Mugging & Attempted Mugging - Paarden Island bike lane (near N1)

Rydogg

Just a heads up:

A guy got hijacked yesterday on the cycle lane. 2 guys with knives stopped him and took his bike and bag.

+/- 5pm @ the bridge over the train tacks (near Church Street bridge). They were waiting behind that big hole in the fence next to the train tracks.

Damm, this sucks!

Edit by Admin - A detailed account from a family member was posted in a separate thread, see the post below.

Just a warning to those guys who use the Bike lanes in Paarden Island (ct)

My Uncle was cycling home last night after work at 5:30pm, he spotted a guy standing next to the bike lane just otherside of the tunnel near the N1, the guy was looking in the other direction so he didnt think too much of it.

As he got close (+- 30kph) the guy kicked backwards/sideways and knocked him clean off his bike.

He stood up and started shouting and the guy pulled a knife out, so my uncle turned around, picked up his bike and decided to fight back (he is about 6 foot 6 and strong as an ox). The attacker had a mate who then appeared but they decided to abort the attack and then casually walked away and through a gap in the nearby fence.

Be safe out there guys.

See the full post here

Update by Admin - 11 Oct 2012 @ 08:27am

The City was prompt in getting touch with us after the various posts here and tweets about the incident yesterday and representatives were quickly connected with the victim in this incident.

Here is an update from the City (forwarded by semisub):

Incidents like these must please be reported to transport.info@capetown.gov.za or 0800 65 64 63.

The incident was also brought to IRT Operations attention via Cllr Brett Herron and is receiving urgent attention.

They have recently been in contact with the neighbouring entity who erected the fence, but am pleased to report that an order for repair has finally been issued and our service provider should be doing the repair work very soon.

The City is also investigating other methods of monitoring the area and SAPS and Law Enforcement were requested to patrol the area more frequently.

They have assured us of their commitment to explore all available options to ensure the safety of cyclists and pedestrians in the area.

You can follow the progress in the thread discussion below.

Edited by Admin
Threads merged, detailed report added to the earlier post

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd raise this with Helen Zille office Asap, she also rides (aka she's one of us)... She will get someone onto making/keeping cycling safe very quickly.

G

All these recent hi-jackings and thefts is certainly scaring the crap out of me. Is anywhere safe to ride anymore?

It is for this reason alone you will not find me on the cycle lane along this stretch. Aside from permanently having a police presence stationed here, they will never get around the surrounding factors of having decided to make the path follow this quiet and unobserved area. If you were a thief you couldn't plan for a better setup than this location!

Maybe not police, but camera's, being monitored. lots of lights, fix the fence, police patrols in the area, past the point.

make it a stupid spot to try something.

G

All these recent hi-jackings and thefts is certainly scaring the crap out of me. Is anywhere safe to ride anymore?

I wouldn't stress too much dude. Just use your common sense. I've been on the bike going on 13 years for commuting and extra training time, the majority of which I've been solo and I've avoided doing the obvious, such as travelling the same route day in and day out especially on semi dodgy areas. If I have to ride extra to get around known hotspots I do it with pleasure, as I am after all trying to time in the saddle!

This kind of thing is big news here, because its not something that's very common.

I month ago we came across a girl and older guy wearing outriders kit that was also robbed on that exact spot. I say we catch th mthfckers and tie them to the railroad tracks

It is for this reason alone you will not find me on the cycle lane along this stretch. Aside from permanently having a police presence stationed here, they will never get around the surrounding factors of having decided to make the path follow this quiet and unobserved area. If you were a thief you couldn't plan for a better setup than this location!

Defintely will need to chat to you, if its OK, about where I can and where I shouldn't ride alone, most of my riding is always alone, this is gonna be hard for me coming from safe areas and NEVER feeling threatened.

Find Zille or Nick Clelland on Twitter. He is an avid cyclist as well. He is the spin doctor for province. Zak Mbele is her spokesperson on Twitter as well.

Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Germany .... Indoor trainer?

Defintely will need to chat to you, if its OK, about where I can and where I shouldn't ride alone, most of my riding is always alone, this is gonna be hard for me coming from safe areas and NEVER feeling threatened.

I train alone most days but late morning in week. I never use the cycle lane from Church street to town. I rather take my chances with cars on N1 on the short stretch to Oswald Pirow street. That stretch on cycle lane should only be done in a group.Did u find a place yet?

Edited by MCipollini

Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Germany .... Indoor trainer?

lol, Give me time, I've still to get to Cape Town.

No probs! Don't let anxiety get the better of you. There are plenty of riding spots and routes that you wont feel threatened on.

No probs! Don't let anxiety get the better of you. There are plenty of riding spots and routes that you wont feel threatened on.

+1

Just a heads up:

A guy got hijacked yesterday on the cycle lane. 2 guys with knives stopped him and took his bike and bag.

+/- 5pm @ the bridge over the train tacks (near Church Street bridge). They were waiting behind that big hole in the fence next to the train tracks.

Damm, this sucks!

Do you know the chap is?? Name perhaps??