Momsen SL729 R-Type

Mrs Balls

I had one, great mix of components and a nice bike, geometry is great and the frame looks bloody awesome. But I cracked my frame, and according to one of Momsen dealers mine was not the first, so I would not get another one. For less money than a new Momsen frame You can get a Yeti Big Top, or for R500 more you can get a Santa Cruz Tall Boy no comparison, the cost of their frames is a total and utter rip-off for a "off the shelf" frame, search for "Momsen" on the hub and you will get all the info you need. I'm happy to chat to you about the frame, PM me and I will send my number.

I had one, great mix of components and a nice bike, geometry is great and the frame looks bloody awesome. But I cracked my frame, and according to one of Momsen dealers mine was not the first, so I would not get another one. For less money than a new Momsen frame You can get a Yeti Big Top, or for R500 more you can get a Santa Cruz Tall Boy no comparison, the cost of their frames is a total and utter rip-off for a "off the shelf" frame, search for "Momsen" on the hub and you will get all the info you need. I'm happy to chat to you about the frame, PM me and I will send my number.

tell us those prices again....sounds wrong

Hi Hubbers

Any opinions on this bike? Frame quality etc.?? ride? price? Please let me know...

tell us those prices again....sounds wrong

Sorry, not a Tall Boy, meant Highball.

Momsen R13k

Yeti 11k

Highball 14k

Edited by Mackie

Great bike,great bike greate bike ,riding it hard,hittinng the jumps -powerfull and light,you silly i you douny buy thisbike.

Thanks for the reply, just out of curiosity, where did your frame crack? do you have any photo's of the damage? and how was the after sales service from them? sorry for the bombardment of questions but i might invest in one and i need to get my ducks in a row before i spend any money...

I have the standard SL729. A month back I noticed a small crack on the top tube, just infront of the seatpost. I took it the bike shop and within 7 days, Momsen replaced the frame.

I really enjoy this bike, I ride is hard and it climbs like a bomb...

The R type has got some awesome specs on top of the standard parts you get, so I can definitely recommend this bike.

I have the standard SL729. A month back I noticed a small crack on the top tube, just infront of the seatpost. I took it the bike shop and within 7 days, Momsen replaced the frame.

I really enjoy this bike, I ride is hard and it climbs like a bomb...

The R type has got some awesome specs on top of the standard parts you get, so I can definitely recommend this bike.

That's exactly where mine cracked. I had the carbon frame though. The after sales service was ok, I bought my bike second hand so no warranty. But that's another failed frame, therein lies your answer.

Thanks for the reply, just out of curiosity, where did your frame crack? do you have any photo's of the damage? and how was the after sales service from them? sorry for the bombardment of questions but i might invest in one and i need to get my ducks in a row before i spend any money...

Yes to all the above, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you pics along with the correspondence from the distributors, Victor Momsen himself.

I have the Sl729 for 9 months .I ride it often and hard .love the spec and geometry .Mine has the X9 shitty rear hub that will be replaced shortly .I have the large and i weigh 96kg .No problem with frame so far .If you buy the R model from a dealer with warrenty, you will have a great bike and no trouble with warrenties

• 1 year later...

Probably unrelated, but I had an entry level AL129 and the rear wheel bearings popped out on an outride. Warranty repaired it after a few days and threw in a free X0 to replace the X5. Use it. Don't use it.

I have been riding mine for just over 1 year now. What a bike!! I really enjoy the bike. Handling is good, light bike and the components are tough. I enjoy mine a lot!!