Buying a MTB.

Johan Schade

To answer your question fox doesnt offer anything at the same price as a RS Recon, that said, I own high end bikes in general, and had to ride with a recon gold instead of my Reba RLT ti, and the recon copes with everything the Reba or the Fox does. Its just not as plush, So nothing wrong with a recon gold air shock. (i didnt know you still get coil shocks these days)

And stay away from fox, a great shock that you have to spend a fortune on to service the bloody things every 3 months or they will drop you at the worst possible time by splurging liquid like a 14 year old school nerd.

And advise him on the Merida theory....

To answer your question fox doesnt offer anything at the same price as a RS Recon, that said, I own high end bikes in general, and had to ride with a recon gold instead of my Reba RLT ti, and the recon copes with everything the Reba or the Fox does. Its just not as plush, So nothing wrong with a recon gold air shock. (i didnt know you still get coil shocks these days)

And stay away from fox, a great shock that you have to spend a fortune on to service the bloody things every 3 months or they will drop you at the worst possible time by splurging liquid like a 14 year old school nerd.

Jeez, that seems a bit excessive :eek: . This will also depend greatly on the amount of mileage youre doing, various trail conditions, there are differant recommendations for service intervals from each manufacturer.

Jeez, that seems a bit excessive :eek: . This will also depend greatly on the amount of mileage youre doing, various trail conditions, there are differant recommendations for service intervals from each manufacturer.

Nah Caerus, Fox makes a great but highly overpriced fork thats total high maintenance thats just a fact unfortuanitly. for half the price of a entry level fox you can get a Reba that outperforms most fox forks "in my humble opinion" and the Reba's you service once a year if you ride them hard. If your a weekend warrior once every two years is generally fine.

Edited by covie

Nah Caerus, Fox makes a great but highly overpriced fork thats total high maintenance thats just a fact unfortuanitly. for half the price of a entry level fox you can get a Reba that outperforms most fox forks "in my humble opinion" and the Reba's you service once a year if you ride them hard. If your a weekend warrior once every two years is generally fine.

I've not serviced my Fox Fork in two years, still all good. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough, I'll have to wait till I'm in CT again for you to show me how its done :whistling:

Thank you Scotty,

These brakes, OK?

BRAKE SET Tektro Aurigo Pro Hydraulic Disc Brake, 180/160mm rotor

On mtbr review they get a good overall rating.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/pls_1507_840crx.aspx#productlisting

I've been riding with Tektro Orions on my bike for 3 weeks now and all be they a bit noisy at times when braking, they work well plus i have not experienced irritating pad rub.

If going for Silverback, see if you can't get a good deal on the Spectra 2: http://www.silverbac...CK/spectra3.htm

It should be possible to find one for 8-8.5k.

A friend of mine has the Spectra 1 and is very happy with the quality and ride.

EDIT: Oh, and you really should ride all candidates on your shortlist before deciding. The better ride is the better buy ;)

Edited by Delilah

which one is the better buy?

http://www.solomonso...products_id=743

or

http://www.silverbac...ACK/alpine1.htm

the Silverback for R7000 or the Fuji for R7500?

Take a look at the Scott Aspect 10. It's similar to the Silverback Alpine 1 but with 10speed so much better for future upgradeability and for only a few R100 more.

It ticked all the boxes:

-Air Shock (Recon Silver)

-Shimano Disc brakes (Has a great feel to it)

-3x10 speeds (Deore with XT RD)

-Hollowtech 2 crank (easy to service bb)

Link: http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/221750/aspect-10/

Price: +- R7500

The Scott Aspect 10 is the bike that sells the most in that price category according to severall bike shops.

Thanks for all the advice, this is really helpful. Looks like the Fuji compares better with the Scott than any with the Silverback.