Coincidence?

leeannc

Is it normal to send your bike in for a brake bleed and get it back with the front fork leaking oil everywhere?

So annoyed :cursing: now it's back in the shop for who knows how long :(

From what I've seen on hub and seen in real life, sending ones bike into a bike shop for a service invariably ends with the bike being worse off then when it went in.

Before people get on their high horses there are bike shops out there that do know what they are doing and do a good job, it just seems that they getting far and few between.

I guess its a case of either learn to do it yourself or trial and error till you find a bike shop that consistently does a good job with no comebacks.

and to answer your question no its not normal, give them a bit of stick because they should have checked the bike properly before giving it back to you,

This is why I have booked and paid to do the yellow saddle course later this year. In future I will be able to sort my bicycle out and/or check the workmanship from a shop. I can service my own car and motorbike (not that I do these days, but I do have the know how) so I should darned well learn to sort my own bicycles out as well.

I sincerely doubt that it is a case of coming back worse than what it went in.

There is almost nothing one can do other than malicious mischief, to make a fork leak. It if wanted to leak, it will leak. You may not have noticed the leak before or, a little bit of movement could have been the last straw. Perhaps it was left upside down. However, I'm certain it is not of their doing.

Whether they should have phoned you and asked if they can repair a fault that they noticed, is another matter.

Dont be too quick to shoot the mechanic.

Unless they have a not liable sign,then they must fix,regardless of stories. :thumbdown:

You are not serious, are you?

Please explain how they are liable.

There is almost nothing one can do other than malicious mischief, to make a fork leak. It if wanted to leak, it will leak. You may not have noticed the leak before or, a little bit of movement could have been the last straw. Perhaps it was left upside down. However, I'm certain it is not of their doing.

Whether they should have phoned you and asked if they can repair a fault that they noticed, is another matter.

I am trying to be nice about it, I know that it could happen and not be their fault at all, but with coincidence it is hard not to blame them :eek:

I agree with what your saying Johan

having the brakes bled would not have caused the fork to leak, but surely the shop should have given the bike a nice look over and not JUST looked at the brakes.

what I was trying to say is that from what I've noticed is there seem to be more cases of bikes leaving shops worse then they went in, and dont even let me get started with simple things that quite a few bike shops I've been to cant get right like indexing derailer's :cursing: which is why I've been learning to do all my own work through youtube and manufacturers manuals etc. granted a botch up quite a bit along the way but then at least its my own fault and I'm not paying someone to make the same mistake a novice makes.

Unless one just hear's more about thing that go wrong, because there are more people doing the sport now meaning more possibilities that someone will have something go wrong and rant and rave about it

You are not serious, are you?

Please explain how they are liable.

Should of def been a test ride to ensure bike was properley serviced,& not tested by the same mech.Also how do you know 1 of the casual staff didnt take it for a ride around the block. :ph34r:

Remember this is a LBS JB & not your workshop.Might not happen in yours but....

& im serious,think its time clients come with their own receipt/invoice & set of rules to the workshop when they paying. :thumbup:

Should of def been a test ride to ensure bike was properley serviced,& not tested by the same mech.Also how do you know 1 of the casual staff didnt take it for a ride around the block. :ph34r:

Remember this is a LBS JB & not your workshop.Might not happen in yours but....

& im serious,think its time clients come with their own receipt/invoice & set of rules to the workshop when they paying. :thumbup:

Reading this cockamamie bullspit, can I respectfully ask again, wtf does LBS stand for? Is it Local or Leading? Cause if it's local I don't get it, why use em just for convenience and then cry like a girl (no offence Lee) and if it's leading, most of the LBS stories on da 'ub make it perfectly clear they are not leading anything, except maybe the way to the bottom. What gives?

It's a stupid, pointless, meaningless acronym.

Edited by TNT1

Reading this cockamamie bullspit, can I respectfully ask again, wtf does LBS stand for? Is it Local or Leading? Cause if it's local I don't get it, why use em just for convenience and then cry like a girl (no offence Lee) and if it's leading, most of the LBS stories on da 'ub make it perfectly clear they are not leading anything, except maybe the way to the bottom. What gives?

It's a stupid, pointless, meaningless acronym.

WTF? FWIW it is just easier to say LBS than "bike shop in the local suburb town 'hood neighbourhood ". Obviously that is all IMHO

WTF? FWIW it is just easier to say LBS than "bike shop in the local suburb town 'hood neighbourhood ". Obviously that is all IMHO

Might be easier, still doesn't explain what it is.

From what I've seen on hub and seen in real life, sending ones bike into a bike shop for a service invariably ends with the bike being worse off then when it went in.

usually a case of people only really moaning and not praising...i.e. you only hear of the *** not the good.

For me its a case of having learnt myself and doing most of the std maintenance and then taking it my tried and tested LBS that does a really good job with the more finicky things (my folks bought my first bike from them!)

Speaking of home workshop...JB you need to arrange to do some courses in KZN...i could assist with organizing through ROAG if you are keen...