixed with maybe an xt rear der.

Look at the fork - must be air

And wheels must be good too

The new slx is good enough mixed with maybe an xt rear der.

Thanks, pardon my ignorance, but why air, big diff?

Thanks, forgot to mention, i'm set on hard-tail 26, my mind tells me its cheaper to maintain and i can get better spec for by $$

I am not aiming to do big MTB races, I prefer road races, but I do want a MTB to do groenkloof, weekend aways, odd shorter races, mtb with friends and wife.

As much as I would like to fiddle around, I just do not have the time.

And regarding second hand, I do not know enough to make a call on used parts just to learn later that I now have to buy a new crank etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the help

your best bet is then to go into a shop and chat to the salesman, ask as many questions as you can think off. Leave the shop and go to another and ask as many questions as you can, leave that and go and ask at another one. This will give you a good idea of what is available new in your price range. Then make up your mind.

However, what hardtail do you have at the moment? What is wrong with it that you want to upgrade ?

Massive difference. ( you dont want trampoline springs for suspension going thru a technical course. )

air forks vs coil forks ? or vs oil forks?

your best bet is then to go into a shop and chat to the salesman, ask as many questions as you can think off. Leave the shop and go to another and ask as many questions as you can, leave that and go and ask at another one. This will give you a good idea of what is available new in your price range. Then make up your mind.

However, what hardtail do you have at the moment? What is wrong with it that you want to upgrade ?

Thanks, seems the best idea, it's not really a matter of upgrading - since I have been doing more road, but I have a VERY old Trek rigid fork etc, so no, I do not have any reference point

Agree with Cavendish, try go for the XT rear and SLX front combo and decent shocks.

I'm a average rider.Compete in 30-40 km MTB rides in WC.

Need a little help from the pro's.

Suspension -

Rock Shox Recon silver and gold. What does Fox offers for die same price?

Any other advise will be nice.

Johan

To answer your question fox doesnt offer anything at the same price as a RS Recon, that said, I own high end bikes in general, and had to ride with a recon gold instead of my Reba RLT ti, and the recon copes with everything the Reba or the Fox does. Its just not as plush, So nothing wrong with a recon gold air shock. (i didnt know you still get coil shocks these days)

And stay away from fox, a great shock that you have to spend a fortune on to service the bloody things every 3 months or they will drop you at the worst possible time by splurging liquid like a 14 year old school nerd.