39/26 vs 40/28. Should I feel a real difference?

kandui

You will enjoy them!

RE your chain question, no you don't need to shorten your chain.

Just fit EXACTLY as the manufacturers specify:

pics attached

You might have to lift your FD slightly.

Install so that there is around a 1mm gap between your FR and the HIGHEST point (curve) of the Q ring.

NOTE, your chain might "catch" (on and off) on the FD lower middle plate when pedaling in gears 9 and 10 on the smaller chainring.

This is due to the oval trajectory of the chain.

Happy hoopin

XX Chain fit instructions.pdf

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap, and I thought could attach the rings and get going.

Good thing I organised a cable and derailleur session for 6 of us with a great mechanic on Saturday morning.

Yes.

A 29er wheel moves forward 2280mm with every revolution.

If you turn the crank in your 39/26 gear once, your bike goes forward 3420mm

If yo turn the crank in your 40/28 gear once, your bike goes forward 3257mm.

Thus, the 39/26 gearing is 5% harder than the 40/28 setup. If you're a glass-half-full type of person you would put it differently: the 39/26 gearing is 5% faster.

nonsense, JB - the 40/28 vs 39/26 situation refers to the front chainrings tooth combinations, not the front teeth / back teeth combo.

turning a 40tooth chainring is definitely harder than turning a 39t chainring.

Crap, and I thought could attach the rings and get going.

Good thing I organised a cable and derailleur session for 6 of us with a great mechanic on Saturday morning.

It's really quick, but use your bike as a guinea-pig.

You will not need to adjust the rear deralleur, unless is was set up wrong from the start.

Just a small "lift" in the FR, that should be it.

Please report back on your feelings about the Q rings.

Something I have noticed:

Climbing and grinding the dead spot is smaller.

When powering on, on the flats, I find that a SLIGHT lower cadence brings better results.

That said, I am a spinner of around 95-100rpm's (I know because that is how I gauge my SS speeding).

Lower cadence & (slightly) less effort results in the same or slightly higher speed on the flats.

Thus, more efficient pedal-stroke.

Have fun

Tested the Q Rings properly on an 85km ride (1475m ascent) from Grabouw to Greyton yesterday. 40/27 Q Rings vs my 39/26 XX rings, I must say that I felt it in the legs.

Either the elliptical shape and the "new" pedalling dynamic or the 1 extra tooth, or both. We rode a solid 21km/h average and the route included th climb up to the Nek above Lebanon village and one 5km climb on a dirt road with a strong side/headwind.

Now the question begs: ditch and go back to round or persevere and get stronger?

nonsense, JB - the 40/28 vs 39/26 situation refers to the front chainrings tooth combinations, not the front teeth / back teeth combo.

turning a 40tooth chainring is definitely harder than turning a 39t chainring.

Nonsense? More like misunderstanding in where the gears are located. But thanks pointing it out so friendly.

Nonsense? More like misunderstanding in where the gears are located. But thanks pointing it out so friendly.

rofl... Sorry JB. Must have been pissed off about meetings missed without any notification, and no apology. I could have worded it less like a Bra Jules spin doctor!

rofl... Sorry JB. Must have been pissed off about meetings missed without any notification, and no apology. I could have worded it less like a Bra Jules spin doctor!

What? Apologies for crucifying someone on thehub? Whats next? Snow in Gauteng????

Johan made a rookie mistake and should be hung, drawn and quartered!!!!

I once called Cav an american (yup - brainfart of note) and the okes stopped just short of marching to my house with tar and feathers :-)

What? Apologies for crucifying someone on thehub? Whats next? Snow in Gauteng????

Johan made a rookie mistake and should be hung, drawn and quartered!!!!

I once called Cav an american (yup - brainfart of note) and the okes stopped just short of marching to my house with tar and feathers :-)

HAHA!!!

Yeah. There is an element of tar & feathery here, ain't there? But heck. He should have read the thread first. Maybe that's also what triggered the outburst.

Tested the Q Rings properly on an 85km ride (1475m ascent) from Grabouw to Greyton yesterday. 40/27 Q Rings vs my 39/26 XX rings, I must say that I felt it in the legs.

Either the elliptical shape and the "new" pedalling dynamic or the 1 extra tooth, or both. We rode a solid 21km/h average and the route included th climb up to the Nek above Lebanon village and one 5km climb on a dirt road with a strong side/headwind.

Now the question begs: ditch and go back to round or persevere and get stronger?

Hi Kandui

Sounds like the legs would take a pounding on that day, even with you on a motorcycle.

Keep em going on the Q's.

Remember the "stroke length" IS longer, and you will feel it when pushing like that.

I fell a "better workout" on the quads as well after a hard Qring ride.

Just stick it out, and in a week or so you will not look back.

Rotorbike recommends a 200km adaptation phase.

Check the attached document.

Happy Hoopin

Q-Ring_adaption_setupguide.pdf

Hi Kandui Sounds like the legs would take a pounding on that day, even with you on a motorcycle. Keep em going on the Q's. Remember the "stroke length" IS longer, and you will feel it when pushing like that. I fell a "better workout" on the quads as well after a hard Qring ride. Just stick it out, and in a week or so you will not look back. Rotorbike recommends a 200km adaptation phase. Check the attached document. Happy Hoopin

you are full of good advice.. interesting stuff.

@Mayhem, did you just diss JB? ...ouch!

Hi Kandui

Sounds like the legs would take a pounding on that day, even with you on a motorcycle.

Keep em going on the Q's.

Remember the "stroke length" IS longer, and you will feel it when pushing like that.

I fell a "better workout" on the quads as well after a hard Qring ride.

Just stick it out, and in a week or so you will not look back.

Rotorbike recommends a 200km adaptation phase.

Check the attached document.

Happy Hoopin

Thanks for the Q Ring guide. I guess I tried to ride as per usual and my legs took a beating. At some points I was flying up the hills, but taking a hammering later on in the ride. I have now done 85km of off-road riding and will do the last 120km at an easier pace.

Interesting to read the difference between road and mountain bike adaptation distances. 500km to 200km. So it is true. Every 1km on the dirt is equal to 2,5km on the road.

Interesting to read the difference between road and mountain bike adaptation distances. 500km to 200km. So it is true. Every 1km on the dirt is equal to 2,5km on the road.

Nah, we MTBers just adapt faster... :whistling: :P

I'll forgive you if you overlook my poor grammar.