Avid Elixir 5 adjustment

Ispeed_V

In my case more so, I have had the bike for about a year and it has not been done in that time, probably not for a long time before it either.

Im a pretty hands on guy so Im going to try and ghetto it just for the experience(saw some homemade stuff on mbr) if that fails dismally then I will take it to the LBS.

I changed my brake pads last night and I cant even get the rotor between the rear pads.

Im a real noob with maintenance on disk brakes but it looks like the pistons aren't going the whole way back in.

I tried pressing them back in with a screwdriver but they wont go, any advice on what to do next?

Could be air has got in and is taking up some of the internal fluid volume. Or the brakes were previously bled with worn pads in place and now have too much fluid in and can't retract all the way. Or you are not pushing hard enough to retract them.

It should only need moderate steady pressure. I use two small spanner heads or a spanner head with broad bladed screwdriver. Both are slightly wedged and gentle leverage does the trick. Be sure to push them in straight. If the pistons are angled they will bind against the cylinder walls.

I changed my brake pads last night and I cant even get the rotor between the rear pads.

Im a real noob with maintenance on disk brakes but it looks like the pistons aren't going the whole way back in.

I tried pressing them back in with a screwdriver but they wont go, any advice on what to do next?

Hi Rocket Boy what make of pads did you use? I need to change mine but the Avid replacement pads are like over R300. I saw other generic makes which are cheaper but not sure on their quality or performance.

Anyone can reccomend a good aftermarket brand of disc pads?

Hi Rocket Boy what make of pads did you use? I need to change mine but the Avid replacement pads are like over R300. I saw other generic makes which are cheaper but not sure on their quality or performance.

Anyone can reccomend a good aftermarket brand of disc pads?

Quaxar are pretty decent, around R 200 for the sintered versions and R 100 for the organic ones.

Quaxar are pretty decent, around R 200 for the sintered versions and R 100 for the organic ones.

Concur. And they get rid of the Avid Warble / squeel too.

Quite long lasting, been using them for yonks.

Thanks for the reccomendation guys, i need to try and source a set of the Quaxar pads from here is Jhb, Cyclosport only stocks the semi-metalic Elixer pads.