29er on indoor trainer

Slakkepas

I`m doing a bit of research on buying `n indoor trainer.

I`ve been told that you can fit a 29er on a Tacx genius trainer if you change the back to a road wheel.

Anyone done this? Can it be done?

Thanks

I`m doing a bit of research on buying `n indoor trainer.

I`ve been told that you can fit a 29er on a Tacx genius trainer if you change the back to a road wheel.

Anyone done this? Can it be done?

Thanks

Yes, just put a 700c road tyre or trainer tyre on there and you're good to go

Be aware of high speeds. The bearings seem not to enjoy the speeds. Had to return mine for warranty.wacko.png

Also not quite true. My 29er frame is too big for a giant idt. I need to put a 26 inch wheel on the back.

Do a search. there was a similar thread about 2 weeks back

Taxc will be releasing an adapter kit that moves the roller further back for 29ers... not sure on what their progress is

The Cyclops trainers were designed to take a 29er wheel. It is never going to be a great experience with a knobby wheel though.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought myself a 29er with a 10 speed cassette. I have a 26" wheel with a 9 speed cassette which I use on my indoor trainer. Can I use this on my new bike or am I going to mess something up? I will obviously be careful with shifting etc not to take it to either the largest or smallest cog at the back.

Edited by lapa

I just bought myself a 29er with a 10 speed cassette. I have a 26" wheel with a 9 speed cassette which I use on my indoor trainer. Can I use this on my new bike or am I going to mess something up? I will obviously be careful with shifting etc not to take it to either the largest or smallest cog at the back.

Not ideal ... your 10spd chain is narrower than 9spd.

It will work in some gears but also remember that the pull increments differs with between 9 and 10 speed on the shifters.

Your gears will be jumping around quite a bit .... normally somewhere in the middle.

Just put a 10spd cassette on the 26er wheel and off you go!

Edited by Tankman