Lost City 2012

Audible Anarchy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I went out on the 115km but had back issues and did the 69km route, now have DQ next to my name on Champion chip results page.

My question is this, will this affect my seeding in general?

Should I get hold of Champion Chip to change that to DNF ?

No, it will have no effect on your seeding which is the best 3.

In these instances it's better to remove your chip before going over the mats.

ya someone was talking big porkies

Do something like the Jock or the Panorama tour. It will bring things into perspective ;)

Disappointing race of only 51 odd kilometres. Always a let down when the distances are shortened and you go to all the trouble of driving up from Jhb for the day. Might as well have ridden the Braamfontein spruit.

Didnt enjoy the walk up the mountain. My sense is that there should be a green and red route and those who cannot ride it should cop out and take the chicken run.

The Sun/ Lost City area seems set up for some great routes to ride. Im just disappointed that so little riding was possible.

Dont get me wrong! The route was well marked, the marshalls were efficient and friendly. I just wanted more riding!

Come on organisers, give us a complete route next year where we can ride, and get creative to stop the endless walking in singletrack. With all the potential of this area this is a race with great potential.

Disappointing race of only 51 odd kilometres. Always a let down when the distances are shortened and you go to all the trouble of driving up from Jhb for the day. Might as well have ridden the Braamfontein spruit.

Didnt enjoy the walk up the mountain. My sense is that there should be a green and red route and those who cannot ride it should cop out and take the chicken run.

The Sun/ Lost City area seems set up for some great routes to ride. Im just disappointed that so little riding was possible.

Dont get me wrong! The route was well marked, the marshalls were efficient and friendly. I just wanted more riding!

Come on organisers, give us a complete route next year where we can ride, and get creative to stop the endless walking in singletrack. With all the potential of this area this is a race with great potential.

Also didn't enjoy the big hike up the mountain, but was a nice race especially as it is in support of a good cause

Big thanks to the medics, lost concentration for a second and had an epic crash which resulted in a broken arm:(

I did both the road and MTB. enjoyed both although had a mechanical with my Di2 and did 60k in one gear on the road. BIG respect to the single speeders! The new plan for the Mtb route worked well with much less congestion. I would have loved more kays but all I did for both rides was to ride back up to vacation club. 150m elevation with gradient 14% in places- that gets me settled nicely! Will be back...

ya someone was talking big porkies

I are that someone! It is mainly flat with only 3 hills!

What happened to you afterwards? Didn't have my phone so couldn't call.

At the last crossing under the road through the galvanised pipe, marshall flagged us on, went down the incline, sharp turn into the tunnel only to be confronted by some stupid marshall on her huge quad bike coming the other way. She couldn't find her brakes which resulted in her squashing the guy in front of me against the side of the culvert. She can be grateful he was not hurt or his bike damaged because I was ready to smack her off that bike!

Well that confimed it, next year we won't be doing this race. :thumbdown: After the confusion at the start with the 25km starting in front of the 60km race, when we reshuffles we ended up at the back of the group (maybe 20 people behind us)

Probably around 400 people in one start group, so needless to say we were walking within the first 5km's.

Even with doing the race course in "reverse", there was still congestion at the technical bits and we still had to walk up the Lost City hill. :thumbdown: and down the other side. (I had been looking forward to riding down the hill this year)

Section through the Lost City at one place was poorly marked causing the guy in front of me to take a wrong turn, whom I followed.

And then the race was only 51km, robbed again.

I also felt sorry for the poor 25km riders that missed the poorly marked splits and ended up on the 60km route. I'm sure those that tackled the hill aren't going to be to keen to get back on a moutain bike.

This was my first Lost City 60 km. I never got lost although I was alone for long periods so I was happy with the marchalls and the routes. I thought that walk up the hill seriously sucked and I was very worried about the downhill part - I wonder how many guys got badly hurt? Its simply unridable for mere mortals.

This was for a good cause so Ill give it my vote but I would expect for next year the following changes:

Take a time of the year when the veld is more scenic

Cut out the hill walk for goodness sake

Have more track in the reserve at least that was fun