Regular headaches after training

Mets

Thanks for the info. I make a point of drinking, but doubt if I reach the 750ml / hour mark. So I'll take on more fluids and will just have to man up and train through the rest until I don't get them anymore.

Someone posted below that their headaches stopped after switching to 32GI. I used to use Hammer Products, I used to get really bad headaches after long rides and races. Earlier this year I switched 32GI and no more headaches. I thought that it was because it was winter and I was not loosing as much fluids. But if somebody had the same experience then maybe it is what you are using on the bike. My reason for switching products had nothing to do with headaches it was purely because 32GI guarantee their products to be completely free of animal products.

Thanks for the info. I make a point of drinking, but doubt if I reach the 750ml / hour mark. So I'll take on more fluids and will just have to man up and train through the rest until I don't get them anymore.

If you have a garmin, then its quite easy. Use the time alerts to give you a reminder to take a swig every 15mins or so.

Guest TheBushpig

My nutrition and hydration are good during and after a ride.

I used to get them and they went away after riding for a while,

stopped ridding for a year and now that im getting back on im getting them again.

Think i need to ride smoother lines

Noticed the same thing with myself. Mine subsided and eventually disappeared when my fitness level came back up to where it should be. Although I cannot back this up with hard scientific facts, I believe that the headaches are caused by the massive detox that the body undertakes when you start getting your heart rate up again. It must flush all kinds of accumulated crap out of the muscles(and body in general). I cured mine by drinking huge quantities of water before and after a ride and doing a 20min session in a sauna straight after the ride. Keep drinking whilst in the sauna too. This helps reduce muscle stiffness as well. My 2c.

Edited by TheBushpig

P.s my sunnies were also putting to much pressure on the side of my pip. After getting ones that flexed a bit it also helped.

Get yourself checked out. Could be fatigue related. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. also, plan your training properly, by building up your fitness over a period of time and not jumping into really hard sessions for which you are not adequately conditioned for. puts a lot of strain on your system.

edit: as said above, dehydration could also be a factor. you should be taking in at least 750ml per hour, (more if its really hot)

I often suffered 'silent' migranes in the past where my left eye would black out totally for 10-20 mins and then slowly recover. This was especially whilst a student and doing long projects late at night, days on end. Nowadays, enough sleep = problem solved, (after scans and med checks revealed nothing wrong.)

750ml per hour I would go to the loo every 30min.Think it's rider specific.I know guys that train on 1liter of water in 4hours.

32 Gi recommends 750ml in 2 hours I think?

I too experienced severe headaches after strenuous training session so (pardon the pun) I feel your pain. Most comments here are right on the money but also consider your blood pressure. I found once I started to relax after a ride my blood pressure would drop as low as 145 over 52. Although I have become more tolerant to low blood pressure as I got fitter hydration and replacing lost salts played a big part. Every rider is different so first have yourself checked out and then start experimenting with a few of the suggestions made in this thread. Good luck!

Do you take a recovery drink after your training session, I find this helps a lot- something like Recoverite from Hammer.

Then an obvious one- IS YOUR HELMET NOT TOO TIGHT?

The pain is generally behind the eyes (mostly left one) - I sometimes have sinus headaches that progress to full migranes with the exact same symptoms. It's just strange that cycling can trigger this. I now have a couple of things to try:

1. Drink more water
  2. Get rid of the buff (been riding with one through Winter and Summer)

I bought a new helmet & sunnies (Rudy Project), but the pain was there before and after this.

Agree with Wil6. Hydration is very specific, and I think dehydration is blamed for way too many things...

General rule - drink to thirst.

Guesswork on the pain:

1) neck muscle overworked and too weak for cycling extended periods (especially cause your not used to carry the weight of your helmet). As you get train more and get fitter, neck muscles also get stronger and pain subsides. Lay off for a while, and you start again.

2) buff/helmet pressure

3) sunglass pressure

(as mentioned by most posts)

Check if any of your supplements contain Glutamine - one of the side effects can be headaches.

I suffered badly with that. Cut it out and all ok. Have now gradually re-added separately in small doses and can take up to 5Mg without headaches.

• 4 weeks later...

drink 1 liter vloeistof voor jy ry kyk of dit beter raak.......

ja dit mag dalk werk want jy gaan die hele tyd piepie en nie trap nie