Momsen AL329 Vs Scott Aspect 910

DuneSurfer

Hi All

Need some advise. Looking at the Momsen AL329 and the Scott Aspect 910. Which would be the best buy?

Momsen AL329 Frame Race Tech 2, Alloy 6061 Butted Tubeset Fork SR Suntour Raidon RL, QR, Taper Crown Chainwheel Shimano M542 Deore 44/32/22T Bottom Bracket Shimano External Type F. Derailleur Shimano Alivio R. Derailleur Shimano SLX Shadow Shifter Shimano Alivio Brake Levers Shimano M445 Hydraulic Brakes Shimano M445 Hydraulic Cassette Shimano HG50, 11-34T Rims Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29, 32H Tires Continental X-King 2.4 Front, Race King 2.2 Rear Pedals Shimano M505 Clipless Handlebar New Alloy Flat Top 29er, 680mm, 31.8mm Oversize Stem New Alloy 3D Forged, 31.8mm Oversize Seatpost Alloy Micro-Adjust Seat New Momsen Race Cromo Rail Headset FSA No 42 for Taper, Alloy Colors Gloss Grey with Blue Details Chain Shimano HG53 9 Speed Hubset Shimano CenterLock, 32h Spokes Butted 2.0/1.8 Stainless Black 14g, Red Alloy Nipples Grips New Momsen Lock-On Extras None Weight 12.23kg ( Medium, Excl. Pedals )

Scott Aspect 910 Weight 13,2kg / 29,07lbs Frame SCOTT Aspect 29 Alloy 6061 Double Butted Performance geometry Integrated Headtube Fork Rock Shox XC32 TK 29 Solo Air Pop loc lockout reb. Adj. / 100 mm travel Headset Ritchey Logic OE integ. Derailleur (Rear) Shimano XT RD-M781 SGS / Shadow Type 30 Speed Derailleur (Front) Shimano Deore FD-M590-10 / 34.9mm Shifters Shimano Deore SL-M591-10 Rapidfire plus 2 way release w/gear indicator Brake Levers Shimano BL-M445 Brakes Shimano BR-M446 Hydr. Disc 180F/160R mm Rotor Crankset Shimano FC-M552 42Ax32Ax24S T BB-Set Shimano Cartridge 68mm shell Handlebar Syncros M2.5 660mm, black, 31,8mm 15mm rise 8° H'stem Syncros M2.5 JD-ST57 A Pedals Wellgo C 128 Seatpost Syncros M2.5, 31.6mm Seat Aspect SCT19 Hub (Front) Formula CL51 Hub (Rear) Shimano FH-RM 66-CL Chain KMC X10 Cassette Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-36 T Spokes 15 G, stainless, black Rims Syncros XC-49 Disc 32H, black Tires Schwalbe Rapid Rob 29 x 2.25 50TPI

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same two choices... Long story short... Because of the wheels, I will choose the Momsen.

You can upgrade the crank and shifters cheaply... The you have a kick-ass 29er!

Edited by dee_biker

No need to change the crank on the Momsen - the new spec Deore (for the past 3 years, actually) is a fantastic crank. Stiff, reasonably light and long lasting. The only thing you'll gain by going to SLX / XT is a weight advantage. You would not even notice the difference between them unless you're at a professional level. Plus, the chainrings are cheaper to replace when they wear out.

Only thing that would need changing in the long run (when they wear out / break or you crash) are the shifters. Alivio front mech is faultless, as is the SLX rear. For the moment though, the package on the Momsen supercedes the Scott, if only due to the wheels. You'll probably find that the majority of the weight savings are in the fork and the wheels anyway. Which would be big ticket items to replace.

I'd go for the Momsen. It's lighter, better specced ito wheels & fork, and has a good mix of parts. And it's cheaper. So you can use the difference in price to fund a better helmet / more bibs etc.

The Momsen is an awesome bike! I can't comment to much on the drive train as I bought the AL329 and converted it to a Single speed immediately. But as far as the handling goes on this bike, I prefer it to my Cannondale Flash 29'er. The Fork is relatively cheap, but performs really well. I aggree with cptmayhem, absolutely no need to change the crank. The only thing I may have changed would be the shifters. Everything else is pretty good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I decided to go for the Momsen but forked out some extra cash and went for the AL529. Really stoked!!

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I decided to go for the Momsen but forked out some extra cash and went for the AL529. Really stoked!!

Did the same, fantastic bike!