Cracked Carbon on BB

Helpmytrap

Was busy washing my bike earlier when I spotted this: (Sorry for the quality well lack thereof)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8100447204_2e926434a3_z.jpg

The crack (line that runs along the curvature on the top of BB) has a slight ridge to it so I'm not sure if it's just a surface crack or worse. I plan to take the bike to my LBS on Saturday but is this something I should be worried about? It's a 4 month old Silverback Storm 1.0.

That don't look so good dude. I'm gonna have a look @ mine tomorrow morning. But it could either be the Matt clear coat cracking due to the movement around the bb ( dude serious watts ) or it could be that the bb shell in the frame was not built into the frame properly so difinately a warranty claim

That's just my un-educated 2c's worth use or don't use it

Stay sharp and frosty

broken. eek.gif

seen similar things on a Bulls and a Scott, The aluminium BB shel has separated from the carbon.

I doubt that serious watts were involved. Whether you're a "dude" or not. Once the BB is installed there is no torsional force between it and the BB shell.

However. Ask your bike shop to remove the crank while you're there. Now fit a BB spanner onto that BB and manipulate it (without loosening the BB) and see if there is movement between the BB Shell and frame. Your photo isn't clear enough to show the construction up properly, but I suspect that crack is just on a filler ridge around the BB shell insert. An insert that's loose usually creaks.

Will see what they say in the next hour.

Stop skidding so much. That cross mark on the back looks tired after only 4 months.

Not the case, been doing some serious mileage; 3 615km in those 4 monthsthumbup1.gif

My new frame arrived this morning. clap.gif

So quick question, am I liable for the labour charges of stripping and rebuilding the bike?

Depends on the shop. A really nice shop won't charge you.

Should also not be more than about R250 for the rebuild I think.

They estimated R500, but surely they should be claiming this from Silverback since it's a warrantee replacement?

Be fair on the bike shop. If you support them regularly and you bought the frame from them, I would say a small fee for cables, consumables etc should be payable. There is always a physical and labour cost to building a bike over.

If you didn't buy from them, don't expect them to oblige and do it all for free. Warrantees usually cover the parts and that is all. Most are even written that way. Often a warrantee replacement is expensive. E.g. I recently did one for a brake banjo that failed. The manufacturer supplied a new hose. There was shortening, bleeding and cleaning of a caliper involved which the customer had to foot.

Fair's fair.

Be fair on the bike shop. If you support them regularly and you bought the frame from them, I would say a small fee for cables, consumables etc should be payable. There is always a physical and labour cost to building a bike over.

If you didn't buy from them, don't expect them to oblige and do it all for free. Warrantees usually cover the parts and that is all. Most are even written that way. Often a warrantee replacement is expensive. E.g. I recently did one for a brake banjo that failed. The manufacturer supplied a new hose. There was shortening, bleeding and cleaning of a caliper involved which the customer had to foot.

Fair's fair.

I understand, been supporting this LBS for years now and I bought the bike there. But surely R500 is a bit steep or am I wrong?