Noisy rear shock

martinsnyman

Hi Guys,

My dt swiss rear shock is squeeking like nobody's business!!! At the last trailseeker guys wanted to beat the sh*t outta me for causing such a raquet. Later on I was telling evryone it was my knee making the noise when I got the stare/glare. No seriously, how do I sort this out? Dont want to just spray anything on it that could cause damage to the seal or something?

Thanks

I have the same issue. Its normally a dry joint on your suspension, but in my case its the bushes and bearings which are farked.

So contacted a fellow hubber for help in getting the parts.

How old is the bike?

I have the same issue. Its normally a dry joint on your suspension, but in my case its the bushes and bearings which are farked.

So contacted a fellow hubber for help in getting the parts.

How old is the bike?

I'ts done like 350km boght new about two months ago - it's a 96 carbon Merida

Must be a dry joint.

Get grease from your lbs and lube the joints, but don't attempt it if you don't have a torque tool otherwise you risk it falling apart mid ride like an unfortunate hubber did.

I passed you at some stage, thought your bike wouldn't make it to the end.It has to be a dry joint, get a pro to lube the linkages for you.

I passed you at some stage, thought your bike wouldn't make it to the end.It has to be a dry joint, get a pro to lube the linkages for you.

Thx, will do

Hi Guys,

My dt swiss rear shock is squeeking like nobody's business!!! At the last trailseeker guys wanted to beat the sh*t outta me for causing such a raquet. Later on I was telling evryone it was my knee making the noise when I got the stare/glare. No seriously, how do I sort this out? Dont want to just spray anything on it that could cause damage to the seal or something?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks

One stage my bike sound like a donkiekar and I had no hope to get all the noise away even after a big service, and then I got the advice to check my seat post, take it out, clean it and give it a bit of oil. 95% of the time I had the problem it was all fixed when I clean the seat post

I had the same problem (Not on a Merida though) It was a knackerred DU bush on my Fox shock. Fitted a new set of bushes and the bike was as quiet as when it was new.

Hint: Don't buy your bushes from your LBS. Go to a bearing supplier like Bearing Man or Bearings International with a sample and buy from them. Alternatively give them OD, ID and length and they will get you the right bush. Assuming of course that your shock eye bushes are the problem... Could be a linkage bush or bearing. As mentioned check your seatpost as well.

Now that you mention it - the noise started at the #3 trailseeker, i did adjust the seat the evening before! Will give feedback - thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

Howzit guys, where can one get new bushes for this part of my rear shock... Ive seen a DIY on you tjoob and could do it but it looks like it can be a mission.

is it a BIG mission or better to lube up and bend over at a bike shop for them to do it?

Where can one get these bushes first of all, and does it come as a kit?

There is a little play and it was squeaking so I cleaned it and put some grease to shut it up until I get it sorted, ideally this coming week.

post-12441-0-92587300-1349420219_thumb.jpg

Howzit guys, where can one get new bushes for this part of my rear shock... Ive seen a DIY on you tjoob and could do it but it looks like it can be a mission.

is it a BIG mission or better to lube up and bend over at a bike shop for them to do it?

There is a little play and it was squeaking so I cleaned it and put some grease to shut it up until I get it sorted, ideally this coming week.

You need to measure the width of the bushes as well as the ID(where the bolt goes through).

Since you have a Fox shock you LBS can order Fox mounting hardware for you from Omnico.

By the looks of it your top mounting hardware as per the picture is 22mmx6mm where the width is 22mm and the ID is 6mm. When replacing the mounting hardware, make sure that you inspect the DU bushings as well, and replace them if required.

I replace DU bushes myself, but if you do not have the tool required for the job, it will be better to take your shock in for the replacement.

Edited by Brian Fantana

• 1 month later...

I ordered replacement bushes on www.igus.co.za

Parts were about R40 a bush and delivery was R150 to CT. Faster and cheaper than anyone in the Cycling industry can do for you...

I ordered replacement bushes on www.igus.co.za

Parts were about R40 a bush and delivery was R150 to CT. Faster and cheaper than anyone in the Cycling industry can do for you...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/122617-new-fox-mounting-hardware/page__hl__igus#entry1832869

I found out about them but didnt have all the specific measurements so had to take one in the nought and get it from a bike shop through Omnico.

Will get my next lot from Igus directly

Were the bushes you got from 'igus' just the standard sized DU bush? Did you still use the alu spacers or do you get plastic spacers too?