MTB Events/Races - Etiquette?

martinsnyman

Call me old school but I'm a fair is fair and right is right kinda guy. In a staight fight it's gloves firmly on but when the field is expected to fit through a narrow gate then the right thing to do is go through the gate in the order that you got to the gate. If people start going round the queue then it becomes a scrum/free for all at the gate. If you choose to take the gloves off then expect a dirty fight.

If someone overtakes me in the rough stuff (on the designated course!) then good for them - I normally keep left and if stronger riders can go past then I'll happily make it easier for them.

I agree with you about the gate, easy to see the race order if its a 1 at a time squeeze, and bad behaviour there will get a reaction.

If its a 'ride over a small obstacle problem' (like what happens in 94.7 MTB for example) and there is space to get off the boardwalk and bundu bash at your own risk without pushing others out of the way, then good luck to that person.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a difference between someone bottling it and you running around them compared to an actual bottleneck. I have no problem running past someone who can't do an obstacle, but if there is a line of people waiting, then you have to unfortunately wait in the line.

Li Mu you clearly miss the point so no point in trying to explain the concept of etiquette to you, just don't whine when someone does give you a klap for cheating.

No-one wants to be in the bottleneck and as much as you go on about the race organiser there is not exactly much one can do at that moment in time but wait their turn. You honestly should consider a career in the taxi industry cos clearly they don't think they are doing anything wrong either ie it's the muncipality's fault that there are not enough lanes and its not the taxi drivers fault that all the other cars are waiting their turn instead of driving on verges, oncoming traffic etc.

Absurd argument on your part - but hey, maybe that's just me.

Agreed Eldron - beat a guy on the bike - not off!

Much respect to you if you can ride harder than I can - you deserve right of way and I will give it every time - but dont try to cheat me a like a 2 song lap dance! That **** aint right!

Agreed Eldron - beat a guy on the bike - not off!

Much respect to you if you can ride harder than I can - you deserve right of way and I will give it every time - but dont try to cheat me a like a 2 song lap dance! That **** aint right!

I will never forget at Spring Classic last year, she had a dude who felt it was his honor to squeeze past all of us at the little muddy patch within the first 3 k's.

I even saw him racing off like a demon up the first incline, but he only managed this for another 500 meters.

Some people just overrate their own ability, that's all .

My 2nd Sani2c some guy tried to believe he was going to win it in the first 2km and even bumped my partner while trying to race through everyone (she almost fell). Best part was when he crashed on his own when he ran out of talent. race distance about 2km ha ha. It was one of the first times I have never heard a bunch of cyclist asking if someone was ok after a fall. They were all laughing and riding past.....

Before you race think about how talented you are then half it, that way you may get the correct picture :thumbup: Riding is supposed to be competative yes but also a lot of fun

I will never forget at Spring Classic last year, she had a dude who felt it was his honor to squeeze past all of us at the little muddy patch within the first 3 k's.

I even saw him racing off like a demon up the first incline, but he only managed this for another 500 meters.

Some people just overrate their own ability, that's all .

I think it's more a case of even if you could motor up the hill and away from everyone else, you wait your turn and prove it to everyone when it's your turn.

I think it's more a case of even if you could motor up the hill and away from everyone else, you wait your turn and prove it to everyone when it's your turn.

I agree Joe.

Me, I just trap, I wait for people where I can, there is no rush.

Li Mu you clearly miss the point so no point in trying to explain the concept of etiquette to you, just don't whine when someone does give you a klap for cheating.

No-one wants to be in the bottleneck and as much as you go on about the race organiser there is not exactly much one can do at that moment in time but wait their turn. You honestly should consider a career in the taxi industry cos clearly they don't think they are doing anything wrong either ie it's the muncipality's fault that there are not enough lanes and its not the taxi drivers fault that all the other cars are waiting their turn instead of driving on verges, oncoming traffic etc.

Absurd argument on your part - but hey, maybe that's just me.

I play taxi to my kids, does that count? :)

So how about the flip side.

What about the guys starting,for example A batch, but they're not racing... They drift off the back of the pack and ride side by side on the jeep track having a lekke dik chat, leaving little to no space for guys from B or C, that want to get on with it, to get past.

That frustrates me to no end.

Another thing I noticed... those chumps listening to music on their ipods while in the race. I watched this racing snake trying to pass this guy who was oblivious that he was trying to be passed because he was listening to music.

My way of doing things:

• Keep left pass right

• If I must pass somebody I’ll Say: “Keep your line I’ll pass you where I can”( even if I have to go off the track)

• Stay out of the way of faster people

Ask politely if you can pass - I have never had anyone not give way when asked.

Dont just squeeze past - let the guys know you are coming and ASK politely!

Works every time!

Simple as that, a nice gesture and often just a "may I pass at your convenience" has never earned me a PK.

I do get annoyed when they can move over for me to pass and just hog the track because they "also paid to be there"

OK

here goes:

- Seed yourself with riders of similar ability and fitness. If you did the Epic 3 years ago and have not done a ride since, do us all a favour and start at the back.

- Communicate. Tell the riders infront of you that you will be passing at the next opportunity, you are getting off the bike on that 25% incline that you simply can't manage, you are stopping to wait for your mate, etc. Humans do not have an overdeveloped sense of smell and we cannot smell these things.

- Be considerate. If you are barely holding onto your bike and the guy behind you is chatting to his mate and drinking from his bottle at the same time, you are holding him and his mate up. Ask if they would like to pass at the next opportunity.

- Stay on the racing line as much as possible or stop to let riders past. The faster guys will pass off the racing line. You going off the line will result in you coming off and holding up everyone around you while the heli-evac comes.

- Use common sense. You know how this works.