HRM - Endomondo???

martinsnyman

I see there is a function on Endomondo pro to connect a HRM via blue tooth, does anyone know where I could get a compatible HRM?

Thanks

I tried to find one in South African with little success, even the Polar suppliers referred me to the http://int.store.endomondo.com

website.

I purchased from them and it arrived in SA with in 2 weeks, a few months ago it cost me under R800 in total.

I bought one from Sportstracker on my Nokia and am now using it with Endomondo on my SGS3. It works perfectly.

I see Sportstracker now have their own branded one which I assume is still teh same thing. As long as it is a bluetooth HRM it should work fine (EDIT: I seen they mention Android, Bada and Symbian in the description so it will work if you are using one of those). $79.90 I see the Sportstracker one now has a USB charger. My Polar one requires one of those small batteries. I have only change it once in over two years though.

A search for Polar Bluetooth HRM brings up this site. That is the one I have that I reviewed as part of a competition. They give options for suppliers.

I'd do the exchange rate conversion, check delivery costs, and see which is cheapest. They do not charge you VAT as you are outside of Europe. With exchange rates it seems a dollar price might be a better bet.

Edited by Clint_ZA

martin do you have any other devices? Polar, phone etc.

Also have a look at strava and the garmin edge 500.

martin do you have any other devices? Polar, phone etc.

Also have a look at strava and the garmin edge 500.

Out of interest, what would the cheapest GPS unit or watch be that could display your heart rate, distance, time, speed, calories and log your track?

Out of interest, what would the cheapest GPS unit or watch be that could display your heart rate, distance, time, speed, calories and log your track?

Not quite sure but using a phone + dongle + hr strap you should be able to do it for R 1,000 (excl phone)

Bryton is probably cheapest other option

Edited by jcza

I'm also interested in a bluetooth HR strap for Xmass, and am interested in opinions...?

I love using endomundo on my S3, and the HR strap would really make it an excellent "package", if it all works well. I have a fairly cheap Polar (the HR belt is incompatible), but it doesn't do so well for intervals (no lap timer or pre programmed workout), and obviously doesn't have GPS.

The 2 disadvantages for me are:

1) I don't (and wouldn't) mount my phone on my bike, so its more for post ride analysis. Having said that, its great for running and with HR would be great on the indoor trainer.

2) I have to carry an expensive phone around. I used to just carry an old cheap nokia, if something happened to it I don't care.

Not quite sure but using a phone + dongle + hr strap you should be able to do it for R 1,000 (excl phone)

Bryton is probably cheapest other option

Indeed, that is precisely what I was wondering. It would cost less though. If you already have the phone, and take it when you go cycling, you would be looking at around R500 to add the HRM (based on the dollar prices). Of course if you wanted to mount your phone you'd have to pay for a mount too but I just throw mine in my camelbak and check it afterwards.

Indeed, that is precisely what I was wondering. It would cost less though. If you already have the phone, and take it when you go cycling, you would be looking at around R500 to add the HRM (based on the dollar prices). Of course if you wanted to mount your phone you'd have to pay for a mount too but I just throw mine in my camelbak and check it afterwards.

What do you do with this HRM data after the ride if you're not seeing it during the ride?

Remember the HRM does not work if the phone is in your backpack. Also bear in mind that bluetooth is not as reliable as using a dongle (or a dedicated device)

What do you do with this HRM data after the ride if you're not seeing it during the ride?

I am not racing. I am not specifically training for anything either. So I have no need to actively monitor my heart rate, cadence, power etc. However, it is nice to be able to take a look after a ride and see how much you exerted yourself compared to how you felt. The same way it is nice to see how far you went, how much climbing you did and your average speed. It is also nice to be able to look back and compare rides from when I first started to now and "analysing" my heart rate to see if there are changes on average.

Remember the HRM does not work if the phone is in your backpack.

Mine works fine in the side pouch of the camelbak.

I am not racing. I am not specifically training for anything either. So I have no need to actively monitor my heart rate, cadence, power etc. However, it is nice to be able to take a look after a ride and see how much you exerted yourself compared to how you felt. The same way it is nice to see how far you went, how much climbing you did and your average speed. It is also nice to be able to look back and compare rides from when I first started to now and "analysing" my heart rate to see if there are changes on average.

Cool that makes sense. I don't ride with one either because I just go as fast as I feel like but comparing your heart rate over a course looking back to compare fitness can be interesting.

Any advice as to how to improve my VO2max ?