29er please help

jared

Aaaaaah, now we know! The Santa Cruz Tallboy medium has a low standover height and is fine for most people 5'5"->

EDIT: Silverback also has a 27.5 duallie in its new lineup.

thanks will start looking at 27.5

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife test rode a Spesh fate 29er (women's specific ht) on Saturday. She is about the same height and therefore rode a small.

Even though the geometry on the fate is super-sorted (as one would expect from a Spesh), she suffered. She found the 29er marginally faster on the flat stuff, but the bigger wheels really hurt her on the climbs. I believe the biggest wheel that will work for her is 650B.

I firmly believe that 29 doesn't work for everyone.

Take her to your LBS and let her choose the one she wants - she'll take the pretty one 90% of the time

Even if it has sh1tty specs - if they want the pink one,they Want the pink one.

PS. thanks again for the Kit - real comfy thinking of getting some of the others you had.

At 1.62m she might have a problem with the standover height of many 29ers. She will HAVE to try all bikes on your shortlist. What about a 27.5? Bigger wheels than 26er, but not quite as tall as a 29er.

lol, larger wheels doesnt mean the bike stands taller.

best would be to try and ride both options and take it from there. she may well feel more comfortable on a 26", the 29" wheels take some effort to build up momentum, but thereafter the ride is good.

If you give us an indication of how much she is willing to spend and whether she wants a hardtail or dual-suspension, the folks around here will be much better equipped to give sound advice ;)

budget +- 20-25k

My wife test rode a Spesh fate 29er (women's specific ht) on Saturday. She is about the same height and therefore rode a small.

Even though the geometry on the fate is super-sorted (as one would expect from a Spesh), she suffered. She found the 29er marginally faster on the flat stuff, but the bigger wheels really hurt her on the climbs. I believe the biggest wheel that will work for her is 650B.

I firmly believe that 29 doesn't work for everyone.

With you on this. I find that on the small 29r it feels as if the wheels are too close together and it takes more effort to change direction esp on tight fast single track. (not sure if my explanation makes sense)

Take her to your LBS and let her choose the one she wants - she'll take the pretty one 90% of the time

Even if it has sh1tty specs - if they want the pink one,they Want the pink one.

PS. thanks again for the Kit - real comfy thinking of getting some of the others you had.

yip i know dam women!

glad you digg the kit

With you on this. I find that on the small 29r it feels as if the wheels are too close together and it takes more effort to change direction esp on tight fast single track. (not sure if my explanation makes sense)

thanks for the info it helps alot

Take her to your LBS and let her choose the one she wants - she'll take the pretty one 90% of the time Even if it has sh1tty specs - if they want the pink one,they Want the pink one.

Say what?? <_<

This should be within your budget. Top specced 650B machine and looks the business too!

http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011_website_SILVERBACK/2013/images/slider275.jpg

I'm 1.74 and ride a Medium 26 and Small 29r. I think she'll battle with a 29r.

I'm 177 and ride a medium 29er. But I think I get you on it, I feel I could maybe maybe fit into a small.

Best would be to try the bikes out, see if she fits on them. The 29er felt big for me at first, but now it's as easy as riding a bike.... well, yeah. Mostly.

My wife is 1.60m and weighs 50kg she did the JB2C on a 29er Hardtail ,she does have a 26er as well but prefers to ride the 29er,size not a problem,however do look at the gearing ratios on the the bike,she ride a 24/38 up front with a 11-36 at the back and is very racey

my wife is looking at getting a new mtb , but is in dire-straights , because of all the debate ?

i know she needs to test a few bikes but i need some more insight about this ?

she is 1.62m short and weighs 54kg?

she is into doing the half marathon Nissan series races and other similar ones too

what do you think she should do?

Tilley whats happening dude, can't believe these ou's on here have been so helpfull....

& from the first page nogal!??!

What happened to the Hi my name is Jared, I like to ride my bike & can bunny hop a sprinter van & wot wot????

I agree with the 650B idea, your missus isn't the tallest so a 29er might be a bit awkward for her

& she'll be the first one here with one...

By the way when are you lazy bastids gonna join us for the night rides again huh????

6:30 tonight, starting at Colin's house bing meat & dop for afterwards...

Tilley whats happening dude, can't believe these ou's on here have been so helpfull....

& from the first page nogal!??!

What happened to the Hi my name is Jared, I like to ride my bike & can bunny hop a sprinter van & wot wot????

I agree with the 650B idea, your missus isn't the tallest so a 29er might be a bit awkward for her

& she'll be the first one here with one...

By the way when are you lazy bastids gonna join us for the night rides again huh????

6:30 tonight, starting at Colin's house bing meat & dop for afterwards...

hey whats up !

sounds good need to purchase some lights again

almost had a divorce the last night ride i done at that farm :devil:

but ja must make a plan and join!