Abu Dhabi

Garfield2010

If you book now on Emerates its R6,600 per ticket from Joburg - Abu Dhabi (via Dubai) and back.

Then you can stay at the Hilton Hotel for 2 nights BB included for R1,500. This Hotel is next to transition.

So what remains is entry, your visa and pocket money.

Go read what the pros say about the race, they all seem to like it.

I did a race abroad earlier this year and the expenses rack up quickly. I think after a flight like that and going all the way you would (i Would) want to stay at least 4 nights, extra cost on the plane( not a prob with Emirates i know). Other food and expenses at expo's ect quickly add up. More like a R15k race

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just makes sense. 3km swim, 200km and 20km run is perfect

My dream triathlon cycle run ratio, specialy for us run challenged people...

Maybe just maybe....sounds like a good idea

I did the race this year and it was absolutely amaizing, I only did the shorter distance though (1,5 swim, 100bike and 10run. If u have the cash then go for it. I'm doing it again next year!!!! I stayed in the radison Blu on Yas island. Right across from the F1 circuit!! But next year I'll stay in the area of start and finish!! Total for 2 people, flights & accommodation came to 28k but that was for 9 days!!!

I'm doing Miami 70.3 in October and I'm gonna be there for a week and it's 19k just for me!!

Forgot to mention. Go to website and register ur interest in the race. They then send u an email that gives u 72 hours entry preference before they open for everyone else!! Also to be involved in a race where it is a star studded field like that makes the cost of the race worth it. It is like a world champs that attracts the best athletes due to prize money!!

Hi Garf

Have registered interest. This sounds like a great experience.

Did some investigation:

Entry fee is USD190. Entries not open yet.

Basically all flights from Joburg go to Dubai then a 2hr bus trip to AbuDhabi.

Flights all seem about R6600, checked with Emirates, Etihad and SAA.

My Discovery Vitality will give a R2k odd discount on the flight (WOW!)

Bus looks about R400 each way. Seems like bus every half hour but still got to find out about depart and arrival places. Bike on bus questions need to be answered.

Accommodation looks pricey. About R1500 per night (single)

Didn't get pricing from Hilton yet.

Just a dump of info found out to date. Thought I would share.

Please anyone add if you know more.

Thx I got pretty much the same figures. Expecting to pay around R13k per head excluding some exploring afterwards so I am working on R30k for my wife and me and a 7 day trip.

THe only thing I wanna clear out is the bike. Can we rent a bike there? its gonna suck traveling with a bicycle all the time........

Thx I got pretty much the same figures. Expecting to pay around R13k per head excluding some exploring afterwards so I am working on R30k for my wife and me and a 7 day trip.

THe only thing I wanna clear out is the bike. Can we rent a bike there? its gonna suck traveling with a bicycle all the time........

I thought you bought an international B12?? You cant resitrc that thing to SA! Hard Shell bike box and you are sorted! Dont even need to take th pedals off!

Perhaps if there are a few hubbers going one could leverage of the group and get a discounted group rate?

I thought you bought an international B12?? You cant resitrc that thing to SA! Hard Shell bike box and you are sorted! Dont even need to take th pedals off!

Perhaps if there are a few hubbers going one could leverage of the group and get a discounted group rate?

Haha true!

And I guess I can send it back the day after the race and pick it up on arrival. Seems like Swissvan wants to take it with for me.

I am buying the plane tickets next Friday

I flew straight to Abu dhabi! I got a quote for wide and me. Staying in the race hotel or Hilton close to start for 4 days & flights and it came to about 25k