First Road bike advice Large Rider tight budget

Ryan

You could probably get away with a large. Get a fit first to make sure you getting the bike with the right geometry. Seen a couple of good deals on large bikes here.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest to search the web for a site that will tell you what size frame you need.

Then go to a bike shop and tell them you looking for a bike, they'll measure you up and also tell you what size frame you'll need. Then they'll show you what they have available, you listen and then tell them that you going to think about it.

Both frame sizes should be the same, if not visit another bike shop.

Once you know what size you need you can let us know or you can just have a look in the classifieds.

Just remember that just about every manufacturer measures their bikes differently. So a Large in this branch might be a Extra Large in another brand.

Wheels: you want wheels with lots of spokes but I think the wheels you'll find on a bike of your budget should do.

Try The Sports Basement on Humber Road in Woodmead for clearance bikes. They have Jamis and Trek alu and carbon bikes with 105. Carbon is overrated. Get a decent alu bike with solid wheels and that will give you a few years of good solid riding until you get fit and strong and ready to transition to a race bike.

I am a big lad too,2m and just under 100 kg,here is my advice based on 27 years riding! Avoid carbon,your weight and tubing length will flex it too easily,stick to alu,all my bikes are alu and just as light as carbon! Avoid compact or sloping bikes,the frame is smaller but the seat post is longer to compensate and will flex more! I suggest looking at Cannondale,Merckx or any other good brand!

http://www.thehubsa....-s30-brand-new/

http://www.thehubsa....s-60-road-bike/

Nothing wrong with Tiagra, just below 105. Upgrade as things wear out.

Absolutely! I ride an ali Schwynn with a Tiagra groupset and Alex rims. I am around the 100kg mark and have been riding the Schwynn for a while as a morning training bike without any hassles. Not the lightest ride around at 10kg without anything on it but it woun't break easily.

To get the right fit have a look here:

Competitive Cyclist

I used that to size my bike. I was on a budget close to yours. made a compromise or two in sizing and the Schwynn came in at a good price with reasonable components from Obike's clearance stock.

Good luck thumbup1.gif

Hi

There is only 1 bike for large riders Cannondale.

Look for an old Cad 3 or Caad 5, super strong frames.

I'm 193cm and 100kg (started cycling at 111kg), so here's my 2 cents worth....

1. Do buy stong wheels and do have them trued and spokes tightened after a few rides. (MAVIC makes a few models, so to say they break is maybe a sweeping statement). Check the weight limits of what you get with the bike and upgrade/swop if neccessary.

2. Do get measured for saddle fit too, them road bikes eat your a$$! eek.gif

3. Do fit some gel inserts under the bar tape, them road bars chow your hands too.

4. Agree, Scott 20 or CR1 are good buys and have a more relaxed geometry. Alu frames give a harsher ride than steel or carbon but are a solid way to start.

5. Look at the clasifieds; "Clydesdale" size bikes are notoriously difficult to sell, so there are some good deals to be had if you're patient.

6. Do stick to MTB to meet nice girls....or so I've been told!clap.gif

7. Don't cycle on the road in PE.cursing.gif

Oh sorry, I am also 1.82, 123kg, I know overweight.....

Takes hard work to build a body like that Boet ; )

As the previous guys mentioned Scott is reliable , i got a S2 about a yr now done +-6k km without any issues, has 105 groupset , im 1.85m (90kg) and its a M (54cm) thumbup1.gif

Mavic open Pro's are solid wheels

Heavier but really bullet proof are DRC but they do not come standard on any bike that i know of.

Alex wheels in my experience are the worst for weightier riders, ended up donating them.