29ers rule - Olympic 1st and 3rd, 4th, 5th .... etc

kingalton

Maybe not much different to that saying (from racing MX etc in the US, I think); "win on Sunday; sell on Monday". Thinking about what they buy and their abilities as hardly being related to the full race article and operator doesn't enter the heads.

Yip like when the four strokes came out. No my two stroke is better then your four stroke. and look yrs later each bike has its place and it all boils down to the RIDER.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i recall the main reason why MX started to go fourstroke was because two stroke engines do not meet emmission standards? I might be wrong.

Dugast is the next big thing, it's the new buzz word, the next level of cool.

If Rammstein wrote that song today, it would be Du Gast.

Du gast it spot on there...

Dugast? those tyres that are tubular?

I have not been able to figure out why yet?

I'd guess similar reasons to CycloCross.

- lighter rims (no clincher hook)

- fewer flats (no pinch flats) (what are the XC pit stop rules?)

- ability to run lower pressures than clinchers (tubed)

- no burping on tubeless

Or, of course, it could be something new to sell.

As far as i recall the main reason why MX started to go fourstroke was because two stroke engines do not meet emmission standards? I might be wrong.

Correct

You did? just wondering if they struggled so much how come they were in front?

Clever conclusion

i think we need to randomly select 20 hubbers - 10 with 26 and 10 with 29 - get them together for three laps of a reputable xc circuit and ............do you know who will come in first?.....the hubbers that can climb hills better!

i think we need to randomly select 20 hubbers - 10 with 26 and 10 with 29 - get them together for three laps of a reputable xc circuit and ............do you know who will come in first?.....the hubbers that can climb hills better!

please, please, please..............don't pick me

Nay man....Its not about the bike

What about dual suspension vs hard tail?

1 DS and and only one gold

I was under the impression that dual suspensions were not that appropriate on a XC course for being among others heavier etc .

The rider clearly makes the difference.

Kulhavy is 1.87 m tall and towards the heavier side 76kg.Still he got gold ....on a (heavier)dual suspension bike.

But that hubber will probably win even further if on a 29er. I used to say 29ers are superior only for marathons, but now I am not so sure, they can be superior in XCO too.

As for the Dugast tyres, remember that Schurter did not use the normal Dugust, it is actually only the carcass, the tread is a Ritchey WCS Shield.

Edited by Berg Bok

But that hubber will probably win even further if on a 29er. I used to say 29ers are superior only for marathons, but now I am not so sure, they can be superior in XCO too.

Seriously bro, its not about the bike.

Guest Omega Man

Yip like when the four strokes came out. No my two stroke is better then your four stroke. and look yrs later each bike has its place and it all boils down to the RIDER.

I have a 4 stroke but OMG 2 strokes are the business. I was at the track the other day and there was a dude with a 2008 KX 250. That thing made the ground shake when he revved it. And they smell so good.

Seriously bro, its not about the bike.

Why then spend money on a bike when you can get a driewiel at Toys R Us for much cheaper?. For me, it is about the bike too, in fact I love my bikes very much, they are my pride and joy, and all of them are 29ers, cause of the way they ride, 29ers give me more joy than a 26er. If I had to ride a Game Dunlop special in the mountain, I probably would not ride.

Guest Omega Man

Ja. American Emmission standards. Of course the big ass trucks they haul the bikes around on spew out MUCH more bad smellies. 2 strokes are making a comeback tho. The companies that make them are getting the emmisions down to accepatable levels.

Why then spend money on a bike when you can get a driewiel at Toys R Us for much cheaper?. For me, it is about the bike too, in fact I love my bikes very much, they are my pride and joy, and all of them are 29ers, cause of the way they ride, 29ers give me more joy than a 26er. If I had to ride a Game Dunlop special in the mountain, I probably would not ride.

Sure if you're comparing a 29er to a hypermarket special then yes I'm sure it is better. But to honest, having ridden a Silverback Storm 1 this weekend (whilst it was a truly lovely bike), I dont see how much better it is that my Trek Top Fuel. I really think this whole 29er thing is such a marketing hype. The point raised above, about how 29er riders tell everyone they ride 29er, is exactly why I think so.