2 km swim within 10 days??

Garfield2010

on the topic of swimming, has anyone done the ashanti dam swim in paarl? I'm considering doing the 1km swim and was just curious to know if it's a single 1km lap or if it's a multiple lap swim.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty good. I'd be happy with that time. I'm doing the 2km in 40min but in the pool.

Well the dam was like a pool. And you get better rythm in a dam cuz you dont have to turn the whole time!

Haha

Went well.

Swam 3 times. 400m, 1km and 1.25km.

At the race I did the 1.9km swim in 39 minutes. Very happy!

Good time for so little training.

Haha

Went well.

Swam 3 times. 400m, 1km and 1.25km.

At the race I did the 1.9km swim in 39 minutes. Very happy!

And you managed to swim faster than me ( 1 minute ) and I had a whole bunch of swimming training. Must say though I cruised the swim when I got out the water I could easily have done another 2k's even had time to have a quick chat to the wife and get a good luck kiss. Lets not mention the frikken calf cramp in the middle of the swim !!!???

And you managed to swim faster than me ( 1 minute ) and I had a whole bunch of swimming training. Must say though I cruised the swim when I got out the water I could easily have done another 2k's even had time to have a quick chat to the wife and get a good luck kiss. Lets not mention the frikken calf cramp in the middle of the swim !!!???

Haha well done. I dont get how you can cramp at the beginning of a race. Try crampblock at dischem. I take 2 for 5 days before the race. Never cramped since!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did my first 1km open water swim at ashanti dam on saturday. Went a lot better than expected. In the 1st 25m I was wondering what I was doing as the nerves got to me and the water was cold. But then I got into a nice pattern of just breathing every stroke for the next 200m or so and was then able to breathe every 3rd stroke. Managed to freestyle swim most of the way with a bit of breast stroke every 75m or so just to make sure I was heading in the right way. Not sure of my time yet but I'm hoping it was 25min which I'm happy with. All in all I'm happy with the swim and felt like I could have gone further. Oh I didn't use a wetsuit and think it was a good choice as my arms just felt free and I could breathe properly

Just got the provisional results and did even better than thought. My official time was 20m31s..... very chuffed with that. And I was 3rd in the mens 31-40 age group.... only 9 people but hey

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone make a suggestion re getting a wetsuit for 70.3? Can I hire/rent one? Not sure about buying one just yet.

CHeers!