Feeling bleak - horrible race

Scooterza

So yesterday I did the Midvaal Challenge and I hit SUCH a wall at 90km! WOW! I have done this a few times before when I first started racing (hit the wall I mean).

I thought I was a bit wiser now and know how to pace myself but I went too hard at the start and BAM! Payback time came along. First 90km average was around 31km/h. Last 10km average was 20km/hr odd. Eish! Feeling quite depressed to that I missed 3 hours by 30 minutes as well - not even close! I keep hoping it was just a bad day.

You need to look at your pre-race prep and carbo loading, as well as your eating habits during the race. I have explained in a thread somewhere on here how to do it the easy way as a first try.

Energy use during a race is a strange thing - going too hard uses massive amounts more intramuscular energy resources than a small amount slower, but you can to a large extent in a sub 5 hour race combat this with proper prep and feeding during the race.

I was just reading some of the nutrition topics (looking for V12's post) and read a bit about the 32gi. I must check but I think I was drinking the endurance drink (I usually drink Cytomax). I suspect this may have had something to do with it as I see that for high intensity riding (yesterday was pretty intense) you should try their other drink - Accelerate.

Many riders use a gel for that sugar / sucrose kick over the final 20 mins...

Edited by Puncheur