Is this normal?

Sepia

I recently had the occasion to take a wheel in for inspection because it did not seem true. I was told it had loose spokes and they needed to be tightened. Fair enough although this was a week after a full service. I did not ride the bike due to the wet weather but when I did, I could feel and see the wobble. Took it back and they fixed it so I paid and left. Still wobbled so I took it to another dealer. Exactly the same thing, paid and left. This wheel has cost me R700 in repairs and it is exactly the same as it was originally. This made me think.

I added up all my receipts for my repairs and service over the past 12 months and it came to a staggering R13 800 odd. I have a dual suspension and due my age, do not wind it like I used to.

According to my reckoning, with this sort of expenditure, it may be cheaper to buy a new bike every year! Have to give this some serious thought.

Does anybody else spend this sort of cash on R + M. or is this just a Durban thing?

JB, when are you coming to town?

Edited by Sepia

You are not alone. I go through bearings, brake pads, jockey wheels, etc. And then there is still the shock services.

it is faaarken expensive.

I ride a cheap singlespeed [sub R20k] and will spend about R4000 a year all in to keep it sweet, so R13 800 seems a bit steep...

Two rear derailleurs, a cluster, chain, Nobby nic set, shock services AND a rear (carbon) triangle - sorry but it is the same in P-town!

maybe your tyre was the problem,as they can be out of true,had this before.

I spend a fair amount on spares,but nil on service as I do it all myself,do find though it adds up.have three bikes to maintain.Allways been more of a blue coller worker though,and happen to enjoy maintaining my bikes, as much as riding them.

R13800 for maintenance, NO that's not right... for repairs, maybe... if you have major failure or damages due to bad luck or lack of talent (or both).

Here is my rough view to MTB maintenance:

0. Wash my bikes as soon as it looks dirty or after every wet/muddy ride

1. Every 50-75km's, Check wheels, brakes, gears, clean, torque stem/handlebars/clamps and post. Clean suspension stanchions, shock and seals, clean/re-lube chain

2. Every 1000km's

Replace Chain, Grease BB, Crank

Remove rear shock and grease all bushings/pivots.

3. Every 3000km's Replace Cassette & Chainrings, Check hubs, spokes and rims for wear and/or damage

4. Fork and Shock Maintenance, every 60 hours minor service, every 12-18 months major service.

Edited by TheV