Cape Town Riders. Submit your TMNP MTB trails. Legal or illegal.

kandui

looks like you got 2 jobs done so far:

1) you commercialized riding on table mountain, as your "rules of the trail" state that we will (now) have to be in possession of a permit - Thanks for that! and

2) you made it perfectly clear to everybody that riding any other trail than indicated on your map is illegal and you therefore gave every opposing dog walker more ammunition against us.

well done!

dude, don't be so short sighted!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look guys, I'm only quoting the "rules of the trail" as stated on Rob's map of the table mountain trails, well jeep tracks...

"- permits must be kept available at all times whilst utilising the trails" and

"- bikers will only be allowed on existing trails as indicated on the map and will not be allowed to utilise ..... any other area" unfortunately the map does not indicate a whole lot of trails...

So, while I do have an activity card in any case I know a lot of people who don't. And I am not sure if this is the case for the dog-walkers on the mountain, who, I assume, also need a level 1 permit now? Do I understand these rules correctly or am I just being ignorant?

I just wanted to make sure that all you guys understand these rules you have signed up for - including Rob, who I see breaking them every time I meet him on the nice single track section that has been kept a secret on this map and therefore would not be a legal trail to ride?

While I myself don't give too much of a crap about these rules to be honest, it looks to me like somebody shot himself in the foot here - quite badly in fact!

I have ridden the TM trails for a long time until about 2 years ago. I was attacked by a dog the park officials didnt want to do anything about it. The owners couldnt care less. This is when I found out that you need to have a permit to walk your dog there, and that they should be leashed i havent ridden there since and dont miss it either. How many people actually do this i dont know and it is not policed either. How are mtb permits gonne be policed? For so many years one was allowed to ride there without hassle and for free, now probably every biker is gonna be stopped for a permit!! Nowadays you have to pay for everything, you cant go ahead and roam about for free!!

Edited by Riyadh

Look guys, I'm only quoting the "rules of the trail" as stated on Rob's map of the table mountain trails, well jeep tracks...

"- permits must be kept available at all times whilst utilising the trails" and

"- bikers will only be allowed on existing trails as indicated on the map and will not be allowed to utilise ..... any other area" unfortunately the map does not indicate a whole lot of trails...

So, while I do have an activity card in any case I know a lot of people who don't. And I am not sure if this is the case for the dog-walkers on the mountain, who, I assume, also need a level 1 permit now? Do I understand these rules correctly or am I just being ignorant?

I just wanted to make sure that all you guys understand these rules you have signed up for - including Rob, who I see breaking them every time I meet him on the nice single track section that has been kept a secret on this map and therefore would not be a legal trail to ride?

While I myself don't give too much of a crap about these rules to be honest, it looks to me like somebody shot himself in the foot here - quite badly in fact!

You all know that riding on the mountain requires a permit. Really tiresome to keep hearing the same old excuses.

I read in a book about a very similar incident where a guy was killed by the people he was sent to save.. They werre also severly limited by "the way things were" and could not envision the future or believe for a moment that it could be true. Fear of change?

MP rider, like it or not, Rob is helping. If it was not under his stewardship, then it would have been tasked to someone else. I cannot think of anyone who can do better, so I suggest you sit down and give this thought of yours a bit more consideration. Rob's intervention comes at a time when it was most needed. I have been on the receiving end of how mountain bikers behave for too long and I can promise you that if it was not for what TMB is doing, you would have been outlawed in the north completely.

Riyadh, I did not expect that from you.. Really?

My apologies. I suppose it is all in the name of progression! I for one appreciate what is being done! Things are destined to change they will never stay the way they used to be. As far as Table mountain officials are concerned in the years that I used to ride there, not one has stopped me to ask for a permit! Had a chat with a few of them, but nothing about permits being needed.

You all know that riding on the mountain requires a permit. Really tiresome to keep hearing the same old excuses.

I read in a book about a very similar incident where a guy was killed by the people he was sent to save.. They werre also severly limited by "the way things were" and could not envision the future or believe for a moment that it could be true. Fear of change?

MP rider, like it or not, Rob is helping. If it was not under his stewardship, then it would have been tasked to someone else. I cannot think of anyone who can do better, so I suggest you sit down and give this thought of yours a bit more consideration. Rob's intervention comes at a time when it was most needed. I have been on the receiving end of how mountain bikers behave for too long and I can promise you that if it was not for what TMB is doing, you would have been outlawed in the north completely.

Riyadh, I did not expect that from you.. Really?

serious?!? really??? are you guys self-proclaimed messiah-bikers now, or what?

Anything else you would like to say or can we agree that managing mountain biking is in good hands?

Judging from your results martin you most certainly are not , judging from your attitude towards people trying to do good for the sport are you even a cyclist?

Guest Omega Man

Anything else you would like to say or can we agree that managing mountain biking is in good hands?

Don't you just love people like this? That lovely sense of entitlement? That assumption of ownership? That freely complaining about others efforts to make the environment better for them?

Only time will tell, Betty.

Oh, those armchair critics?

Don't you just love people like this? That lovely sense of entitlement? That assumption of ownership? That freely complaining about others efforts to make the environment better for them?

Only time will tell, Betty.

I gather from posts on other threads you have no problem riding trails designated for other usergroups?

Guest Omega Man

Oh, those armchair critics?

I'm a critic but I'm not in an armchair. I'm in a mobility scooter so i'm fine. hehehe. Note the post count on that other fella. If it's Nishiki I'll buy you a beer. If it's not I'll buy 2. Win win.

Guest Omega Man

Is this oke related to Nishiki?

Ja. Siamese twins. they share a brain (small) but they have their own mouths. HUGE! Personally I'm hoping that it's the same person. There can't be that many erseholes of that magnitude in Cape Town. Can there??

Edited by Omega Man