Bela Bela 5150

Garfield2010

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...Very interessting comments.....

I Entered the event, but had to go on the Antibiotics on Wednesday....So I was the 'Photogropher for all my mates....

1. Goodie Bag was very Dissapointing(Actually Shocking)

2. How can you have Triathlon event where more than 75% of the people walk on the swim leg?????

The one guy even said that he was forced to swim because of the rocks hurting his feet because he walked like 900m

That is absolutely ridiculious...swim is a swim...very unfair if you swim and a coward walks faster right next to you..

3. transtion from swim to bike - transition to the Dismount - Why was this area not covered??????? The Poor Girl asks all the athletes "Please Carry your bikes" because there are thorns on the way....Four guys not making it out of the bike transition in the mere 15min I was standing complaining and very upset. However, the finishing straight has a great red cover for the last 100M.....very contradicting!!!

4. I took my camera and waited at the 20km turn for lap 2.

Only to find a very polite 15year old marshalling the turn...All of them were working for Free...(Hoerskool Warmbad Students)

There were al helluva lot of school children runnig the show on the bike leg....Working for free from 11 -17h00 in the blistering heat.

The poor lightie could not not keep up and manage...Only a very small sign showing LAP 2 or Finish.

So I make my way to the bike Dismount waiting...And here comes not 1 not 2 not 3 but 5 gentleman asking " Were do I turn for Lap 2??"

Now this area is at least 2km from the turnaround so ill give them 5km ekstra on the bike....3 of the 5 guys were heavilly upset. Other guy just whent straight into transition maybe breaking some records on his bike leg....

5 an final.....VIP tent next to the Finish.....Catering for all those buggers who took everyones money...All of them having a Great time.....

Instead the couldve provided proper shading for the Spectators....Got matts in and out of transition...And at least Set up a prober and clear sign to indicate the bike split at LAP 2 and Finish...Or even get a Grown-up to Marshall that important section??

Im am not speaking for myself, but for a group of 8 other athletes....And my close to 10 finishers asking them how they felt about the race.....

R800??????? I think they can get away with charging R250....

Someones Bank acount is very happy after Bella Bella 5150

Mmm... comments like this make me happy I gave it a skip

RANT ON:

Personally, I swam the whole swim, it was quicker than walking, I started in wave 3 and had no problems with traffic.

The event was well organised, had people giving direction at the turn around on the bike route and even swapped my bottles out for 5150 bottles at the water point (mine were empty, added to my goodie bag as well)

Water points across all routes were very well stocked with GU, ice cold water & coke.

My question is, why did those complaining about the goodie bag contents not check it out before entering. Frankly, I enter these things to challenge my athletic ability (although after Saturday I feel that I needn't have gone so far to mount that challenge), not so I can get nice little surprises in my entry bag. The shirts were good tho.

The traffic on the ride was not ideal, but it was manageable with little more than a bit of diligence from a rider's perspective. The swim (walk for some) was not any worse than any other open water swim I've done before. There is always going to be traffic in the water at these events. If you don't believe me, have a look at the Iron Man and 70.3 websites and see the mayhem that looks to be happening in the water at those swims. Saturday was a walk in the park compared to the Midmar Mile for sure.

I personally hope that the wingers stay behind next year, unless you're racing for money etc., what are you there for? Go and have fun, in spite of the little niggles that will inevitably occur in every race or event if you look hard enough.

My only complaint was that after prize giving, I was hoping to get hooligan at the party and me and my mate were the only two guys left in the public bar sending a few cold ones home. Even the VIP's called it quits in favor of the Bulls giving the Sharks a hiding. So no party for us :-(

This was only the second Bela Bela 5150 EVER (afaik), frankly they did a sterling job and I'll spend the money again next year irrespective of what's in my goodie bag and the way they manage traffic or dredge the dam to stop the lazy ones from walking. I'm sure I couldn't have walked that in 22mins which is what my swim took.

Why is it that not many come on to applaud the good side of these events, but we get all the whingers coming out of the woodwork to complain about what a crap time they had?

+1 Bela Bela 5150 Team

RANT OFF

Hey Jiggy

Thanks for calling me a whinger. Wasn't quite sure why I was feeling like this, you hit the nail on the head. For a moment I forgot I wasn't allowed an opinion of how much or little I enjoyed my day. Thanks for setting me straight.

Silly me! :o

RANT ON:

Personally, I swam the whole swim, it was quicker than walking, I started in wave 3 and had no problems with traffic.

The event was well organised, had people giving direction at the turn around on the bike route and even swapped my bottles out for 5150 bottles at the water point (mine were empty, added to my goodie bag as well)

Water points across all routes were very well stocked with GU, ice cold water & coke.

My question is, why did those complaining about the goodie bag contents not check it out before entering. Frankly, I enter these things to challenge my athletic ability (although after Saturday I feel that I needn't have gone so far to mount that challenge), not so I can get nice little surprises in my entry bag. The shirts were good tho.

The traffic on the ride was not ideal, but it was manageable with little more than a bit of diligence from a rider's perspective. The swim (walk for some) was not any worse than any other open water swim I've done before. There is always going to be traffic in the water at these events. If you don't believe me, have a look at the Iron Man and 70.3 websites and see the mayhem that looks to be happening in the water at those swims. Saturday was a walk in the park compared to the Midmar Mile for sure.

I personally hope that the wingers stay behind next year, unless you're racing for money etc., what are you there for? Go and have fun, in spite of the little niggles that will inevitably occur in every race or event if you look hard enough.

My only complaint was that after prize giving, I was hoping to get hooligan at the party and me and my mate were the only two guys left in the public bar sending a few cold ones home. Even the VIP's called it quits in favor of the Bulls giving the Sharks a hiding. So no party for us :-(

This was only the second Bela Bela 5150 EVER (afaik), frankly they did a sterling job and I'll spend the money again next year irrespective of what's in my goodie bag and the way they manage traffic or dredge the dam to stop the lazy ones from walking. I'm sure I couldn't have walked that in 22mins which is what my swim took.

Why is it that not many come on to applaud the good side of these events, but we get all the whingers coming out of the woodwork to complain about what a crap time they had?

+1 Bela Bela 5150 Team

RANT OFF

Clearly you make more than enough money not to complain......

RANT ON....

RANT ON:

+1 Bela Bela 5150 Team

RANT OFF

Well said!

My only reason for mentioning "niggles" here is to help organizers with feedback, and I know a lot of them read what is said on THIS forum.

Not sure about 5150 okes, but other organisers definitely do.

All in all a great event like I said a few times now!

Great race, well organised like other IM events I have been to.

Swim - ja - was a bit messy, but go the deeper sections to actually swim and its fine. T shirt always a bonus!

If it can start a little earlier for the heat, they can have my R800 next year again

Clearly you make more than enough money not to complain......

RANT ON....

Hey Jiggy

Thanks for calling me a whinger. Wasn't quite sure why I was feeling like this, you hit the nail on the head. For a moment I forgot I wasn't allowed an opinion of how much or little I enjoyed my day. Thanks for setting me straight.

Silly me! :o

I didn't enjoy the day, not because my goodie bag was empty, but because it was hot and I was under prepared. Makes me want to work harder and do better next year. As for affordability, I do not even own a road bike due to affordability (I borrowed one).

I need to choose very carefully what I race in because I cannot afford to enter races I do not intend to ride in.

I have a total racing budget per anum of around R2,500. 25% taken by this race alone, never mind accommodation etc.!!!

You are all welcome to your opinions, as am I, this is why I chose to voice mine, as apparently did you.

PS. My apologies for the "whinger" remarks and any other personal "name calling". It came out a little harsher than it was meant, so please accept my offer to eat as much humble pie as you collectively see fit

Edited by Jigghead

Had a great race. Just had to swim in the middle of the line so I could actually do what I went for. Had a blast. Good weekend away....

Only sour point was that I wasn't too chuffed with the hot water bottles on the bike after the towel that was covering them in transition got blown off but got over that pretty quickly

Kombi towing the jurgens in the middle was "fun" at 70+

Great race again!! The vibe and support were just awesome. I would also prefer an earlier start (perhaps 10am for the elites), not necessarily for the heat (this year was just very hot on the day - unusually hot for August), but to allow more time to make use of the swimming facilities after the race with the family and to ensure the waterbottles remain fairly cold.

Areas I think the race can improve on:

- Areas out of transition should really be covered if there are thorns - I always exit barefoot and had to change my routine to cater for the thorns.

- The swim start (I was in wave 3) just got a bit too crowded this year. I tried to swim but had to stop a few times as many were walking (maybe I should improve my swimming to ensure I get out in front of the walkers). Perhaps smaller groups starting every 10 min with an exit and back in the water with a timing mat for control could take care of that.

Hey Guys

Well done to all of you who took part.

Sounds like a mixed bag of feedback from what I can read. Good to hear all your feedback as it helps us improve on what can be done better for our events. I am sure Werner and his 5150 crew will take note of your feedback for 2013.

Good luck for your training for the Midlands ULTRA triathlon, only 6 weeks to go. See you there.

How much of the Midlands Ultra swim course in walkable? (just having a bit of fun)

Anyone got a profile of the bike course? (serious question)

Thinking about entering, need to redeem my honour after 5150.

Haha Dave.

I think most okes suffered cause they are used to training in the cradle at 8 degrees temps and all of a sudden wham bang 34 degrees in dry heat.

I guess I was lucky in the fact that I did a 38km trail run last Sat in the Magalies berg. Yes it did take me 5h35 and yes I did pass out 3 times due to heatstroke but it did make me immune against heat the following weekend at Bela.

HTFU man!!! come on!!!! Abu Dhabi is in the middle of..... yes you guessed it the DESERT!!!