Replacement value

DustSupp

Hi,

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct place:

I need to find out the replacement value for the following road bike in order to insure:

Frame: Van Tuyl (L) Carbon/Titanium

Groupset: Campag Chorus 10 spd

Handlebars FSA Carbon

Brakes: Chorus carbon levers

Saddle: Sella Italia gelflow

Seatpost USE Alien Carbon

Pedal Dura ace

Wheelset Spinergy X aero

Weight 8,2 kg (not sure this is important)

Value R???????? this is were i require hubber assistance please.

Thanks

Picture's please. What year model is important and possibly how much and kind of mileage. What condition is it in and be honest here. Take into account what you paid for it and work from 60 to 50% depending on condition and whether you just want to get rid of it, and how soon you want to get rid of it. Sounds like you have a pretty nice machine there. Bikes dont hold their resale value unless you have something really special. Good luck.

I'll suggest you take it to 2 or 3 bike shops and let them give you a replacement quote possibly on their letterhead ...and take the average from there . This way you can back up any future claims with authority .

Edited by urbanroyal

I'll suggest you take it to 2 or 3 bike shops and let them give you a replacement quote possibly on their letterhead ...and take the average from there . This way you can back up any future claims with authority .

+1

when I insured my DH bike I took it to 3 LBSers. Being a custom build (much like your road bike) the estimations varied quite a bit. (30k, 38k and 50k). Knowing that I could get a similar bike for 30k, I went with the lowest.

Still need to take my new DH bike in for evaluation, but to protect it in the meantime I gave the insurer a figure of 40k (for now). Replacement based on retail process will be around 55-60k, but who pays retail anyway ;)

I know I could build up a machine like that for 40k. It might take me a while waiting for big CRC discounts on certain parts, but doable... And for now I just want to keep my premiums lower.

Edited by patches

Picture's please. What year model is important and possibly how much and kind of mileage. What condition is it in and be honest here. Take into account what you paid for it and work from 60 to 50% depending on condition and whether you just want to get rid of it, and how soon you want to get rid of it. Sounds like you have a pretty nice machine there. Bikes dont hold their resale value unless you have something really special. Good luck.

MCipollini , thanks but I am not selling the bike, so I fail to see the relevance in what you require. So whether its a 1982 model with 1000 km or a 2011 with 3000 km I still need to insure for replacement value, or am I smokin somthing.

Thanks for the replies the 3 LBS sounds like the route to go,

okay guys, remember - this would need to be replacement value at current NEW retail prices. I have a feeling that the frame alone will be more than R10k in this case.

you cannot insure an asset for it's replacement value at a second hand state. Always new, current prices.

+1

when I insured my DH bike I took it to 3 LBSers. Being a custom build (much like your road bike) the estimations varied quite a bit. (30k, 38k and 50k). Knowing that I could get a similar bike for 30k, I went with the lowest.

Still need to take my new DH bike in for evaluation, but to protect it in the meantime I gave the insurer a figure of 40k (for now). Replacement based on retail process will be around 55-60k, but who pays retail anyway ;)

I know I could build up a machine like that for 40k. It might take me a while waiting for big CRC discounts on certain parts, but doable... And for now I just want to keep my premiums lower.

Thanks for the advice, qoutes varied from R35 - 47 000-00, pretty hectic for insurance purposes.