I am 1,81cm tall. What size road bike frame should I buy?

Romulus

I've heard that I should buy a bike with a frame size between 56cm and 58cm. Please advise. I'm 1,81cm tall.

Your best bet would be to go to your LBS and try out a frame or two.

Frame geometries differ as does cm sizing on frames.

I've heard that I should buy a bike with a frame size between 56cm and 58cm. Please advise. I'm 1,81cm tall.

Are you looking for a compact frame, or a "normal" frame?

It depends on your riding style... I am 1.81m and I ride in large frame, but I should race in medium frame.

It is better to ask for bike set-up and they will tell you which frame you should buy. Some have long legs or short legs...

... with a frame size between 56cm and 58cm...

Way to big, me thinks. In any case, height is not the only determinant.

Lot's of info on the web, but I kind of like these guys' Fit Calculator (very small link to the right of the Search button, at the upper right of the page) http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

Bike size is not really detirmined by your height. (that could be recified with the stem lenght).

Your inseam is the one you should look at and multiply that with 0.65 and that should give you a rough estimate of what size you need to go for. I normally go a bike size smaller but that is personal preference.

Edited by TarmacSL

Get a basic Ergofit done. Should be less than R400. It narrows down your frame choices and gives you parameters for top tube, reach, head tube, stem length, setback, crank length etc. You might fit a large frame but then something like a Tarmac will have a shallow head tube and you need more spacers to raise your handles else you will have shoulder and back discomfort after a long ride. You might then be more suited to a Roubaix as an example. Changing stems and cranks can be costly.

One manufacturer's Medium is another's Large.

I am 1.8m tall and ride a Med Giant TCR Advanced with a 55.5cm top tube.

So to answer your original question, you should be looking at a frame with 55-56cm top tube.

MCipollini's suggestion of getting an Ergofit measurement done is very good.

It gives you guideline on optimum frame size and bike setup based on your measurements, so you can shop for a bike accordingly.

Im 1.85. Ride a large with a 55.5 top tube and a 17cm head tube, 100 mm stem. I use 2 spacers on my steerer, anything lower and I get shoulder pain when riding > 2hrs. A Spez Tarmac, Dale Evo etc have very shallow head tubes. Finding the right head tube and then the top tube is too long meaning I need a shorter stem or my setback is limited in relation to my BB and then my leverage is reduced. A Spez Roubaix is better suited to my frame oh and a Dogma and a C59. Choices , choices.

Theres an Ergofit and BG Fit thread in Tech QnA for more reading. Contact details are also supplied for fitters.

Edited by MCipollini

You'll most likely end up in the 54-56cm top tube bracket.

Do a free online fit. You'll need to take quite a few measurements, but its worth the effort.

The fit calculator at competitivecyclist.com is the one I prefer. It has been very useful for me for road and mtb.

Ergofit +1. it will save you money and pain in the long run.

Your height is only one part of the equation.

Compare my numbers with MCipollini. He is 185, I'm 181. You'd think he would use a longer reach than me but he doesn't.

He rides a 55.5 TT with a 100 stem. I ride a 56 TT with a 115 stem.

We are all assembled differently.

I think at 1.81 a 58 will be too big,

As mentioned a lot depends on the frame manufacturer and your build.