Yeti bikes

amoryns

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not too familiar with the top of the range carbon frame. which one is it? is this a good all rounder bike? good for climbing and good for descending? Weight?

You never ask what a Yeti weighs, that's just disgusting, LOL

It's like saying you are going to buy a Morewood because you like the paint jobs they have...( :blink:)

:offtopic: Maybe that's why the Pyga's will be raw

Edited by TheV

3 options at the moment...

Spaz

Cannondale

Yeti

Hmmm... I've had a Yeti, currently have a Cannondale, and doubt I'll ever own a Spesh.

If you're based somewhere other than Gauteng, get the Yeti. It will be different. Yeti's are kinda yuppie bikes in Gauteng... hahaha! just kidding V!

But yeah, becasue the only agent is Morningside Cycles, they're nice and rare in the rest of the country.

looking at dual suspension...mostly for stage races and one day races.....haven't reached that stage where I would willingly through myself off a mountain for fun (DH)

Well in that case... if you're not hell bent on standing on a podium, but you're rather aiming for something comfortable as well as capable on the tech... I would go for either a

Yeti ASR5 Carbon. Slightly slacker head angle (1 deg) and about 30mm more travel than the ASR. Will lend itself well to thing like Sani

As for Spesh, the Stumpy would be the way to go

and Dale, it would be the RZ120 (scalpels are for people who hate themselves and don't like the way a full suss should actually feel)

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/mountain/full-suspension/rz-one-twenty

Intense? never heard of it (LOL) :ph34r: ... cant blame them....

Sorry, but I think I'd take the new Tracer over an SB-66 :P :lol:

Yes, it's where patches goes to buy his cross-dressing outfits :eek:

You need to look the part for those 10 inch gaps bru....I think them jumpers are bigger posers than us dirt roadies(grappie ou patches)

@OP...where do you ride...what do you intend doing.

True that. This weekend I was at a race(it's a ride for me, but most call it a race), and while I was pumping the tyres of my girlfriend's bike, two guys walked past, and the one saw my bike and told the other one, "Intense, that sounds like a cheap Asian brand", had a good laugh about that!!

My matt black frame might look average to the uninitiated but there is no mistaking the wife's raw 5.5 as anything other than droolworthy.

To the OP. I think the Yeti ASR is the bike you want.

Edited by slick

You need to look the part for those 10 inch gaps bru....I think them jumpers are bigger posers than us dirt roadies(grappie ou patches)

@OP...where do you ride...what do you intend doing.

We're talking about Yeti bikes here, not Madonna's smile!

:lol:

We're talking about Yeti bikes here, not Madonna's smile!

:lol:

:D

You have quite a lekker problem amoryms...go for comfort imo if you keen to do some general 1 day / stage races. Stumpy is a very capable bike, and if you have the tom, can be built flippen light. Santa Cruz tallboy is another good option to consider especially the new LT one.

Yeti ASR5 Carbon. Slightly slacker head angle (1 deg) and about 30mm more travel than the ASR. Will lend itself well to thing like Sani

Get a wookie bike .. It will make you smile every day.

Rode Sani on my ASR5 this year and had a blast.

You see! Sometimes I do know what I'm talking about :lol:

I should work in a bike shop!

You see! Sometimes I do know what I'm talking about :lol:

I should work in a bike shop!

Ja, I meant he ASR-5.... dUh!

There were two people on ASR-5s at the Mankele Avalanche this year. I helped the one dude set up his overly hard suspension. Being a 5" trail bike, I was a tad surprised to see the front fork was a 130mm travel Fox. Once I had set the sag you could see it barely had 100mm left with him on it. When I told him, he was convinced it was 150mm as that was what he'd been told(sold) but it was clearly 20mm shorter than the RS Sektor on another bike close by. We went to have a look at the other ASR-5 and it had the same Fox fork and the owner was also under the impression that it was 150mm.

have only ever ridden my hardtail...so in two minds whether I should stay with a hardtail or dualie

have only ever ridden my hardtail...so in two minds whether I should stay with a hardtail or dualie

What type of riding do you do most? The Yeti will be a more capable bike on rough, technical, twisty trails. You can never have too many bikes so why not keep the hardtail for rides that suit it more?

Go for the full suspension. The smiles and fun it will invoke on lekker trails and added comfort on multi day rides will make a difference. You'll have way more fun on the dually and will probably be faster as well.

they climb loose tech stuff better too! travel allows traction!

(quite funny that a certain steep climb at the bike park which most can't get up, is doable on a DH bike. 8" travel and wide tyres... oh yeah! problem is the power required to get it to do that isn't sustainable)

I've been considering getting a SB66/SB95 but there are so many issues with these bikes I think I'd prefer for them to mature first before I part with my hard earned cash. From what I've read there are cracked frame issues(mostly on the SB66), wheel against seat post and the most common being the bushes and bearings going with the "switch" technology it uses. Now before anyone says these are isolated issues, they are not. Many people have complained about the bushes and bearings going and that is even after they strengthened them. Just google and you'll see the myriad of problems with these two bikes specifically. On a positive note it appears Yeti have very good customer service but that doesn't detract from the issues, not for me anyway. A pity because I really like these bikes.

Comments ?

Edited by marsbeetle

I rode my ASR-SL (full ally - one of the first Yeti's to arrive in SA back in 2005) for about 6 years before I sold it to a mate of mine earlier this year. It's still going strong two wheelsets, 2 forks and 2 groupsets later... My riding mate had a similar experience with his

Loved that bike, handled like it could read your mind, reliable as anything, and great service from Kirk and Colin at Morningside Cycles. Rode 4 Sani's, an Epic and too many other races to mention

Only reason I changed it was to go the 29er route, and Yeti didn't really offer anything that I was looking for.

Highly recommended - get the Yeti