First bike purchase

jahmon

Hi,

I don't think i've climbed on a bike since I was 16 (i'm now 26).

I'd like to purchase a starting bike. Budget is around R3000-R4000. I've been told that Hydraulic disc brakes are a MUST. Thus i'm only considering options with discs.

So far i've looked at the Silverback Stride 10 as my best starting option:

http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011_website_SILVERBACK/stride10.htm

Price +- R4200 - R4400 (from phoning around in CPT)

---

However i've seen that Makro has a Raleigh Hydra 29'er (yes I know the Silverback is a 26) for R3999 - it doesn't look to be a bad bike to my untrained eyes (please comment - if you can compare the Raleigh and the Silverback).

http://www.raleigh.my/bikes/hydra.html

Price R3 999 - on special at Makro.

Please let me know what you would pick, if the Raleigh and Silverback in question are decent starter bikes and what my options are? Any advice would be appreciated - theres not much Google info on the Raleigh in question.

Thanks,

J

Buy a secondhand one from the classifieds

I don't know enough of what to look for e.g with regards to wear and tear and damage - so thats not really an option as I could buy a complete piece of crap...

It depends on your intended application.

As cav says, second hand, better bike is the way to go.

The Makro bike looks decent, I had a look in the shop the other day out of interest, but the shock is really entry level and is only a 21 speed if memory serves.

So if you do start riding with some mates and start putting the hammer down, you going to run out of gears.

It's a 27 speed. See the link:

http://www.raleigh.my/bikes/hydra.html

It depends on your intended application.

As cav says, second hand, better bike is the way to go.

The Makro bike looks decent, I had a look in the shop the other day out of interest, but the shock is really entry level and is only a 21 speed if memory serves.

So if you do start riding with some mates and start putting the hammer down, you going to run out of gears.

Have you set a budget for equipment? Helmut, gloves, and possibly some cycling shorts. You should be in for about 1K for those 3 items alone.

I know no such person... :(

I'm sure if you ask, some kind hubber in CT will help you out if you decide 2nd hand which for the amount you looking at you should be able to pick up a decent 26" specced bike

Looking at the Raleigh, it's not too bad, not near a race machine and parts are entry level but should do the job they intended for. Put another way you could do worse.

Edited by scotty

I had a look at that Raleigh at Makro about 2 weeks ago and was really surprised. Sure, it is entry level, but R3 999 is a damn good price for that bike. There is nothing wrong with the forks or parts. If I remember, the parts were a mixture of Acera and Alivio which will do everything you need them to, the brakes were hydraulic and the fork was a Suntour XCM which is pretty capable.

The only problem is the fact that Makro is selling it. You are going to get zero after sales service, the bike was probably assembled by a guy that knows nothing about bicycles and something could fall off, crack or something else and your chances of having it set up properly for your body type are almost zero.

It might be work the extra money to go to a bike shop where you know you will walk out with the right product for you.

My bad if it's a 27 speed.

Then at the price imo it is not that bad, especially as a frst bike if you want to buy new.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a very good second-hand dealer: Avron at Cycle Traders near the Old Biscuit Mill (opposite side of the road; look for the Auto Traders sign - he's in the same building that used to be a filling station). I've bought two bikes - road and MTB - from him, both at good prices. Do NOT go to Neil's Wheels in Plumstead.

There's a very good second-hand dealer: Avron at Cycle Traders near the Old Biscuit Mill (opposite side of the road; look for the Auto Traders sign - he's in the same building that used to be a filling station). I've bought two bikes - road and MTB - from him, both at good prices. Do NOT go to Neil's Wheels in Plumstead.

Le Turbo is right... go see them, and rather get a better second hand bike. The difference between a R4000 new bike and getting a second hand bike that would normally be R8000 is quite a lot. And some of the "wholesale" bikes are actually quite dangerous... I've heard of more than one that has disintegrated after some rough treatment... If you can get a second had Merida MATTS or something like that, you will not be unhappy...

And get the right size!! :)

I've got a stride 10 - good starter bike imho. Unless you know what you doing, you could buy a dud second hand bike. With the stride 10, it'll give you a chance to see whether you're into mtb. It's not amazing but it's a good starter.