"The Customer Experience"

Titanium

Hi

The Customer Experience: - I'd like to reach out to the cycling community and call on as many of you as possible to define your understaning of an unforgettable customer experience.

Cycling is a fantastic sport (MTB & Road) and best of all you can include the whole family. The sport is growing at a phenominal rate and bikes, spares and clothing don't come cheap. I often read about poor customer service but at the same time there are cycle shops who deliver great service.

When parting with your hard earned cash - what are your expectations? What in your mind does it mean to go the extra mile to win the business?

Thanks

I think "Customer Experience" is different to everyone, in all areas of the economic chain, not just cycling, some folk are more forgiving than others, some will support friends even if they feel a bit hard done by because, well, they are friends, and some dont care about service as long as the price suits their pocket.

For me, well I dont frequent cycle shops much, but in general I dont need to be made to feel special, actually it puts me off, I certainly dont need to have someone dressed in a collar and tie with a little badge that says "Hi my name is Joe" genuflect in front of me and call me "Mr" or "Sir", I dont want to be their next best buddy and have them run over and offer me a coffee, and I dont want to stand around the shop and shoot the bull with the owner, I dont care how they are dressed, and I dont want their coffee, all I want is someone to attend to my requests quickly and efficiently, ring up my purchase with a smile and send me on my way with my bag with the minimum of fuss and no drama.

Not difficult, but surprising how many get it wrong.

.........but yeah, thats just me, no doubt you will hear a lot of other suggestions. :)

I support a few bike shops, but there is one that stands out for me in terms of customer excellence, JOC.

Reason being,

1. They address me by my name when I come in.

2. They share sound / quality experience.

3. They follow up on enquiries, and calle back as promised

I think "Customer Experience" is different to everyone, in all areas of the economic chain, not just cycling, some folk are more forgiving than others, some will support friends even if they feel a bit hard done by because, well, they are friends, and some dont care about service as long as the price suits their pocket.

For me, well I dont frequent cycle shops much, but in general I dont need to be made to feel special, actually it puts me off, I certainly dont need to have someone dressed in a collar and tie with a little badge that says "Hi my name is Joe" genuflect in front of me and call me "Mr" or "Sir", I dont want to be their next best buddy and have them run over and offer me a coffee, and I dont want to stand around the shop and shoot the bull with the owner, I dont care how they are dressed, and I dont want their coffee, all I want is someone to attend to my requests quickly and efficiently, ring up my purchase with a smile and send me on my way with my bag with the minimum of fuss and no drama.

Not difficult, but surprising how many get it wrong.

.........but yeah, thats just me, no doubt you will hear a lot of other suggestions. :)

Brilliant - I appreciate the open and honest feedback.

I support a few bike shops, but there is one that stands out for me in terms of customer excellence, JOC.

Reason being,

1. They address me by my name when I come in.

2. They share sound / quality experience.

3. They follow up on enquiries, and calle back as promised

Thank you for the feedback.

Question - if purchasing via a website, what would your expectations be?

Simple:

Greet me when I walk in.

Don't try sell me the entire shop, if I'm not sure I'll ask

Don't try rip me off if I'm not sure of a market related price

Give me what I paid for -product or service

If you make a commitment, stick to it.

If you throw in something for free/additional, great but not expected.

Experienced all in the negative form, so learning to fix my own bike and will try do as much shopping online as possible.

Hi,

I agree with Grumpy. I don't like a big fuss etc either. I enjoy a well stocked shop with plenty to look at and must be priced and not just a code.

Thanks

Sarge

Answering the phone in a good courteous way.

On arrival to say "just call us if you need help..." with a warm smile and a cappucino.

Giving product feedback promptly after calling the supplier.

Simple:

Greet me when I walk in.

Don't try sell me the entire shop, if I'm not sure I'll ask

Don't try rip me off if I'm not sure of a market related price

Give me what I paid for -product or service

If you make a commitment, stick to it.

If you throw in something for free/additional, great but not expected.

Experienced all in the negative form, so learning to fix my own bike and will try do as much shopping online as possible.

Great - thanks for the feedback. Amongst your cycling friends, would you say the trend is more to shop on line?

Here is some advice for all the LBS's out there.

Please, when you sell a newcomer to the sport a fancy ass bike please take the time to explain to them how their shocks work. Rode with a guy this weekend who had just bought a new bike and apparently the shop had not bothered to take the time to explain how everything works on his bike ( from shifters to shocks) as they were 'busy on the phone' the whole time and said if he has any problems he must just 'come back' , a 60km round trip....

They also let the guy go without at least trying to install some tyre liners and better tubes (punctures deluxe on his first ride). Its a mountain bike! Come on guys, its all sales for you and now you have a miff customer as well as a miff friend of the customer! Instead of just pouncing for a rich sale then scuttling away, take some time with your new customers.

Edited by Mojoman

Here is some advice for all the LBS's out there.

Please, when you sell a newcomer to the sport a fancy ass bike please take the time to explain to them how their shocks work. Rode with a guy this weekend who had just bought a new bike and apparently the shop had not bothered to take the time to explain how everything works on his bike ( from shifters to shocks) as they were 'busy on the phone' the whole time and said if he has any problems he must just 'come back' , a 60km round trip....

They also let the guy go without at least trying to install some tyre liners and better tubes (punctures deluxe on his first ride). Its a mountain bike! Come on guys, its all sales for you and now you have a miff customer as well as a miff friend of the customer! Instead of just pouncing for a rich sale then scuttling away, take some time with your new customers.

Thanks Mojoman - in my experience this seems to be the trend for newcomers to the sport. Very disappointing indeed as I'm passionate about cycling and always encouraging people to try it out.

Thanks Mojoman - in my experience this seems to be the trend for newcomers to the sport. Very disappointing indeed as I'm passionate about cycling and always encouraging people to try it out.

Thanks for reading, I am not a fan of the LBS where he bought his bike as to me its the kind of shop where they dont have much time for a 'Deore' customer like me!

Great - thanks for the feedback. Amongst your cycling friends, would you say the trend is more to shop on line?

Its a 50 50. Some are not as pedantic as me.

If only I could find an lbs who is as willing to do a proper job on my bike as they to take my money!

Thanks for reading, I am not a fan of the LBS where he bought his bike as to me its the kind of shop where they dont have much time for a 'Deore' customer like me!

Is that the same lbs that buggered up your nipple? (If I am correct)

If you sell a bike get the customers detail and do a follow up with them after about a week, small thing but its shows you were interested in him as a customer and not merely making a sale.

Show the customer the basics and yes, even how to keep the bike clean which includes the do's and don'ts of what cleaning material to use and on which parts.

Repairs and maintenance, every bike shop at some time will stuff up, it's how they go about rectifying it that makes the difference.

If you promise the customer a call then make the call, even if it's to tell them that the item you ordered and promised would be there by a certain date has not yet arrived, saves them the cost of a trip.

Is that the same lbs that buggered up your nipple? (If I am correct)

Suprisingly no, (I never went back to that one, and never will!), this is a pretty popular shop.