The solution to (drunk) motorists killing other road users? Opinions/Suggestions:

Bennie Dikwiel

here's a question to Mr Leon

where were you, where were all his friends, why did you not drive him home, (ye he made the mistake of his life, and sadly he will pay for it for the rest of his life, sadder thing is so will Clen's family, and he paid with his life) designated driver, simple enough system, enough friends, one pics to be the DDD of the evening.

That would have been being there for friend.

Guessing allot of his friends were not in a much better state,

from what you read around, it was not his first time driving like this, a mistake you make once, he made a habit of it, it was basically when will the penny drop.

As fort he pics, it's in the open/public media, news papers already. only time you not allowed to show the car with number plate, if the charges has not been made yet, in this case everyone knows who he is.

G

You mean like 'Look at all my FB Friends - I have 735!' kind of friend?

Silly question.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not allowed to post pictures of his number-plate. Don't worry I am taking this up now

According to what law?

The same photos were in The Herald, at least two days in a row, so I don't see why a forum for cyclists, on a thread concerned about cyclists' (and others') safety, where we try to encourage lawful behaviour (that means cycling not only according to traffic laws but sensibly as well) should take down these photos??

leon00, welcome to the hub, but what are you doing here? if you feel victimised, I wouldn't look for any sympathy here especially if you can't be bothered to read this thread and see what it's about.

Why on earth are people defending Andre Gouws ?

He committed three heinous crimes !!

End of story

Get a life people, there is no defending that.

He robbed a wife of her husband , children of their father and grand kids of their grand dad he must eternally pay for his CRIMES !!

Edited by jules 26er

According to what law?

The same photos were in The Herald, at least two days in a row, so I don't see why a forum for cyclists, on a thread concerned about cyclists' (and others') safety, where we try to encourage lawful behaviour (that means cycling not only according to traffic laws but sensibly as well) should take down these photos??

leon00, welcome to the hub, but what are you doing here? if you feel victimised, I wouldn't look for any sympathy here especially if you can't be bothered to read this thread and see what it's about.

This is a cycling forum not the Andre Gouws supporters forum !!

According to what law?

Precisely why I asked. Mr Internet Developer, please quote us the legislature that says this, failing that, tell us when you are going to court to get an interdict to remove these photos. Every member of this forum will stand behind the owner of thehubsa at that hearing.

Edited by TNT1

imho. If you hit and run where there is a fatality, especially in this case where the accused could not argue he did not know he hit someone, there should be no bail. There is just no chance of the accused being innosent in this case.

imo: drunk drivers should be charged not with DUI but rather immediately with attempted murder as that is exactly what they are doing.

This I agree with.

I'm fairly optimistic though that this guy is going to land up with a substantial jail sentence. Even if he only serves a small part of it, it will seriously change his life.

One-time hubber, Dave Hanton was killed while running by an idiot also driving on the wrong side of the road (he hit Dave from behind) who also tried to drive off (had his keys taken away) then tried to pretend it was someone else driving the car... that guy, Zingisile Nikelo, now an ex-army corporal, is in jail for culpable homicide.

Doesn't help Dave's family.

Doesn't help Nikelo's family.

Doesn't seem to help a whole bunch of other idiots who seem to think that this kind of thing is just an "accident". That's what we need to work at changing - so people understand BEFORE they kill someone that their actions have consequences for which they are personally responsible.

But I get the strong impression the DPP's office, the magistrates and the Department of Transport are beginning to see the need to take a strong line on such completely irresponsible behaviour.

I still say we need to work at it from the other end as well: IT IS NOT OK TO DRIVE DRUNK, whether you kill someone or not.

This is a cycling forum not the Andre Gouws supporters forum !!

Me?

I'm not on your wavelength if you're referring to my post?

(Sometimes wonder if I'm on anyone's wavelength, true)

But I get the strong impression the DPP's office, the magistrates and the Department of Transport are beginning to see the need to take a strong line on such completely irresponsible behaviour.

Based on the length of time it's taking to get to the end of the JubJub judgement, I also remain hopeful.

Precisely why I asked. Mr Internet Developer, please quote us the legislature that says this, failing that, tell us when you are going to court to get an interdict to remove these photos. Every member of this forum will stand behind the owner of thehubsa at that hearing.

Yup, yup and yup.

It is largely a result of 1. A piss poor example on the part of parents, generally due to a lack of involvement by one or both.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying but I'm not so sure about this... Just from family experience, seeing my aunt and uncle struggle to deal with a completely delinquent son. They've probably got it right, but it's very difficult to say what the right thing is to do when you have a son who steals your car before he has his driver's licence - not once, twice. Their situation could have been quite similar to Mr Gouws senior right now... I don't know. Just saying find out first before blame starts to heap up round the family front door.

Me?

I'm not on your wavelength if you're referring to my post?

(Sometimes wonder if I'm on anyone's wavelength, true)

Sorry mate replied incorrectly was directly this at Leon00.

Sorry mate replied incorrectly was directly this at Leon00.

No fine!! I re-read that part of the thread (slowly this time) so saw what you were aiming at. Just couldn't get with the Leon Programme...